Skinning Help

david147p
Team: Privateer

Skinning Help

Post by david147p »

Alright so after 2 years of having the game I decided to get into the skinning game. I watched boblob's tutorials which are really well done and are very helpful. However I'm not at that point yet... Right now I am just trying to get gear with name and number to show up in the game which I haven't been able to accomplish yet. I would really appreciate if somebody could direct me to a tutorial that starts from the very beginning of saving the proper files and how to make it show up in the game correctly. Or if someone could walk me through the steps would be great. I have Skype! Haha
m121c

Re: Skinning Help

Post by m121c »

If you look in this tutorial forum there are some helpful things, there is a topic for saving skins correctly. To just open gear and put numbers on it, open a template and just select the text tool, drag the area where you want your number and then type it in. Make sure to put your numbers under the shading as it looks a lot better. My best advice is if you don't know how to do something but you know what you want it to do, search google for exactly what you want to do. Like lets say you want to figure out how to rotate a layer in photoshop, just google "How to rotate a layer in photosop". I also suggest that you follow some tutorials that you find, although they may not pertain to mxsimulator or motocross at all, they will help you get a better feel for the program. It's all about knowing your way around, you will find out how to do things over time once you understand the tools and layout of the photoshop.
david147p

Post by david147p »

Thanks man I appreciate that. And I know that these calls for help do get annoying, I was just wondering like do you just save the template as a png and put it in your personal folder? I saw some stuff that you have to rename it and you know to have it with a rider model or something. Do you make a folder and put specific stuff into it?
iNoScope

Post by iNoScope »

This is a proper tutorial on how to name stuff and put it in a .saf. It's very useful.
david147p

Post by david147p »

How do I export it to a .jm file? I don't see that as an option.
iNoScope

Post by iNoScope »

david147p wrote:How do I export it to a .jm file? I don't see that as an option.
That's because you can't. Use these jm's and follow the tutorial.
david147p

Post by david147p »

Man this is just too much! I really don't understand the difference between normal and spec maps. Nor do I know what they are really. The skin does show up in the game but it seems like the game is on low graphics and of course what I edited doesn't show up. Thanks for all your help guys.
m121c

Post by m121c »

David if you would want to come into teamspeak one night it would be easier to explain it, otherwise it's a lot to type out. Research normal and spec if you get a chance. A really helpful website is polycount.com they have a wiki that may help out also.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Also don't get discouraged by trying to take on to much in a short period of time. It will take a lot of time before you are comfortable with making things, but it is well worth it in the end where if you just want something you can just go make it.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

david147p wrote:Man this is just too much! I really don't understand the difference between normal and spec maps. Nor do I know what they are really.
Yeah that Boblob801 guy really needs to scrub up on his communication skills those tuts were trash :lol:
On the real though I'm more than happy to make more, I do plan on fixing the Spec tut because it was extremely confusing for most people. I also plan on running over a few basics and safing etc in another video sometime next week when I'm free.
Hi
david147p

Post by david147p »

m121c wrote:David if you would want to come into teamspeak one night it would be easier to explain it, otherwise it's a lot to type out. Research normal and spec if you get a chance. A really helpful website is polycount.com they have a wiki that may help out also.
Yeah Mason that would be super helpful. Whenever you are free man and just let me know. Like I know the basics with photoshop and stuff but theres just so much involved.
Boblob801 wrote:Yeah that Boblob801 guy really needs to scrub up on his communication skills those tuts were trash :lol:
On the real though I'm more than happy to make more, I do plan on fixing the Spec tut because it was extremely confusing for most people. I also plan on running over a few basics and safing etc in another video sometime next week when I'm free.
Haha your tutorials were great man. Really helpful to the community and I appreciate you guys helping me out.
twistmoto
Team: TwistMoto Racing

Post by twistmoto »

I see these guys have got you kind of fixed, but here are some quick tid bits to help you.
Normal Maps--- Make flat surfaces appear 3D (can be tricky to work with especially if you do them wrong. My first custom gear had the mesh normals wrong so it looked like the gear had goosebumps lol!)
Spec Maps--- Basically makes things shiny or dull. White is Shiny and Black is dull. Anything in between takes on both properties...
JMs--- There are two main bodies we use, P2sta 2 and P2sta3. Make sure that your template matches the correct JMs... If you have a 3 and put it on the 2 JMs the pants will be backwards (or vice verse) if I remember correctly. If you get a download a set of gear a lot of times they will come with their own JMs.
Hope that helps some too... ;)
david147p

Post by david147p »

Yeah man that helps a lot thanks! But what would consist of making the normal and spec maps? Thats what I'm confused about. :roll:
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

The normal map is Tangent based, you can either bake it or use photoshop plugins.
The spec map consists of the Specular colour which is rgb and Specular Intensity which is the alpha channel.
If you do a quick google on each one it should show you what they are etc.
Hi