Shifting Lock

Post your suggestions here
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Shifting Lock

Post by Andy_Hack »

Hello,

It might sound like a dumb idea, but i thought i just throw it out there.
I am having problems with shifting manually, so i use automatic shifting, well some kind of, cause it keeps always shifting up in whoops and whatever, so i have to shift down all the time by hand, which is kinda hard, cause you never know which gear was in, and you have to look down to the tach.

My idea was now, to make some kind of a shifting lock, which will lock for example from 4th to 6th gear, so the bike cant shift higher than 3.
Its a weird idea i know,cause pretty much everyone seems to use manual shifting, but i really wanna hear some opinions.

oh and i know that auto shifting is goonish :oops: :lol:
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
Kording
Team: Privateer

Re: Shifting Lock

Post by Kording »

I csn totaly understand you. Since i got this game i used automatic shifting. But last week I tried to get used to shift manualy. I am 3-4 seconds faster now. So option number one would be try to use manual shifting.
On the other hand the automatic shifting could be improved.
Tennis, Basketball and Baseball all requires one ball
Motocross requires two!
Axionkt

Post by Axionkt »

I'm in the same boat, got used to a controller setup which wouldn't let me upshift and use the throttle at the same time. I can do it but I have to hold the controller with a bad grip and dropped it a few times...

Anyway I don't know on which data auto shifting is based on but it could easily be fixed by forcing it to stay in the same gear when the rear wheel is off the ground.

Most players running auto shift are downshifting manually all the time since every time the rear tire is off the ground, and he bike will upshift, so instead of this, if the auto shift is disabled while off the ground, they wouldn't have to downshift manually all the time but upshift if needed.
YzJarne_196

Post by YzJarne_196 »

At first I also rode with automatic shifting. A friend suggested me to shift manually and I don't regret it! It's usually faster, especially on sand tracks.
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Yea, i know that its faster, probably we all know that, but as Axionkt said, most of us are pretty comfortable with our current controller setup, too comfortable that we wanna change soemthing, the "problem" might be the controller or the auto shift, i mean dont get me wrong, its nice that we even got the option, but for some its just hard as (like me) or even totally impossible for some others. thanks guys so far for these comments! :)
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
dani22

Post by dani22 »

Goon Andy!! hahaha
The idea can be good, but i think most of us play like that and we have no issues at all.
If you want some tips... like where to put buttons so it's easyer to you to shift or so, or something PM me or what ever man :P
Good luck
jbrandmx85
Team: Privateer

Post by jbrandmx85 »

I run autoshift and I have some small issues too. I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable controller setup that I can shift manually with either. Idk I guess some of us guys just need to suck it up and practice craploads at shifting manually. lol
dani22

Post by dani22 »

jbrandmx85 wrote:I run autoshift and I have some small issues too. I cannot for the life of me find a comfortable controller setup that I can shift manually with either. Idk I guess some of us guys just need to suck it up and practice craploads at shifting manually. lol
I'll tell you where i have my upshift/downshift buttons, well all my buttons :P
L2 -> The button for speak in TS LOL
L1 -> Rearbrake & Downshift ( I got used to it in a couple days)
R1-> Clutch
Left stick-> Up/Down : Lean FW BW, Left/Right : Stern
Right Stick-> Up throttle ; Down Front brake
R3 -> Upshift
Square-> Back up.

Try them if you want... with this i just use less fingers, and i get everything closer to press :P
Will-Hughes#205
Team: Atlas | TLD

Post by Will-Hughes#205 »

I use the MVA sort of style.
R2- Trottle
L2- Front Brake
R1- Sit/Dab
L1- Clutch
Square- Up shift
X- Down Shift
Circle- Back up
Triangle- Rear Brake

Another option is that you could have up and down shift on Right analog stick
Uollie

Post by Uollie »

I use a 360 controller and my setup feels perfect to me for manual shifting. If you have a thumb I don't see why it wouldn't be comfortable.

RT- Throttle
LT- Front Brake
RB- Unassigned
LB- Clutch
Lanalog- Rider lean
Ranalog- Unassigned
A - Sit/Dab (I do not use sticky dab either)
B- Up Shift
Y- Down Shift
X- Rear Brake
Back- Back Up

I never have problems shifting even when in sit down berms that accelerate through. It's really easy to hold down the A button to sit and simultaneously press B to up shift. The rear brake is right next to Sit/Dab too for simultaneous action if needed. While the left hand controls reaction situations, such as feathering the clutch or just front braking and of course steering.

Obviously, just like a new bike setup, it takes time to get used to everything but this controller scheme has never been blamed for me sucking. I can narrow that down to myself :D
mbork-1
Team: NOTEAM

Post by mbork-1 »

dont know any even modern mx bikes with automatic gearbox,so
3rd MX2 EMF - AX Series 2011
2nd MX1 BMF - Friday Night Series 2012
1st MX3 - EMXs
8th MX1 EMF - MX Series 2012
jason_pama
Team: MotoRAD

Post by jason_pama »

I use xbox and heres my setup for manual shifting cuz i use manual

Rb: back brake
Rt: throttle
Lt: front brake
Lb: clutch
Left stick: left and right
Right stick: up/down (the click for the sit/dab)
Y: reverse
X: upshift
A: downshift
Axionkt

Post by Axionkt »

Thanks for all the help giving us your controller layouts, unfortunately that's not really the problem.
This is what I use and what I feel the most comfortable with:

I know I should have thought about manual shifting when choosing it but after playing like this for about 5 years I can't change it. Even if set upshift to R3 which was the least awkward for me, try keeping the right stick (throttle for me) in the exact same position while pushing it.
mbork-1 wrote:dont know any even modern mx bikes with automatic gearbox,so
Well I have never seen a dirt bike with anti lock brakes or stop wheelies but I've heard some people use them.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to run manual shifting as long as it doesn't mean changing my setup. IMO shifting is a huge part of immersion in a racing game, I would never consider playing a car racing game with auto shift on, but I would never play such game without a wheel...

Provide me with anything allowing me to shift manually, either with my feet or unsused fingers and I will jump on the opportunity to do it, hell I even switch to manual shifting for qualifying as I'm much faster that way. The thing is, with the awkward grip I need to adopt I'm not enough in control to do a full race without messing up. It wouldn't give us more work while playing, it would in fact give us less work (we're constantly downshifting on bumpy tracks, and upshifting on sandy tracks), it's for those few moments when our controller setup doesn't allow us to perform actions at the same time that we can't switch to full manual shifting.

This looks like a pretty good alternative:

But paying that price for 2 more buttons is not something I'm willing to do for now, especially since the auto shift mecanism can probably be fixed to be much easier to use, by either using Andy's idea, or fixing what I think is the source of the problem.
I feel like the reason why the bike upshifts by itself is because it doesn't make a difference if it's in the air or not, so if you rev the bike in the air it will shift up and if you brake it will downshift, I don't know if it's precise enough but I feel like just locking the gearbox when the bike is in the air would prevent this.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Move the front brake on the same as the rear brake. Put your sit down where the front brake is, and clutch where sit is. Now put up shift where the clutch is and you have my controller setup.

Downside:

-Difficult to use clutch and sit
-Don't have separate brakes

Upside:
-Manual shifting
Axionkt

Post by Axionkt »

Thanks for the suggestion, I see 2 issues with this setup though:
- How do you manage having both brakes on the same axis? With my setup the rear wheel looses traction much sooner than the front one while braking.
- That's a personal one but, I really need the clutch on an axis and not a button, I'm on the throttle almost all the time and control the power with the clutch.