New suspension updates optional?

Post your suggestions here
Fro77
Team: TBR

Re: New suspension updates optional?

Post by Fro77 »

dylan22 wrote:I dunno how many of you ride seriously but, if your going to land hard. Your best bet is to pin the throttle as you land as the forward momentum absorbs a lot of the force. Who on earth goes yeah I'm over jumping, better land with no gas. If you land pinned and loop your larry. How about you grip with your knees instead of flapping them like a seagull.
So many Retweets
Ddavis wrote:You paid your $5 to do this shitty event so deal with it, everyone who wants their money back for whatever fucking reason, go get a job you poor bastard.
James_122 wrote:If you really want to know if Jesus is real, just ask Havoc They went to college together.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

checkerz wrote:Has anyone asked what is causing such a drastic difference from landing on the gas versus landing off the gas. Using that sand jump as an example, I can crash doubling in landing on the gas cleanly while land 5 in no problem landing without the gas on.

I understand accelerating loads the rear end, but it seems really excessive. The weight transfer on hard landings seems to go to directly to the rear wheel where I would think a sudden stop in momentum would load the front more (I know jack shit about physics, so feel free to correct me for speaking out my ass) or toss the rider over the front more. That doesn't ever really seem to be an issue.

I will say I can land some incredibly unrealistic big lines off the gas and that threshold seems too high, while on the gas pitches me for just clipping the rear tire stepping from one table to another which I would expect to have little to no impact at all on me except maybe a loss of traction.
My guess would be that landing with the clutch in would maximize your chances of staying on. Adding acceleration or deceleration is going to bring you closer to the G limit where it throws the rider.

I understand the frustration, but it's hard to come up with a test that limits the huge hits without having some weird falls on small hits.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
SCUMBAG MX
Team: PoGo

Post by SCUMBAG MX »

I feel like a big concern would be where to draw the line on what's the simple setups. Like the advanced suspension could always update, but how could the community decide on which simple setup is the best?
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

SCUMBAG MX wrote:I feel like a big concern would be where to draw the line on what's the simple setups. Like the advanced suspension could always update, but how could the community decide on which simple setup is the best?
ryanmx25

Post by ryanmx25 »

He means having presents for suspensions like there are presents for stability. For example 250 Mx, 450 Mx etc.. But the suspension would still be fully adjustable.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly....one of the underlying issues here is the contradiction between excess force imparted on the bike/rider by tracks that are not 1:1 scale vs. force limits for fall-offs/crashes that are based on a 1:1 scale - yes? I understand this is not the case for every single track or incident, but is that somewhat in the ballpark?
Aggressively Mediocre Image
SOAB_465

Post by SOAB_465 »

dylan22 wrote:I dunno how many of you ride seriously but, if your going to land hard. Your best bet is to pin the throttle as you land as the forward momentum absorbs a lot of the force. Who on earth goes yeah I'm over jumping, better land with no gas. If you land pinned and loop your larry. How about you grip with your knees instead of flapping them like a seagull.
Your best bet is to land with some throttle on, on your back tire, but I refuse to believe you're landing at full throttle on the rev limiter in 2nd gear on a 450 and riding it out until someone shows me. If you try it on a 125 it's fine, both in the game and real life. The majority of the panic rev in real life is done before you land, once you land you're more likely at 1/3 or 1/2 throttle.

On another note though:

JLV, does the current model take chain torque into account to stiffen the rear suspension under power? I'm not sure that it wouldn't cause more strange kicks than it would fix, I'm just curious
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

ryanmx25 wrote:He means having presents for suspensions like there are presents for stability. For example 250 Mx, 450 Mx etc.. But the suspension would still be fully adjustable.
So if I understand correctly, he is asking for say softer base suspension on 250's and a stiffer base for 450's when set to say 'stock settings' of 50? We have the opposite of this currently because of the difference in weight between the two bikes.
Big Smooth one3 wrote:Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly....one of the underlying issues here is the contradiction between excess force imparted on the bike/rider by tracks that are not 1:1 scale vs. force limits for fall-offs/crashes that are based on a 1:1 scale - yes? I understand this is not the case for every single track or incident, but is that somewhat in the ballpark?
Yes, I am pretty sure that all of the SX series tracks built are above 1:1 scale. So it is hard to compare forces when we are over 1:1 scale.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
Big Smooth one3 wrote:Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly....one of the underlying issues here is the contradiction between excess force imparted on the bike/rider by tracks that are not 1:1 scale vs. force limits for fall-offs/crashes that are based on a 1:1 scale - yes? I understand this is not the case for every single track or incident, but is that somewhat in the ballpark?
Yes, I am pretty sure that all of the SX series tracks built are above 1:1 scale. So it is hard to compare forces when we are over 1:1 scale.
Right, that's what I was thinking. It's probably entirely impossible, but what would happen if the forces impacted on rider/bike could be mediated by the scale of the individual track - as opposed to the forces being a 1:1 absolute regardless of which track was being ridden? I wouldn't even know where to start with that, but it was just a fleeting thought that came to mind...
Aggressively Mediocre Image
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

SOAB_465 wrote:JLV, does the current model take chain torque into account to stiffen the rear suspension under power? I'm not sure that it wouldn't cause more strange kicks than it would fix, I'm just curious
It doesn't model the chain force.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yFMX
Team: Privateer

Post by yFMX »

I've been riding 1:1 sx tracks since the update and had maybe 2 or 3 weird fall offs the whole time.
Then I tried the RBSR track and if I barely clip the landing with the rear wheel, I crash. I've had more fall offs in a few runs on the RBSR track than the whole time on 1:1 sx tracks.
The new suspensions are still better than the old ones though.
Bubba40
Team: Kyb/Enzo

Post by Bubba40 »

The suspension has it's benefits and it's negatives. IMO we need to go back to 1.10 way more consistent, here's a clip with the new suspension barely casing a jump https://gyazo.com/07dfb501aee0eeee71b3f2b4bc9537de if we run the new suspension
it's going to be a survival race, right now i'm just trying to make my back shock to not get a fall offs and this happens. My lap times on sim have not really changed but my consistency definitely has gown down because of this. I think the fork low speeds work amazing but back shock needs to go back to the old way. here's a another crash cause of this new snapshot. https://embed.gyazo.com/809d5b556737c3f ... 5cf4ba.gif
It's 4:42 in morning sorry for my spelling and my english.
SOAB_465

Post by SOAB_465 »

I wonder if Racetech knows how much force the chain tension can add to the rear suspension? Like if it max's out at 50lbs you could interpolate that from landing with the clutch in up to landing in 5th tapped. I don't know how much difference it would make, but it would stiffen the shock some in the whoops and on-offs. I still think a lot of the fall offs are from forward acceleration more than vertical though.
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Why the fuck is this a thing. i dont care if im first wide i fell from a few feet standing up.

Also why can i fall from the sky and land when im sitting down and have a better chance at living.

still wide open

barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Don't know what you guys are on about landing on the throttle, I almost always land WFO and don't get these random falloffs. I've used everything from super stiff digressive to softer progressive in SX (which actually doesn't feel too bad) and don't get random falloffs. Not sure what you guys are doing :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.