Juan357

Re: How big is your Personal folder?

Post by Juan357 »

9,08GB
Track Comp 2010 Champion!
RV3

Post by RV3 »

271gb and it still lags lol, toto im interested in how to get that sym link working i tried watching youtube tutorials but they were for different games.
totorox

Post by totorox »

RV3 wrote:271gb and it still lags lol, toto im interested in how to get that sym link working i tried watching youtube tutorials but they were for different games.
Setting new MXS user directory path variable
Only if you work with vista or later, i don't think XP can handle symlinks.
Mittocs
Team: Vitamin Water

Post by Mittocs »

3 inches..

oh wait
TEAM VITAMIN WATER YAMAHA

MX SIMULATOR - IN MOTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5NKNqRy-G0&hd=1 <--- WATCH IT!
RV3

Post by RV3 »

ok thanks toto, i am using xp, sorry i did a typo it was supposed to say 2.71gb. lol mittocs :D
totorox

Post by totorox »

RV3 wrote:ok thanks toto, i am using xp, sorry i did a typo it was supposed to say 2.71gb. lol mittocs :D
With Xp, solution is to put all user data in mxs program folder, because you can install MXS where you want.
You'll need to put track data on user folder only if you make a track yourself.
Because when MXS write data himself, he use local settings folder first. So each time you edit a track, he write new datas in local setting folder.
Same for track records and configs. , mxs make folder by track name and puts datas into them, so my mxs user folder only contain mxs generated datas, (records: lastlaps+fastlaps.mxdemo (316 mo) , lines_ files (AI files 270 mo), configs. files, and my tracks projects folders (800 mo).
RV3

Post by RV3 »

so do u mean to put all my skins and tracks etc into the install folder (c;/program files/mxsimulator) or application data folder (personal folder)? i want to keep just the files i need and the skin i use for a organised race so it doesn't lag, i think nybrok wrote once somewhere about how he did it. but last time i tried i was missing objects needed from other tracks or something and i couldn't connect. i just put the tracks i didn't need and skins in a folder in my documents. is this right? also will freeing up space on my harddrive help or getting an external hd? thanks for your advice man.
totorox

Post by totorox »

RV3 wrote:so do u mean to put all my skins and tracks etc into the install folder (c;/program files/mxsimulator) or application data folder (personal folder)? i want to keep just the files i need and the skin i use for a organised race so it doesn't lag, i think nybrok wrote once somewhere about how he did it. but last time i tried i was missing objects needed from other tracks or something and i couldn't connect. i just put the tracks i didn't need and skins in a folder in my documents. is this right? also will freeing up space on my harddrive help or getting an external hd? thanks for your advice man.
Yep, it's that. To remove temporaly skins & models from being loaded in game and get some more FPS, just move them in another folder. (Not in a subfolder on MXS directories, game can find datas into them)
If you want to get space you can move it to another drive, but it's not for performance purpose. Until your drive is not heavily fragmented, (it's just quicker to defragment if it is empty), you can defrag your mxs drive to improve access to datas, but it's not a major improvement.
And yes, some tracks are inter-dependents, we need a better way to handle that, it could be easier.
RV3

Post by RV3 »

thanks for your help toto, you're a champ :D, maybe if there was a topic or something in game sever addresses thread as a guide to say which tracks use objects from others etc? i'l try moving unnecessary skins to my documents and see if that helps, i tried defragging install folder and seemes better already, thanks mate.