Expand Showing of User "Birthday"

Post your suggestions here
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Expand Showing of User "Birthday"

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

We all know there are a fair amount of "underage" kids that are both playing mxs as well as actively (and excessively) posting on these forums. I am finding it difficult to determine what is appropriate interaction with some users in both settings, so I wanted to throw out an idea to help with this general dilemma (please, if there is a better way to do this, mention it).

Sometimes when responding to something - whether it be on these forums or in chat on an official server - I can be torn between a couple of thoughts: A) how could any reasonable person think this, I disagree, but maybe there's something I'm missing...but probably not, so let me speak my mind; or B) how could any reasonable person think this....oh wait, that sounds like a kid...

As an adult, I don't think it is the best approach to put these kids on blast because, well, we were all kids somewhere along the line. Not only do I feel it is inappropriate for an adult to respond to a minor as if he were a peer, but I think it plays a big part in a lot of the shit flinging that goes on around here - someone of one maturity level speaking to a second different person, leading to a complete misinterpretation (hope that makes sense).

SO, after all that, here is a suggestion - next to each users post, underneath their chosen avatar, actively list their birthday. As I understand it, a users age is only shown upon their birthday and not with each posted message. Yes, there are many ways to get around this (i.e. lying), but I have seen enough 14 year olds apply to be on teams that I feel reasonably confident that we could AT LEAST get a general sense as to who we are talking to.

Lastly, if you're reading this and think there is a better way to identify a general age range of user for the purpose of appropriating interaction with one another, please mention it. I really enjoy being involved in the "community" and am not suggesting we banish all the kids, just want to have an idea as to who I am dealing with - essentially, I wouldn't talk to a middle schooler the same way as a 25+ year old, and I would hope others agreed.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
slowngreen
Team: MotoPin Racing

Re: Expand Showing of User "Birthday"

Post by slowngreen »

If it actually helps or not, I dont see how it could actually hurt to have this feature. Might be interesting just to see easier how old some of the guys are. But I do think it helps knowing the age of who you are conversing with. Some "kids" are far more mature than some of the adults here. But adults I think might be actually out numbers 10:1 here. I know I feel like an old man most of the time here.
JJH186
Team: VMRacing

Post by JJH186 »

slowngreen wrote:If it actually helps or not, I dont see how it could actually hurt to have this feature. Might be interesting just to see easier how old some of the guys are. But I do think it helps knowing the age of who you are conversing with. Some "kids" are far more mature than some of the adults here. But adults I think might be actually out numbers 10:1 here. I know I feel like an old man most of the time here.
Haha yeah, I am not sure how old people think I am and it would be interesting to know what y'all think. I can guess peoples age by how maturely they reply to people. Yeah there are some very mature 14 year old's and really immature adults out there as well. I think this feature would be nice just to get a sense of who you are talking to like Big Smooth one3 said. Sometimes I just want to know how old someone is to make sure I am not influencing a young kid.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

If you click their username, it displays their age.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

I just "scroll-click" to open their user profile in a new tab, then scroll-click (to shut down that tab) on that tab once I've seen what I wanted to see.
JJH186
Team: VMRacing

Post by JJH186 »

Wahlamt wrote:I just "scroll-click" to open their user profile in a new tab, then scroll-click (to shut down that tab) on that tab once I've seen what I wanted to see.
True XD