Front wheel lock

Post your suggestions here
InsaneFMX
Team: Flipin 150ft triples

Re: Front wheel lock

Post by InsaneFMX »

So currently any front wheel contact fully disables the stabilizer for roughly a second or so right? If it were changed to a reduction of the stabilizers effect, somewhere between 70-90%, to find the sweet spot where its a drastic enough change to promote a crash but leaving a little bit of control to hold out for a save. It could make racing tighter while adding another level of skill to the game.
Ezra
Team: Privateer

Post by Ezra »

So I was thinking earlier, and came across a different possible way to solve the front end lock issue. What if you took speed, and possibly direction of both colliding riders into consideration when calculating how much destabilization occurs, possibly something multiplier based.

This way, if set up correctly, at lower speeds collisions between riders would result in less destabilization than collisions at higher speeds. This would also help dramatically with turn one pileups; with one rider's speed being static, and the other's presumably relatively low, the destabilizing effects would be FAR less than a collision at full speed.

For example, and these are just random numbers, say you choose a destabilization multiplier of .75, and choose to add the two riders' speeds together, it could look something like this:
Both Riders 20mph: 20+20=40mph combined speed 40(.75)=30% destabilization
One Rider 40mph, one 60mph:40+60=100mph combined speed 100(.75)=75% destabilization
One Rider static, one 20mph:0+20=20mph combined speed 20(.75)=15% destabilization

Different ways of combining the speeds, and/or including direction could allow this to be tuned to react in a huge number of different ways, from a large change in effect depending on speed, to just a minor adjustment.
All opinions expressed by this account are unofficial, and should be taken with a grain of salt
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Speed wouldn't be a good parameter for that. The block passes that the stabilizer messes up are usually at surprisingly slow speeds. You're almost stopped when you're pivoting in a SX corner.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mr. Wiggles
Team: GSR/137 Kid

Post by Mr. Wiggles »

jlv wrote:Speed wouldn't be a good parameter for that. The block passes that the stabilizer messes up are usually at surprisingly slow speeds. You're almost stopped when you're pivoting in a SX corner.
Angle?
Bottom feeder at LCQ Studios
Internet Nice Guy!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The angle will be pretty much the same whether you're getting your front wheel taken out or just gooned your way into someone. Getting your front wheel into someone doesn't usually end well either way.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
sethiemeboi
Crushed Dissenter
Team: VlastMX

Post by sethiemeboi »

i wasnt even around when this was, but it sounds way way better than whats happening now.
maggett
Team: Architech

Post by maggett »

please my brain cant take much more front end lock with a slight tap into someone
2018 EMF EU 250SX East Coast Champion
spencerturley
Team: Spencer Turley Team

Post by spencerturley »

It is pretty weird how simply changing your rider vertical spring and forward spring makes you go from barely tapping someone locking up and going down instantly without any chance to save it or being able to bounce off of everyone like a ping pong ball and keep the bike up no problem.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl_TV ... 2yoqBBJytQ
All My Custom Track Download Links Are In Descriptions Of My YouTube Videos Under "My Custom Tracks" Playlist
Message Me On Instagram @spencerturley To Get In My Discord/Team
sethiemeboi
Crushed Dissenter

Post by sethiemeboi »

we should probably make to to where when your in the air and you press the front brake, you dont fall like a helpless brick.

why is it that when you press the front brake when airborn you literally lose ALL of your aerodynamics? idk just kinda weird
GHarlan
Crushed Dissenter

Post by GHarlan »

sethiemeboi wrote:we should probably make to to where when your in the air and you press the front brake, you dont fall like a helpless brick.

why is it that when you press the front brake when airborn you literally lose ALL of your aerodynamics? idk just kinda weird
Ive actually tried hitting my front brake in the air while riding (irl) and let me say that its way worse than what happens in sim...
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

sethiemeboi wrote:we should probably make to to where when your in the air and you press the front brake, you dont fall like a helpless brick.

because.... physics.

1. You lose the gyro affect in the front wheel when you brake in mid air (gyro effect of the wheels helps keep the bike upright and stable)
2. You can't accelerate the front wheel after you brake tap
3. The jolt a frozen front tire gets when landing causes a minor loss in traction

https://gfycat.com/UnripeUnfinishedDugong
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
sethiemeboi
Crushed Dissenter

Post by sethiemeboi »

ShackAttack12 wrote:

because.... physics.

1. You lose the gyro affect in the front wheel when you brake in mid air (gyro effect of the wheels helps keep the bike upright and stable)
3. The jolt a frozen front tire gets when landing causes a minor loss in traction

but if i lean super hard in one direction mid whip just after locking the front wheel, i dont move. why am i all of a sudden baby strength? i
AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

sethiemeboi wrote:
ShackAttack12 wrote:

because.... physics.

but if i lean super hard in one direction mid whip just after locking the front wheel, i dont move. why am i all of a sudden baby strength? i
because.... physics.

Because... Thats how life is. Thats how it always will be.
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
Ezra
Team: Privateer

Post by Ezra »

sethiemeboi wrote:
Because what most of what is moving the bike in the air isn't the rider's body, its the effect of the front wheel gyro on the frame of the bike.

Basically as the wheel is spinning, it wants to continue in the same direction/motion its currently in, when you exert a force change the direction of the rotation, it exerts a force back on the bike, moving it. Once the front wheel is stopped, there is no longer a direction of rotation to change, and thus no forces applied to the bike when you turn the wheel.
All opinions expressed by this account are unofficial, and should be taken with a grain of salt
AHeckman2
Team: Heckman Productions

Post by AHeckman2 »

Please please please please please please please get rid of front end lock, or at least dampen it lol. Been getting more and more annoyed with it lately.