6DOF First Person View

Post your suggestions here
TwinScroll
Team: Privateer

6DOF First Person View

Post by TwinScroll »

Hello All, First post for me although I've been playing MX Sim on and off since 2010. I haven't seen many suggestions related to adding axis support for the FPV camera. I'm not a programmer so I don't know how difficult this would be to implement. I'm sure most people are aware, VR is the talk of the town. From the little I do know, official Occulus or Vice support would be quite a chore. The first step, however, would be a 6DOF FPV camera.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom

One of the main problems with binding this to a traditional controller is how many axes and buttons are required to play MX Sim which requires the use of basically every finger ( with a PlayStation or Xbox controller). A 6DOF FPV that could be mapped would enable us to take advantage of opensource headtracking solutions such as FaceTrackNOIR or It's successor Opentrack: https://github.com/opentrack
Anyone who has used headtracking knows, this would be a HUGE benefit when MX Simulator.

One of the first things I learned when riding IRL is having the tendency to go wherever your head is pointed. Fix your vision to where you want to wind up and you'll subconsciously maneuver the bike to arrive there. Having the fixed rider camera doesn't really allow for that.

Another possible benefit down the line is a potential solution to somewhat fixed rider position. Controlling the rider's lateral position/CG has been discussed before. Does anyone else think using your IRL head location would be suitable for shifting around the rider's CG center position?

I really hope we see support for this someday! Till then, thanks for everything JLV (and the community! :mrgreen: )
onefoureight
Team: Not Splitfire

Re: 6DOF First Person View

Post by onefoureight »

sounds like a cool idea.
2015 Australian Supercross 450 champion | rF Villain | Wolf Pack Racing Leader | CBL Gaming