Game Suggestions

Post your suggestions here
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Game Suggestions

Post by jlv »

vmaki wrote:I just read about HDR environment maps and it sounds like a really good solution. If I understood it correctly the light sources would be projected from a sphere map onto the track? So from outside the track in. That would work really well in a stadium environment but what if I would like to have light sources within the track limits? Say a bonfire in the middle of the track or multible spotlights next to the jumps in a dark forest? Would it be possible to have both HDR environment map and conventional light sources? Are there HDR versions of conventional light sources?
http://adaptivesamples.com/2016/03/16/m ... -own-hdri/
It'd be possible but I'd prefer keeping it simple if I can.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

jlv wrote:
barrington314 wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:MULTIPLE LIGHT SOURCES
:D

JLV, I've been trying to find if you've talked about why we can only have one light source. Would multiple light sources be something you'd consider?
Wouldn't be too hard to add more conventional light sources. They're built in to OpenGL. The thing that makes me hesitant is I've been thinking about switching to doing all lighting through HDR environment maps instead. Not sure I want to add more stuff that will just be obsolete in short order.
How short of order are you talking here?
I hate to ask you to give scripting a time frame because I know things don't always go as planned or what have you, but do you have an approximate idea of how long you expect it to take you?
Will old tracks still use the conventional light sources?
For stadium lighting, would we need someone to basically be under stadium lighting to make the map?
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:
barrington314 wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:MULTIPLE LIGHT SOURCES
:D

JLV, I've been trying to find if you've talked about why we can only have one light source. Would multiple light sources be something you'd consider?
Wouldn't be too hard to add more conventional light sources. They're built in to OpenGL. The thing that makes me hesitant is I've been thinking about switching to doing all lighting through HDR environment maps instead. Not sure I want to add more stuff that will just be obsolete in short order.
Updating the lighting would be a huge help seeing the erode develop. Right now it seems to be such a give and take with the lighting.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

barrington314 wrote:
jlv wrote:Wouldn't be too hard to add more conventional light sources. They're built in to OpenGL. The thing that makes me hesitant is I've been thinking about switching to doing all lighting through HDR environment maps instead. Not sure I want to add more stuff that will just be obsolete in short order.
How short of order are you talking here?
I hate to ask you to give scripting a time frame because I know things don't always go as planned or what have you, but do you have an approximate idea of how long you expect it to take you?
Will old tracks still use the conventional light sources?
For stadium lighting, would we need someone to basically be under stadium lighting to make the map?
Probably pretty long short order on the environment map lighting, but the same would apply to making extra light sources and I'd rather put the effort into the environment map lighting since it can look really good when done right.

Still doing some other random stuff before I get started on scripting. Right now I'm making it open the window and process windows messages during the file scan. It's a little tricky since there are some circular dependencies introduced when I move the file scan back that need to be resolved. Needs some care to not break anything.

As far as a scripting time frame, just adding the ability to run scripts will be easy. The time consuming part will be connecting it to all the various things we want scripts to control. Not that that's so hard either, but there's potentially a huge amount of stuff to hook up. A good thing to discuss would be what you'd like hooked up first.

Here's what I can think of:
  • Change textures or modify texture coordinates on objects.
  • Move objects.
  • Add armatures to objects and pose objects.
  • Hooks for custom HUD.
  • Hooks for custom UI.
  • Custom timing for stuff like enduros.
That'd be close to the order I'd do things in. If you have any other ideas or think the order should be different this would be a good time to talk about it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

jlv wrote:plans
HDR Lighting and PBR materials please.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

jlv wrote:
  • Move objects.
  • Hooks for custom HUD.
  • Hooks for custom UI.
We just want the timing tower to work. :lol:

I think one of the most important would be the custom timing gates. Who knows if Feld will try to do joker lanes in 2019 SX. We (EMF) will also hopefully try to make the MEC event more legit this year.

Would the armatures mean 3d flaggers/30 second board JLV's/pit crew with boards, all being move-able?

Exciting stuff JLV. People are going to be so pumped on finally having to pull tear-offs. :lol:
Bradclay306

Post by Bradclay306 »

a relatively new game engine
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

barrington314 wrote:
jlv wrote:
  • Move objects.
  • Hooks for custom HUD.
  • Hooks for custom UI.
We just want the timing tower to work. :lol:

I think one of the most important would be the custom timing gates. Who knows if Feld will try to do joker lanes in 2019 SX. We (EMF) will also hopefully try to make the MEC event more legit this year.

Would the armatures mean 3d flaggers/30 second board JLV's/pit crew with boards, all being move-able?

Exciting stuff JLV. People are going to be so pumped on finally having to pull tear-offs. :lol:
If you can change texture coordinates you can do the timing tower.

Yes, armatures will let you animate that stuff.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Motocrosser_44
Team: MGFX

Post by Motocrosser_44 »

EDIT you should also have a folder where you can save a set up for a track liek your suspention gears stability and stuff and when ever you load a track you cqan chose from you set ups what one you wana use
you realize there is a folder already??? right?? when you write setups and read, they go into a folder and are stored in the game.
Albert Tranghese #44 | Tranghese Designs
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

Motocrosser_44 wrote:
EDIT you should also have a folder where you can save a set up for a track liek your suspention gears stability and stuff and when ever you load a track you cqan chose from you set ups what one you wana use
you realize there is a folder already??? right?? when you write setups and read, they go into a folder and are stored in the game.
You didn't notice the date of his post, did you?
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

Motocrosser_44
Team: MGFX

Post by Motocrosser_44 »

Sandhapper wrote:
Motocrosser_44 wrote:
You didn't notice the date of his post, did you?
i think i was soo tired when i posted that that the date looked recent to me XD, sooo yea.
Albert Tranghese #44 | Tranghese Designs
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

So now that there is online erode, how far off would online track editing (even if it was just displacement) be? :D
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
mxsrider96
Team: PoGo

Post by mxsrider96 »

yzmxer608 wrote:So now that there is online erode, how far off would online track editing (even if it was just displacement) be? :D
http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 24#p813193
WAR CRY <3
Sun Burn
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Okay, thanks for the link.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
wilson213
Team: Privateer

Post by wilson213 »

Would it be possible to link skins or safs to UID numbers? So only a certain UID may use it?