Petition for new bike sound

Post your suggestions here
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Petition for new bike sound

Post by jlv »

I'd definitely want the motor sound to be more connected to the motor than in MX Bikes. Just having different patches for accelerate/decelerate/whoops/etc wouldn't work for MXS. I think it'll help a lot to get timing info from the motor when I record. It's not always possible to figure out what the RPM is by just looking at the waveform, so a stereo recording where one side is the recorded sound and the other is the timing/spark would be very helpful. I bought a stereo recorder for that purpose but haven't made the hardware to collect the timing info in the second channel. It's definitely on the agenda though. Maybe sometime next summer when I'll hopefully be done with the terrain optimizations and new shading code.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ch4rl1e Camer0n

Post by Ch4rl1e Camer0n »

New sounds before gta 6 omfg ya the boys woohooo #JLVyoubeast
west
Team: *eMc*

Post by west »

jlv wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:19 am I'd definitely want the motor sound to be more connected to the motor than in MX Bikes. Just having different patches for accelerate/decelerate/whoops/etc wouldn't work for MXS. I think it'll help a lot to get timing info from the motor when I record. It's not always possible to figure out what the RPM is by just looking at the waveform, so a stereo recording where one side is the recorded sound and the other is the timing/spark would be very helpful. I bought a stereo recorder for that purpose but haven't made the hardware to collect the timing info in the second channel. It's definitely on the agenda though. Maybe sometime next summer when I'll hopefully be done with the terrain optimizations and new shading code.

thank you a lot boss
don't let us down, i apreciate that good luck for all the crazy job u are doing
link of the topic : http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27353[/size] => new engine's sounds
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

Not sure if anyone in this topic has been made aware that jlv made a tutorial on how to make custom bike sounds. It was posted years ago so it makes sense that it'd get buried. It isn't the most 'user friendly' thing to figure out but it is there.

https://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?t=9820
jlv wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:19 am I bought a stereo recorder for that purpose but haven't made the hardware to collect the timing info in the second channel. It's definitely on the agenda though. Maybe sometime next summer when I'll hopefully be done with the terrain optimizations and new shading code.
I'd assume that you'd just be recording new sounds and inputting them with this current system? Or would the sound system be slightly tweaked at all? I'd think you'd probably change as little as possible for backwards compatibility.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:14 am I'd assume that you'd just be recording new sounds and inputting them with this current system? Or would the sound system be slightly tweaked at all? I'd think you'd probably change as little as possible for backwards compatibility.
Just new recordings and soundtable files. The goal would be to record at steadier RPM for longer usable patches and have timing info on the other stereo channel to make it easier to pick out the RPM. It's really difficult to guess the RPM from just the waveform when decelerating on four strokes and for two strokes it's just difficult in general.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard
Team: Phil's

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:56 am It's really difficult to guess the RPM from just the waveform when decelerating on four strokes and for two strokes it's just difficult in general.
I know at least on yamaha's powertuner app they have an rpm visualizer and display that updates in live time. Recording those values along side the sounds would probably help that. I don't know how many other bikes have that sort of tech but if you don't have access to it or you're recording two stroke sounds it would be incredibly difficult.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Jakob Hubbard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:44 am
jlv wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:56 am It's really difficult to guess the RPM from just the waveform when decelerating on four strokes and for two strokes it's just difficult in general.
I know at least on yamaha's powertuner app they have an rpm visualizer and display that updates in live time. Recording those values along side the sounds would probably help that. I don't know how many other bikes have that sort of tech but if you don't have access to it or you're recording two stroke sounds it would be incredibly difficult.
I want to see the exact timing for each cycle so I can accurately cut on exact cycles in a waveform editor. Probably just going to put a few turns of wire around the plug wire to act as an inductor and run it to the input on one channel. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to show without breaking the recorder.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
ktm161
Team: Underground RC

Post by ktm161 »

jlv wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:00 am
Jakob Hubbard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:44 am
I want to see the exact timing for each cycle so I can accurately cut on exact cycles in a waveform editor. Probably just going to put a few turns of wire around the plug wire to act as an inductor and run it to the input on one channel. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to show without breaking the recorder.
would you be able to look at a dyno video to see? something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4rfjDSINE&t=2s
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

ktm161 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:23 am would you be able to look at a dyno video to see? something like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4rfjDSINE&t=2s
While a tach would be better than nothing, I'd really want to see timing pulses in one channel and the waveform in the other. That way I can see exactly when the flywheel pickup went by instead of just generally knowing the RPM. It'd make it easier to cut the waveform in the right place.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com