Will we ever see MXS on the unity engine?

Post your suggestions here
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Re: Will we ever see MXS on the unity engine?

Post by SMR 510RR »

m121c wrote:
DJ99X wrote:
m121c wrote:I just want to share this because I think PBR shaders are absolutely amazing technology and really going to change things in the next upcoming years visually.

Here is my Honda that is set up for the old and traditional shader (Diffusion/Specular) and here it is in PBR NOT SETUP (Albedo/Specular).

Now for ones who aren't familiar with what PBR stands for (Other then Pabst Blue Ribbon) it means Physically Based Rendering. Read here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

It does some cool shit basically. Now again, this example is NOT setup to be physically correct within a PBR system, BUT even so, it still looks so cool in my eyes. Now I want to make it physically correct and see what it looks like...

[img]https://i.gyazo.com/bd40426d8b46704e0ab ... d7.jpg[img]
[img]https://i.gyazo.com/54fe240702657ccf3cf ... b0.png[img]
You can achieve that look in MXS with the right environment map
Can you show me an example? I have tried time and time again and everything I do just seems to fail in MXS. I have tried for ages to try to get that polished T-Clamp look, but always turns out looking like a glossy grey blob.
Are you turning the reflections up in blender? I think the real difference though is that there is no blurring on the reflections like you would see IRL/rendering/PBR.
m121c

Post by m121c »

The reflection layer is cheap to me... looks like a secondary reflection and one that is not actually controlled. Which to my understanding it is, being that it is polygon based.

What is so impressive about PBR shaders is not how they look in a picture, it's how they interact in real time.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

DJ99X wrote:You can achieve that look in MXS with the right environment map
True, but the map would only work for the one material since you'd be putting the roughness in the map itself to get the same effect. At a minimum I'd like to have two environment layers each with its own roughness setting. ("Roughness" is how much each light ray is randomized in blender cycles terminology.)

Mason, are two glossy layers and one diffuse layer enough to get the effects you want?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
m121c

Post by m121c »

I think the issue is that the reflection we have now is 100% gloss, I relate it to like clear coating a metal. Changing the reflection value just changes the opacity of the reflection, but we can't actually change the roughness value of it, it's always just 100% smooth. Unless you can adjust it in blender and I didn't know about it..

I'm really interested in the shader modifications you were planning where the roughness value is linked to the reflection. The theory of how it will work in my head, it should get closer to what I want to achieve. Have you had any testing with it yet?

I've never actually looked for this... but does the model influence reflection? What I mean is, if I have a polished set up triple clamps with red plastic on the bike, will I see a red-ish hue in the clamps reflection from the plastic? Assuming my clamps are not glossy reflection but more of a rougher surface making the reflection "blurry" and just a hint of red on them. If not, is this possible?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I figure I'll just blur the environment map for the roughness. Instead of the current specular light + environment layer, I'd like to use the specular settings to control the environment map. So if you have a high specular exponent the material will reflect a sharp environment map and a low exponent will be a blurry map.

I was just looking at the materials I was using for my 150 SX renders and most of them only used one glossy node. If you don't mind sharing I'd like to know what you're using for your materials in your renders. The most complicated one I have is for plastic and that's just two glossy nodes and one diffuse node, and the second glossy node isn't that important. So maybe two glossy layers won't be necessary. It'd be nice to not have to have to kludge up a double specular map.

I haven't done any testing unless you count fooling around in Blender. The reflections won't reflect anything but the environment map.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

What you want is Dynamic Global Lighting. Newer engines are just now starting to get it but still no games are utilizing it.

