How to Get Real Height Data

m121c

Re: How to Get Real Height Data

Post by m121c »

1/9 was not available for that track. I moved on to a diffrent track and it does have 1/9.(It does a resembelance of a track) So I downloaded the refrence and the geotiff. Opened in microdem and converted the geotiff to grayscale and save it as a png. Then I opened it in photoshop and lined it up with the refrence photo. The image is 538 x 518 and is pretty close to the track. Here is a picture of the refrence:

Now my question is where do I go from here? How do I make it so the size of the track is accurate in the game? I also need help to figure the scale of the track. I understand to use the excel spreadsheet but I dont exactly know what part that is for? Thanks for any help that is given.
I can post any of the files if anyone wants to look at them.
kona309

Post by kona309 »

Does anybody know were i can grab decent data for wild rose MX in Calgary,AB, Canada?
My stats:http://mxsimulator.com/servers/allservers/players/3042/
Jones221 wrote:Kona is right.
jlv wrote:If you kids don't knock it off I'm pulling this forum over!
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

Try here.
kona309

Post by kona309 »

Thanks Hagg, but i gave it a try and couldnt seem to get good enough data out of it.
My stats:http://mxsimulator.com/servers/allservers/players/3042/
Jones221 wrote:Kona is right.
jlv wrote:If you kids don't knock it off I'm pulling this forum over!
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

Hi,

I'm trying to find the height data of my local track in Spain (41º 32' N, 2º 13' E) . The problem is that as yzmxer608 said, not every place have the DEM data. Take a look at the link below to see the option that I got.

http://data.geocomm.com/catalog/SP/datalist.html

I downloaded "Digital Terrain Elevation Data" because is the most similar to the DEM but it doesn't work when I try to open with Microdem. And I can't use the method explained by Haggqvist because only works in the US.

Any idea of what can I do?

Thanks.
die996
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by die996 »

rafagas wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to find the height data of my local track in Spain (41º 32' N, 2º 13' E) . The problem is that as yzmxer608 said, not every place have the DEM data. Take a look at the link below to see the option that I got.

I downloaded "Digital Terrain Elevation Data" because is the most similar to the DEM but it doesn't work when I try to open with Microdem. And I can't use the method explained by Haggqvist because only works in the US.

Thanks.
Hey, tío. Te has tenido que equivocar con las coordenadas, Google maps me manda a una calle de Mollet

Hey, man. You must be mistaken with the coordinates, Google maps send me to some street in Mollet
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??
die996
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by die996 »

die996 wrote:

Thanks.
Hey, tío. Te has tenido que equivocar con las coordenadas, Google maps me manda a una calle de Mollet

Hey, man. You must be mistaken with the coordinates, Google maps send me to some street in Mollet
Track is here http://maps.google.es/maps?hl=en&ll=41. ... 6&t=h&z=16

Por cierto, me encanta que intentes hacer una réplica de ese circuito, he estado allí montones de veces

Btw, I love it that you're trying to make a replica of that track, I've been there a ton of times
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

Thanks.
Can someone help me?

Thanks
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

I had a look at the track in Google Earth and as it seems quite flat and the only non-commercial data available is the 90m resolution SRTM data I would suggest making it from scratch.
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

haggqvist wrote:I had a look at the track in Google Earth and as it seems quite flat and the only non-commercial data available is the 90m resolution SRTM data I would suggest making it from scratch.
Yeah, this one is pretty flat but my objective is to make Bellpuig replica in the future and I wanted to make this one with this programs as a way of "training". But if I can't, doesn't matter I'll make this one from 0 and for Bellpuig I'll have to use the one that I made for MVA as a base
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

I use this plugin for Google Earth to access the SRTM data.
It's a bit tricky to get an aligned orthophoto for the elevation data though.
You could try this method, I haven't tried it myself but it looks good.
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

Ok, I used the second method and now I have three files: the track on gray scale.jpg plus two more files (.prj and .jpgw) But now, I don't know what to do. I open with MapWindow and I get this:

This is the original image

As you can see, the original is in 2D but when I open with MapWindow it becomes kind of 3D image this is an improve but now..... what do I have to do? I'm so lost. :(

Thank you
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

The grayscale .jpg is the actual orthophoto you can use as a reference decal for the track, or to use for reference when making a high-res color one.

The .jpgw file is what is commonly refferred to as a world-file; it's a plain text-file that contains the orthoreference information for the .jpg image i.e. the coordinates for the top left pixel in the image and the scale of each pixel.

The .prj files contains info about the datum i.e. what geographic coordinate system the coordinates in the world-file are in.

If you would open a file with the elevation data for, say the whole of Spain, in a GIS e.g. Mapwindow, the .jpgw and .prj files above makes it possible to place your .jpg orthoimage as an overlay in exactly the right place automatically.

I suggest reading the excellent explanation of the files here.

In this case you'll need the information in the .jpgw file to cut out the exact same area from the SRTM elevation in Microdem using the tool "Keyboard corners" that you can access by RMB->Modify map area->Keyboard corners.
Just put your calculated coordinates from the world-file in the appropriate boxes and the map image should cover the exact same area as your orthoimage.

Make sure that both the orthoimage and the SRTM data uses the same datum first though, if not you'll need to convert the image to the same datum as the SRTM dataset. If I remember correctly you can do that in Microdem as well.

From looking at the image in your post I'll suggest that you export a new image from Google Earth that covers a much larger area.
You can always cut it down to size later in Photoshop together with your base terrain from Microdem.
Just make sure it's possible to make out enough detail to enable you to align a high-res orthophoto later.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I think we need to get you to write a new tutorial for this instead of me :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
BrutalMX

Post by BrutalMX »

yzmxer608 wrote:I think we need to get you to write a new tutorial for this instead of me :lol:.
Agreed, I think a detailed tutorial by Hagg could help many.
Austin Mulhern | Motopixels REV
Image[/a]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/paprod]YouTube Channel

p2sta wrote:since your name is CRF450R you should not worry about kawasaki :lol: