2013 Zero MX

Post your suggestions here
JTmoto
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Eleven10 Mods Suzuki

Re: 2013 Zero MX

Post by JTmoto »

DJD wrote:If you would like to have an intelligent conversation on the matter, I would be happy to do so. Calling me a hick for defending the principals that the United States of America was founded on seems illogical to me.
And you seriously think that the president wants to take guns from people. Makes sense.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I think this legislation is the best job-creation scheme Obama's created yet! I have to work this weekend to make hundreds of gun parts to keep up with the rush on guns that always happens during these moments of hysteria. The shops have their signage out to encourage folks to buy now. It stimulates the economy quite well.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

There's a political talk thread if you girls want to go at it. This is the zero MX suggestion topic though.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

The very existence of an electric dirtbike is an ideological and political contradiction in and of itself(like when someone puts a leaf-blower motor on a bicycle), hence DJD's passionate proclamation.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jgmx893
Team: ConstantMoto

Post by jgmx893 »

just wait untill all this bike gets better and the news reaches environmentalists that we could be riding this instead... :roll: . I gotta say it would be wierd riding it and hearing no sounds or anything, but really in 20-30 more years that's probably where the future of mx will be. They'll be faster and we will be able to ride them much more places including backyard tracks without much noise.

Subscribe for quality mx and mxsim films! http://www.youtube.com/jgmx893

Head over to the ConstantMoto facebook page @ http://www.facebook.com/constantmoto
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Not sure if I could live riding a bike that doesn't sound like a two stroke. The sound you would hear when I'm riding is my sobbing.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
cloud_2901
Team: Complete newbie

Post by cloud_2901 »

yzmxer608 wrote:Not sure if I could live riding a bike that doesn't sound like a two stroke. The sound you would hear when I'm riding is my sobbing.
But an electric bike can sound like whatever you want it to, just download a new app for sound :P
blackbeard
Team: The whites

Post by blackbeard »

You guys realize an all electric bike has a larger carbon footprint? All these environmental posts don't understand the dirty manufacturing process of batteries and the electricity to charge those batteries
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'm not even concerned about that. I just like the fact that electric motors are superior to combustion engines
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

I like the fact that they're more accessible then the usual dirt bike. Anyone can buy an electric dirt bike and be able to ride it instantly. While normal dirt bikes are even a puzzle when you're trying to start them ... at least for those who don't know shit about mx. You don't have to learn use the clutch, no need to learn how to shift, no need to be a mechanic or have a mechanical background to do your own maintenance. Also everybody can have his own racetrack in his garden. Because the lack of sound is it easy to plant a motocrosstrack somewhere in the middle of a city. Wich is very handy for the densely build Europe, especially Belgium. Where nearly every race track is getting shut down because of the overwhelmingly sound.

But for sure it will be horrible to miss the sound and the smell at the races.

So, is this bike going into the game or not? :lol:
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
cpt_Slow
Team: Privateer

Post by cpt_Slow »

DJ99X wrote: I just like the fact that electric motors are superior to combustion engines
I had to debate this point for one of my entrance interviews for Cambridge. The professor was arguing for IC engines in cars and he didn't convince me to be honest. He tried to say that linear power delivery was a bad thing because his mum's Daihatsu Charade(CVT) was a bad car. Admittedly the advantages aren't so apparent with day to day driving but come on.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

A Toyota Prius makes a pretty good argument that electric motors are terrible as a means of transportation.
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

Explain? The last electric car I was probably back in 2000 in a demo vehicle so I can't directly comment, but as a method of propulsion an electric motor's hard to beat for efficiency and mechanical simplicity. (Battery and fuel cell technology is another point entirely.)
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

cpt_Slow wrote:Explain? The last electric car I was probably back in 2000 in a demo vehicle so I can't directly comment, but as a method of propulsion an electric motor's hard to beat for efficiency and mechanical simplicity. (Battery and fuel cell technology is another point entirely.)
Hard to argue when you want to compare only an engine to only a motor. I don't see how battery technology is a different point, they work in conjunction. However if you want to compare a motor without battery to an engine without fuel they are both equally useless. It's a silly comparison though.
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

I disregarded the power source as I assumed DJ was making a point that electric motors are better for performance applications due to their power delivery (not trying to put words into his mouth, just saying what I got from it) which is what we are discussing here. Practicality takes a bit of a backseat so a short battery life is not such an issue as long as it lasts the day's racing. Yes there are issues regarding battery lifespans with rapid charging but as uptake increases battery prices should fall significantly, and you have less mechanical parts to maintain in the meantime,

I went a bit off-topic referring to cars but I still don't think your comparison is valid. An electric motor is not useless without a battery, it is useless without electricity. There are numerous ways to source/store it. None are that great currently but I'm sure I don't need to go into the specifics of why IC engines aren't sustainable unless there is a major breakthrough in organic synthesis. Currently our only plan of action is to keep stalling until somebody smart comes along and thinks of a good way of generating and storing energy which doesn't rely on unsustainable sources.