Damping against rotation around z-axis

Post your suggestions here
vmaki
Team: Privateer

Damping against rotation around z-axis

Post by vmaki »

To make things hopefully more clear I drew an excellent picture about what I mean.

Does this exist in the game? My background is with bmx and downhill bikes and with those you can definitely affect the bike by twisting your body around z-axis. Does this have a similar effect with motorcycles or are they just too heavy?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Damping against rotation around z-axis

Post by jlv »

The game doesn't use any external forces that would violate conservation of momentum. If you just mean you want the rider to be able to twist with respect to the bike, that would be possible but I'm not going to add that right now. There is much more gyro effect and mass on a motorcycle so the effect would be much smaller than on a BMX bike.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:that would be possible but I'm not going to add that right now.
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

jlv wrote:The game doesn't use any external forces that would violate conservation of momentum. If you just mean you want the rider to be able to twist with respect to the bike, that would be possible but I'm not going to add that right now.
So would that be a spring and damping setting for the rider from side to side just like there is now for up, down forwards and backwards? Or an actual control to twist the rider? Or both?
jlv wrote:There is much more gyro effect and mass on a motorcycle so the effect would be much smaller than on a BMX bike.
That's what I thought.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

vmaki wrote:So would that be a spring and damping setting for the rider from side to side just like there is now for up, down forwards and backwards? Or an actual control to twist the rider? Or both?
Could be either, although the stabilizer tends to get confused if the rider moves around laterally.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

jlv wrote:
vmaki wrote:So would that be a spring and damping setting for the rider from side to side just like there is now for up, down forwards and backwards? Or an actual control to twist the rider? Or both?
Could be either, although the stabilizer tends to get confused if the rider moves around laterally.
That sounds like you have tried that at some point? :)
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Yeah. It made some bad oscillations as the stabilizer tried to correct for the rider's weight moving side to side. Not unsolvable but definitely easier to just lock the rider down in the x plane.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com