New editor tool

Post your suggestions here
Shadow
Team: FSK

New editor tool

Post by Shadow »

Would it be possible to create a leveling tool into the editor?
Keep the other settings similar to raise tool except it would level the terrain into set height defined by the strength. Ie. a paint brush.
Strength could either be in feet like the raise and lower tools, or go in 1 pixel increments, so 0 would mean total black and 255 total white.

This would be a really handy tool at times. Actually, I constantly keep thinking while making tracks that "Gee, I sure could use a leveling tool with settable height right about now." :lol:
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: New editor tool

Post by jlv »

I use a gradient when I need to do that.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

It doesn't have the same flexibility that a brush tool does. At least when I tried to use the gradient for it.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Shadow wrote:It doesn't have the same flexibility that a brush tool does. At least when I tried to use the gradient for it.
Did you place the gradient across the entire map? Seems like that would effectively give you a brush to paint with.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Sounds worth a try. Though I'm still a bit skeptical on managing the height precisely with the gradient.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

You could use the raise tool in one area to get the correct height, then use that height for your gradient.

Here's an idea. Wouldn't take too long for an accurate raised area.

Steps:
1. Flatten area(green). Set G2, and flatten the gradient. Then Linear paint the green (might have to make G2 a little bigger than I drew, to be sure you get all of green area. The whole green part needs to be in the half circle of G2)
2. Make DOT (red) to correct height.
3. Set G1, a little bigger and across DOT.
4. Paint LINE (yellow) across area.
5. go to G2 > gradient edit > set from terrain. Paint the rest of green area.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I put the gradient off the map, set the near point to the exact height I want, and then use paint/assign mode to raise/lower the track to that height.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
karlwb
Team: Privateer

Post by karlwb »

don't know if this is the same thing,i havent used the editor in quite a while, say i wanted to make a rough road with parralel ruts,i'd like to be able to make the the general elevation and direction of the road first then add the two ruts after. so basically like a bulldozer,i can set the width and depth and carve out an area while following the pre-existing elevation...is this possible?
karlwb

Post by karlwb »

or put another way,i could set the tool to the width of my track,run it over the lap so my track surface is lowered and cut out of the landscape while keeping its original bumps and ruts.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

karlwb wrote:or put another way,i could set the tool to the width of my track,run it over the lap so my track surface is lowered and cut out of the landscape while keeping its original bumps and ruts.
Yea, if you use one of the "add" modes rather than paint.
karlwb

Post by karlwb »

ok thanks wheels i'll give it a go sometime