Storkens Wishlist

Post your suggestions here
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Storkens Wishlist

Post by Wahlamt »

These ideas/suggestions is what I've come up with or seen others suggest during a period of time. I'll try to motivate why I want the things too.

Split timing gates/split timing gates set
What does this mean? This would give the track makers the ability to make real split lanes, that actually can go very far aside, and not have to worry about someone cutting. How this could be implemented is you take gate 3 OR 4. Perhaps even 3 4 5 OR 6 7 8. So the code could look like this:

Code: Select all

normallap:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (8 9 10 11 || 12 13 14 15) 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
The pipelines " || ", means "or" in programming terms. So we can see that we would have to take all the timing gates on either side of the parenthesis above.

Custom timing gate respawn in time trial
Everyone that has spent some time in time trial mode should have experienced this. You want to start up the new SX for example, but it's so annoying because you have to start in the face of some jump. My suggestion for this is following.

firstlap:
0 5 6 7 8
normallap:
9 10 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
respawn:
Here does "respawn: 5" indicate that you should start on gate 5 when running your time trial laps. If not defined, it could be as before.

Delete gradients
Probably just me, but sometimes you add some gradient by mistake. Feels somewhat annoying that you cannot delete them from the in-game editor.

Set sun in game
Personally, I have no clue how the sun thing works. I know that there is the sun angle calculator, but it's still a little fuzzy. If you could either drag the sun to a position you'd like and save it. I realize as of now, the game might have to be restarted, but at least you would know where the light source is coming from and how your changes change the lighting.

Use a gradient to paint a gradient
I'm going to explain this one in 2 versions. I'll try to find the right words for it..

Version 1
Here we see the standard gradient, showing where it begins and ends. But on this one, we can also change "how it's lined up". I cannot see this being used in any way with radial add/paint, so this is (in my mind) a linear thing only. Looking at version 2 below, figure 1. What I try to show here is how the line (the curved gradient) is always "facing forwards" relative to how far it is along the curve (the red lines). So in the beginning of the curve, "straight forward" is pointing to the left. In the center, it's straight ahead while at the end it's facing right. (as vectors on a bow/curve if I remember my physics right..)

Version 2
This one is a little different. Figure 1 I already explained above, it's just the path of the gradient. 2 is the normal one where you set the height. The 3rd one however is "across" the gradient. Let's say you're trying to build a road up a mountain. If you do that now and want top use 1 single gradient, it's not going to work. Since unless you're in the "line" of the gradient, you will have the road higher to your right and lower to your left (whatever that's called), so you're most likely sliding a little left whether you want to or not. This one would represent sort of the red lines in fig.1. This will also be relative to where on the gradient you are, but you will still have an almost flat surface up the hill, instead of having the same angle at all time, no matter of direction. Sorry if this suggestion was too fuzzy. Hard to explain. :(

"Notification" while ghosted
This is something I would like to see both online and in playback. As of reviewing protests for example, you have no idea if the person that just got taken down was ghosted or not. Well if it's a pure t-bone and one flies sky higher and the other one isn't affected, you can guess which one is ghosted and which one is not. But if it's just a smaller t-bone or blockpass (that's too aggressive), it can be really hard to determine if one was ghosted or not. Also when racing, it is way more urgent (for yourself) to get to the nearest timing gates, to not get run over by the entire pack if you're ghosted. My suggestion is for this, adding the text "G", "Ghosted", "invisible" or something similar. The original "Dabbing!" text by the tach would be great for this, but saying "ghosted" instead. Since you most likely won't be ghosted as much as you sit/dab.

"Show key"
Since there is more people starting to stream and wanting to stream, I think that having to "click to show key" is a good addition. As on stream, you have no chance in saving the situation, as with just a video you're going to edit, you can simple cut that part out or cover the key with a white box.

Panning in "TV mode"
When you've set up the cameras, you either focus on the rider, or move it freely yourself. I think a little panning would be nice, that you have 2 keys for panning right and left. When one of those are pressed, as smooth move will pan (for as long as the button is pushed) about 20-30 degrees to right or left. Since there are sometimes battles that are hard to cover with it being 100% focused on one of the riders.

@link for jm files
As I learned just a few days ago, you can (but not recursively) do "@link rmz450-coolmodel-skin.png" to reference another skin, instead of having 2 png's of the same. Since most people have the same bike model for 250/450, also on different dynos. I think it'd be a good idea to be able to link those too!

Backspace (in editor) applies to everything
I cannot count how many times I've pressed backspace in hopes to remove a tilemap-painting, decal or statue. The outcome is always the same. I delete some "linear paint" I just recently did very carefully, and my actual mistake remains. Also increasing the saved steps from 10(?) to 20 would be a nice addition, if you ask me.

Square tool
Especially for jumps, when using "linear paint", it's always the struggle of painting good. If what you paint is perfectly straight shaped (in terms of not being an elevation difference from side to side) you can just drag the gradient further than the jump on both sides and walk away with it. However when it's more bumps and stuff, you seem to always have it good on the sides, but the painting goes unnecessarily far since it's round. Maybe that's just me having the problem. But I do come across situations pretty often where I would have liked to try out a squared paint tool.