Skip to ~5:50

If you are excited about The Division I recommend not watching that. :lol:
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

Pumaxcs wrote:If you are excited about The Division I recommend not watching that. :lol:
I did not watch, but it's the reason I got a PS4.
m121c

Post by m121c »

jlv wrote:I figure I'll just blur the environment map for the roughness. Instead of the current specular light + environment layer, I'd like to use the specular settings to control the environment map. So if you have a high specular exponent the material will reflect a sharp environment map and a low exponent will be a blurry map.
Is it pretty difficult or time consuming as far as coding to make this happen? I would be really interested in trying this out I feel like it should give some good results. In cases like the Honda frame, I would really like to make the upper arches a sharper reflection, while the rougher cast part below the weld be a more blurred (or "rough").
jlv wrote:I was just looking at the materials I was using for my 150 SX renders and most of them only used one glossy node. If you don't mind sharing I'd like to know what you're using for your materials in your renders. The most complicated one I have is for plastic and that's just two glossy nodes and one diffuse node, and the second glossy node isn't that important. So maybe two glossy layers won't be necessary. It'd be nice to not have to have to kludge up a double specular map.

I haven't done any testing unless you count fooling around in Blender. The reflections won't reflect anything but the environment map.
I honestly have not done any type of renders of my Honda model other than the clay renders. I'm not much of a blender/cycles guy either so I'm not familiar with the node type workflow, so I can't answer that.I am guessing that the secondary glossy node is to act as "coating" layer? It would be the only reason why I would 2 layers of reflection from my experience with materials.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

m121c wrote:Is it pretty difficult or time consuming as far as coding to make this happen? I would be really interested in trying this out I feel like it should give some good results. In cases like the Honda frame, I would really like to make the upper arches a sharper reflection, while the rougher cast part below the weld be a more blurred (or "rough").
It won't be super hard, but I want to have a good model to test with as I code it so I know I'm actually creating the features I need.
m121c wrote:I honestly have not done any type of renders of my Honda model other than the clay renders. I'm not much of a blender/cycles guy either so I'm not familiar with the node type workflow, so I can't answer that.I am guessing that the secondary glossy node is to act as "coating" layer? It would be the only reason why I would 2 layers of reflection from my experience with materials.
That's pretty much it. You want a dull reflection with a shine on top. Without the dull reflection it looks more like painted metal than plastic. It's pretty subtle though. Here's a render showing it.

Now that I look at it side by side, probably not worth the pain of kludging two specular maps into one texture.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Somebody already probably said this but I dont feel like reading through the thread. Sim is coded in c++ (im assuming) using openGL probably in VS or devcpp. Porting it to unity would be a hassel because unity only supports c# and javascript plus it would be very hard to have user creation ex tracks,bikes, gear because unity packages everything in .ddl's. I am making a moto game in unity however.its a mix between a simulation and arcade. Might be worth checking out. Ill link a video,check out the comments. https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=ScreenFlow.mp4
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

It seems to be written in C mainly (?). JLV posted some info here.
LKR47

Post by LKR47 »

Wahlamt wrote:It seems to be written in C mainly (?). JLV posted some info here.
c, c++, c# are pretty alike.Just assumed it was C++. It would be very possible to port but i dont think it would be very proficient. But thts just my opinion. Everything theyve done with shaders and such in unity 5 is amazing so it would make sim look a whole lot better which would be cool to see.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

LKR47 wrote:Somebody already probably said this but I dont feel like reading through the thread. Sim is coded in c++ (im assuming) using openGL probably in VS or devcpp. Porting it to unity would be a hassel because unity only supports c# and javascript plus it would be very hard to have user creation ex tracks,bikes, gear because unity packages everything in .ddl's. I am making a moto game in unity however.its a mix between a simulation and arcade. Might be worth checking out. Ill link a video,check out the comments. https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=ScreenFlow.mp4
Your link isn't working. It's taking me to my Dropbox page? I would love to check it out though!
LKR47

Post by LKR47 »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote: Your link isn't working. It's taking me to my Dropbox page? I would love to check it out though!
I accidentally posted my personal preview, sorry bout that. Heres the new link! https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pupmt0in26hf ... 3kOmw0GhVa . Ive made a lot of progress since this recording such as controller support and basic in-air control.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

LKR47 wrote:
VMX_SKYmx99 wrote: Your link isn't working. It's taking me to my Dropbox page? I would love to check it out though!
I accidentally posted my personal preview, sorry bout that. Heres the new link! https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pupmt0in26hf ... 3kOmw0GhVa . Ive made a lot of progress since this recording such as controller support and basic in-air control.
I don't want to hijack this thread but that is looking fantastic! I love the shadows.