Skinning Tutorial Part 3: Specular Mapping

Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Skinning Tutorial Part 3: Specular Mapping

Post by Boblob801 »

;)

Last edited by Boblob801 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hi
TH_722

Re: Skinning Tutorial Part 3: Specular Mapping

Post by TH_722 »

I love you
Axionkt

Post by Axionkt »

Thanks for the videos, not a 100% clear on spec maps yet though, I thought I was, especially since your video confirmed what I understood, but sometimes I do a change supposedly knowing what the result will be but nothing changes.

For example, how would you do a matte pipe on the spec map? If I understood it well, I would make it black with low hardness, is that right?
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

Axionkt wrote:Thanks for the videos, not a 100% clear on spec maps yet though, I thought I was, especially since your video confirmed what I understood, but sometimes I do a change supposedly knowing what the result will be but nothing changes.

For example, how would you do a matte pipe on the spec map? If I understood it well, I would make it black with low hardness, is that right?
Yeap, although if you go full transparent then it will use the specular settings provided from the materials in blender. You'll find that the hardness settings aka alpha channel don't vary a lot. Meaning you need to make large changes to see a difference.
Hi
Axionkt

Post by Axionkt »

Boblob801 wrote:Yeap, although if you go full transparent then it will use the specular settings provided from the materials in blender. You'll find that the hardness settings aka alpha channel don't vary a lot. Meaning you need to make large changes to see a difference.
Ok that's where I made a mistake, I was trying to go to the extreme, to see the range I could play with so it was probably using the specular from the material.
Thanks for the clarification, going to do some more experimenting.