On everyones mind...

Post your suggestions here
barrington314
Team: me

Re: On everyones mind...

Post by barrington314 »

I honestly cant tell if trolling or not at this point.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

Okay, the original point I was trying to state is why don't we use maps for the traction and deformation. As far as traction goes the only for I can see is the amount you can use. You can have unlimited (use this loosely) number of tiles but only x amount of traction colours. As far as deformation goes it should be sweet. Pixel for pixel.
Hi
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Boblob801 wrote:Okay, the original point I was trying to state is why don't we use maps for the traction and deformation. As far as traction goes the only for I can see is the amount you can use. You can have unlimited (use this loosely) number of tiles but only x amount of traction colours. As far as deformation goes it should be sweet. Pixel for pixel.
It does pixel by pixel. The traction tile just specifies how that particular section of track erodes (max depth, how quickly it digs, etc)
al167
Team: Privateer

Post by al167 »

stevo, id suppose not having a seperat map for erode saves the need for another bitmap to load and keeps backwards compatibility. I wonder sometimes why backwards compatibility is so important as most people will be happy to update their stuff to suit an updated game engine(speaking for myself anyway lol).
But if your comparing reflex to mxs, I like the way reflex controls the rate of deformation, total depth and build up on sides of deformation with one RGB image. I also I like on reflex how you can control how far the wheels appears below the surface for different textures. with all these variables, you can create very good deformation, but on the other hand, Reflex doesn't use forces and wheelspin to calculate how much erosion occurs - like mxs does, so mxs probably does a more realistic job at it, but its very slow at updating the data so it looks terrible in real time. maybe a much simpler and faster smoke and mirrors version of erode(just like reflex) is the answer to getting it to handle the bandwidth for online play.
Boblob801

Post by Boblob801 »

Thats why I figured it would be easier to load a 2 1k maps (Which is literally nothing, .2 extra riders) That plus I feel that it's easier to smoothly merge it with the map, tiles seem so subtle, it's so instant, you almost need extra tiles for transition between dirt and mud and water etc.
Hi
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

So use the extra tiles. Seems like you can be pretty smooth with 256 different tile types. Since each tile can define its friction curve, roll resistance curve, roost and erode parameters there's too much info to hold in an RGB map. Not to mention that it's much easier to have that data contained in one convenient file instead of scattered across multiple image files.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Boblob801

Post by Boblob801 »

But that was kind of my point. I don't want to create 10 extra tiles and figure out a medium point of friction and erode etc to merge two opposite ending ones. I like to paint a blue, green or red line and blur it. As it stands the friction for tracks seem relatively complex or at least I find someone asking me if I know anything about it on a regular basis (Not that I actually help people anymore).
Hi
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Good friction settings are complicated. A simple friction map won't cut it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
JT43
Crushed Dissenter
Team: MotardMatt220

Post by JT43 »

Seen the title of the thread and thought of this.
Sorry, just pretend im not here
jlv wrote: Motardmatt220 is a crock of shit
KTM57 wrote: August is 13 years old and thinks he's hot shit because he's a lot younger than everyone else
SevenMX
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Bill Sport Motor

Post by SevenMX »

JT43 wrote:

Seen the title of the thread and thought of this.
Sorry, just pretend im not here
Stormz

Post by Stormz »

I read the OP's name as autism.

Then I read his post and realized why I thought that.