New suspension updates optional?

Post your suggestions here
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Re: New suspension updates optional?

Post by motokid499 »

I'm just wondering what changed. We didn't have this falloff problem before the update, how is it so common now? What changed? If we are running linear suspension then it's the same as before correct? So why do we get the falloffs?
Tanner Rogers
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

checkerz wrote:The ones I'd like to get rid of would be in the whoops and stepping onto a tabletop in SX generally from table to table i notice it more often.
That's why I was suggesting raising the G limit when you haven't dropped more than 5 feet. You aren't dropping very far for those obstacles. The only question is if there's a situation where the higher limit under 5 feet would not be what we want. I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Basically, we want the rider to fall off on anything worse than badly casing a SX triple or overjumping a SX triple to flat. For everything else he stays on. Right?
checkerz wrote:I still feel like the fall off when falling from extremely high angles is too low as well. Would it be possible to have the falloff limit ramp up based on the steepness of the angle you are dropping from?And to add more confusion, a variable based on distance? Yea, that won't cause any tuning issues and more problems... (kidding, but that would be in my head the ultimate solution if tuned properly)

I mean, I would think if I jumped 300 feet, and 70 feet up, I'd have to have a near perfect landing to live, while jumping 300 feet from 50 feet up would need a slightly less perfect landing.
The G test does that automatically. Bigger drops cause bigger G loads, perfect landings make smaller G loads. If your velocity vector is perfectly aligned with the landing ramp there won't be any G load when you touch down no matter how far you've dropped.
motokid499 wrote:I'm just wondering what changed. We didn't have this falloff problem before the update, how is it so common now? What changed? If we are running linear suspension then it's the same as before correct? So why do we get the falloffs?
The linkage is progressive and softer overall in this version.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

Sounds like you have a winning idea.

Thanks for explaining. I wasn't thinking about height from max to touchdown, I was thinking about height above "flat" which clearly I was just not thinking haha.
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

jlv wrote:Basically, we want the rider to fall off on anything worse than badly casing a SX triple or overjumping a SX triple to flat. For everything else he stays on. Right?
Sounds good to me.
One thing I would like, and I might be alone in this, is for the loss of stability after hitting someone to go away, or at least be changed. I feel like the front-end-lock was initially implemented because people didn't want to be taken out and have there be no consequences for the one doing the takeout. In AMA racing, plenty of takeouts have happened, and one rider can ride away while the other is left on the ground. This is possible in MX Sim, but I just feel like with the new collisions and everything that physics would work themselves out and better racing could be had.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Think the last thing sounds good.

I also want to agree with Tyskorn (if I understood him correctly). It's really annoying when someone barely cuts you off and you don't seem to collide (maybe the collision spheres does, I have no idea), the wheels or riders aren't touching the other riders/bike. About 0.5-1s after the incident occurred, you will have your front wheel getting turned max to the other direction, so you end up on the dirt. Haven't really understood how that comes.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I don't want to go off topic here, but with the full stabilization force most take out attempts result in the wrong rider going down. The stabilizer reacts so quickly the rider getting his front wheel taken out actually has the advantage. If you want to argue about it, start a new topic.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Interesting, if you do a straight up pass and they run into the back of you, will it result in the person taking them wide to go down then? Rather than the person who is being passed? Sorry to go off topic. Btw sounds good about staying on the bike other than real high impacts like over jumping a supercross triple. I'm just confused though because this game has weird glitches where sometimes I'll case a quad and not get legs off but case a small double and get legs off.
Racers52

Post by Racers52 »

Once I got a proper setup and actually rode multiple styles of tracks the updated suspension is overall better than what we previously had before.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Ddavis wrote:Interesting, if you do a straight up pass and they run into the back of you, will it result in the person taking them wide to go down then? Rather than the person who is being passed?
Pretty much. Taking out someone's front wheel would result in you getting dragged down most of the time, but if you just t-boned them you'd usually survive it.
Ddavis wrote:Btw sounds good about staying on the bike other than real high impacts like over jumping a supercross triple. I'm just confused though because this game has weird glitches where sometimes I'll case a quad and not get legs off but case a small double and get legs off.
It's not really a glitch. The threshold for the rider falling off is consistent. Some things just create more force than you'd expect.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com