Server list + menu
Handling servers, there's currently the history. But after a few days trying to qualify, seeing which server is closest to finish a race etc, it's easy that your whole list consists of 4 different servers. My idea for this is in the current "multiplayer" tab add a tab called "server list". Once upon clicking it, it works like playback demo, but instead of opening a demo, it will connect to the server you clicked on. Why not just use the servers page? That requires restarting the game, going out of the game, pulling up that page, clicking, auto-launch the game and my biggest complaint, having to reload the skins and tracks (if you for example is changing qualifying server). It's frustrating to have to load the track + bike that you just were on, just to change server. How would you add this list? My idea for this is a file called "servers". This server file would look something like:

address: server.storkenmxs.com
name: Storken's Server

address: elsinore.mxsimulator.com:19800
name: Elsinore stock 00

address: EMFRacing.mxsim.fr:19800
name: EMF Racing 00

address: EMFQ3.mxsim.fr:19807
name: EMF Q3

address: EMFQ4.mxsim.fr:19807
name: EMF Q4
This file would be considered (as far as I am concerned) "advanced users only", so you would have to create it yourself, to not create too much confusion among new users.

Homologate file for server
From my understanding, homologate has to be called, either with a script or typed in manually to make the changes. I'd like to see this work as the ban file "--ban-file filename.txt", but here you would have like "--accepted-bikes bikes.txt". This would be extremely useful since if you want to lock riders to only use 2013 or 2016 bikes for racing.

Mute file for server
This would be the same as above pretty much. Since the mutes do disappear upon a restart of the server? So "--mute-file mute.txt" and:

<time> <uid> <reason>
0 7250 Too cool to speak
150 12312 Needs to cool down
40000 32131 Bad behavior

Lots of stuff! I hope I made sense yo you all out there! The current state of the game is amazing enough to me, and will keep me satisfied for a good amount of years in the future. However these are some improvement's I'd like to see, even though the game is amazing as it is!

Thanks for listening, I'm out :)
Cdod119
Team: 906 Media

Re: Storkens Wishlist

Post by Cdod119 »

I agree, split lanes would make for some much more creative supercross tracks and in addition, the Redbull Straight Rhythm would no longer tolerate riders in other lanes. The editor issues I can, for the most part, deal with. The game could use some more coding options as well like you said. My biggest beef is with the sun vector. Honestly, I don't think anyone truly understands how it works or how the calculations work. In my opinion, the sun should be on a 360-degree horizontal axis (full circle around the map) and an 180-degree vertical axis (half circle). If you picture these two in your head, you can line any point between the circles so that the sun can be anywhere in the sky with two easy to understand numbers. I understand some of the following positionings are technically not possible, but there's no compass in sim so :D

The code would look as follows (Horizontal axis will rotate from the North clockwise, Vertical axis will start at the top from 0 and go to -90 in the West and 90 in the East)

sun vector [X Y] easy as that

i.e.

Sun in the Northeast, fairly high in the sky

sun vector [45.000000 10.000000]

Sun in the Southwest, low in the sky

sun vector [132.000000 -81.000000]

I know it's kind of hard to envision the two axis and how they would correlate but I can't find any similar diagrams on the web :(
"What's a socket"
-Nathan Smith
slowngreen
Team: MotoPin Racing

Post by slowngreen »

I always use the Sun Angle Calculator. http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25668

I love the idea of changing the respawn point. That was one reason I suggested we get the reset switched from reverse to a selected button, since alot of tracks you have to reverse some to even get started since you are on the face of a jump as your starting point. But being able to change it per track would be rad.
Cdod119
Team: 906 Media

Post by Cdod119 »

slowngreen wrote:I always use the Sun Angle Calculator. http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25668

I love the idea of changing the respawn point. That was one reason I suggested we get the reset switched from reverse to a selected button, since alot of tracks you have to reverse some to even get started since you are on the face of a jump as your starting point. But being able to change it per track would be rad.
I think the respawn point is really clever as well since just moving the timing gate in the editor often sacrifices the ability to be timed, since you'll either be going at them in an incorrect order or you can't hit that timing gate every time around
"What's a socket"
-Nathan Smith
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Realized I forgot one.

Color coded minimap position
In races, if you crash and gets passed by 2 guys, where only one lapped you. It's really hard to tell from the "time to rider in front" when they're so close together. Having people close to lapping you (10s behind) and people who already have lapped you would make it easier. Just set all of the to blue. Even sometimes it can be difficult with lappers in front of you, especially if they just got back up from a crash.
mecke96
Team: Northern Factory MX

Post by mecke96 »

Love all this ideas! The square tool is almost a must, it will save alot of minutes and eventual hours. Also the undo, If there was a TAB that you could have check boxes of what you want to undo. All this ideas would make the game and map editing easier and much more fun!
2014 Amateur 125 SX : 1st Overall
My tracks!: Swedish Enduro NFMX JokerMX Apex Motocross
My models!: Timbersled kit
BeezyBreezy
Crushed Dissenter
Team: META Racing AU

Post by BeezyBreezy »

Absolutely excellent ideas! Id back this 100%
This track is in need of some serious re vamping, now I know JLV has better things to do, but for a hobby this games is far superior to another Motocross / Game, With a little more work or even the though of getting people in to help him Upgrade this game, It could transform the game for not only Riding and Racing, But in game editor and track building!
Track Builder, Bike Skiner For Mx Sim and Others
If you would like to see more work from me, donatioans are always nice
Do Custom skins and Tracks for $$
https://www.paypal.me/TyraLynch
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Multi-point lines
Every now and then when I make tracks, I use the "add" along with the lines "l" option. However I can't begin at the end point for a new lines since I'd have the height added twice to that spot. You can of course use a gradient and use paint if it's suitable, but using the "raise" option allows for quicker changes such as focus and strength which takes more time to change in the editor. My suggestion is that if you're on a current line, pressing for example the key "1" in the editor will lock the first line to that position while continuing on with a new line from that point, so you could for example make 90 degree banks with the raise tool.