2014 SX Tracks

Post your suggestions here
haggqvist

Re: 2014 SX Tracks

Post by haggqvist »

jlv wrote:What's the rationale for the .7 static friction? It should be higher than the sliding friction for most (probably all) surfaces.
Since I'm a structural engineer I've been thinking about traction not as a matter of simple coulomb friction between homogeneous surfaces but from a soil-mechanics perspective.
My initial low friction values are based on internal friction values for different soils which typically vary between 0.5 and 0.7 and as these values are proportional to the amount of shear stress the soil can withstand before the initial failure I think it describes the problem fairly well under the circumstances.
As for the higher values for higher slip rates; they are just based on the idea of the soil being compressed and therefor being able to withstand more shear stress before further failure.
I'm well aware of the flaws in the mechanics but imo it works great and gives a realistic feeling for loose soils like sand.
Having an initial low friction makes rougher tracks a lot more forgiving as well because the tires slide a bit before re-gaining grip when thing's go pear-shaped.

While we're on the subject; any chance you could separate the lateral and longitudinal friction values in the tileinfo?
Imo that would make it a lot easier to simulate sand and other loose soils.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I still think you want static friction to be the first peak, then drop off as it starts to slip and then ramp up again as the tire would have to move lots of soil to achieve that slip speed. I see a lot of tracks where if you park on a hill the bike will slowly slide down because the static friction is too low. There's no way that's realistic.

I could definitely make the lateral friction separate. I'm not completely sold on the idea that it should be different though. I'm going to have to make some kind of gauge to measure some real tires.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Burkeen820
Team: Privateer

Post by Burkeen820 »

The tracks are prime as it is lol just run it
Me: "Hoffman your line choice sucks..."
Hoffman: "Bro, you act like my lines are choices!"

The truth about awood http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... agic+awood
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Burkeen820 wrote:The tracks are prime as it is lol just run it
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
haggqvist

Post by haggqvist »

I was mainly talking about the interaction between soft, uncompressed soil and a rolling tire at an angle, mostly the front wheel when turning, I guess I should have made that a bit more obvious.
The current system is fine for the rear wheel longitudinal traction imo and the only reason I would like the values separated is to avoid having to make compromises between lateral and longitudinal friction.
alexsss9
Team: Privateer

Post by alexsss9 »

I agree Yamahaman's jump look way smoother and as big as JLV's one.
Maybe we should give it a try and do one supercross this year with those rounded top jumps???