tire selection

Post your suggestions here
motoracer58
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 am

tire selection

Postby motoracer58 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I think it would be a good idea to have several tire selections, im not talking about brand names or anything but traction wise. Right now if the bike has too much traction you have to compensate with suspension settings and rider postion which usually makes the bike handle worse. If there were a couple different selections for tire traction you could just change the tire to provide more or less traction depending on track conditions. Im not sure if its possible to do but i think it would be a good feature

die996
Crushed Dissenter
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm
Team: Privateer
Location: 8 miles off Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby die996 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm

motoracer58 wrote:I think it would be a good idea to have several tire selections, im not talking about brand names or anything but traction wise. Right now if the bike has too much traction you have to compensate with suspension settings and rider postion which usually makes the bike handle worse. If there were a couple different selections for tire traction you could just change the tire to provide more or less traction depending on track conditions. Im not sure if its possible to do but i think it would be a good feature

Love the idea but I'm afraid it's hard to make
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??

jbrandmx85
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:17 pm
Team: Privateer
Location: PA, USA

Re: tire selection

Postby jbrandmx85 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 pm

i like the idea seeing as it would make the game more realistic but i doubt this will happen. at least not anytime soon
Image

User avatar
DJ99X
Posts: 15468
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:36 am
Location: Land Down Under

Re: tire selection

Postby DJ99X » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:00 pm

On the other hand, if the track maker didn't want it to be slick, he could always increase the traction...

Tyres can only help so much with traction. If its a slick track, it'll still be slick even with the best tyre possible

motoracer58
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 am

Re: tire selection

Postby motoracer58 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:38 pm

i understand that the track is made the way it is, but having a tire selection would let you set the bike up more to fit your style. some people like more traction then others but the only way of doing it now is to mess with the suspension which doesnt work real well because you end up with bad settings just to get your traction decent

User avatar
Phathry25
Posts: 7400
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:09 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Location: WI
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby Phathry25 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:21 am

Some people like more traction than others? WTF!? :?:

Can you name one example of when having less traction would be preferable?

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12909
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby jlv » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:36 am

Maybe if you ran out of fuel on a banked track. A zero coefficient of friction would let you slide farther than you could roll. The banking would have to be perfect though, otherwise you'd fly off the track.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

motoracer58
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 am

Re: tire selection

Postby motoracer58 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:12 pm

in your theory, the most traction possible would be preferred then? so when ever you hit the throttle the bike would stand up or you wouldnt be able to get some wheelspin through a turn. It is kinda funny, i never knew dunlop and pirelli only offered one tire design and compound to the pro's, thats crazy.

die996
Crushed Dissenter
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm
Team: Privateer
Location: 8 miles off Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby die996 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Phathry25 wrote:Can you name one example of when having less traction would be preferable?

AMA SX replicas have way too much traction, a little bit less would make some people faster
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??

cpt_Slow
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:58 pm
Team: Privateer
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby cpt_Slow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:37 pm

You just love getting pounded by Phathry don't you die? :P

They offer different tyres and compounds so that you can match it up to the surface you're riding for maximum grip. I've never seen a pro riding round on part worns because they like to waste power. ;)

motoracer58
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:57 am

Re: tire selection

Postby motoracer58 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm

well if you dont like my wording of having too much traction then change it to not enough and the same suggestion still applies, it was a suggestion that was all.

ShackAttack12
Posts: 3122
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: tire selection

Postby ShackAttack12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 pm

die996 wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:Can you name one example of when having less traction would be preferable?

AMA SX replicas have way too much traction, a little bit less would make some people faster


Way too much traction?! What tracks have you been riding?
ShackAttack12

| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |

die996
Crushed Dissenter
Posts: 1394
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 pm
Team: Privateer
Location: 8 miles off Barcelona, Spain
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby die996 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:28 pm

ShackAttack12 wrote:
die996 wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:Can you name one example of when having less traction would be preferable?

AMA SX replicas have way too much traction, a little bit less would make some people faster


Way too much traction?! What tracks have you been riding?

Three "unofficial" replicas from 2008, all from 2010, all from 2011 and A1 2012
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??

User avatar
Kawasakis
Posts: 6583
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby Kawasakis » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Good thing you have ridden all those sx tracks in real life and know what's it like.
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

Image
Image

User avatar
Phathry25
Posts: 7400
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:09 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Location: WI
Contact:

Re: tire selection

Postby Phathry25 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:43 pm

How much less are we talking? 10%? I'll make the tracks, if people are faster on them I'll stop correcting you. If I'm right, which lets face it I always am, then you have to stop acting like you know so much about stuff you don't know a damn thing about.

Deal?


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests