Full res mini map no matter the graphic settings

Post your suggestions here
Mikey

Full res mini map no matter the graphic settings

Post by Mikey »

I just remember the res of the mini map is tied with one of the graphics settings, could it just be full res no matter what graphics your running.

I know it's a very small suggestion but I find it quite annoying how pixelated it always becomes while racing, would be nice to go with the cursor suggestion!
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Full res mini map no matter the graphic settings

Post by jlv »

Would you believe people actually use 4k textures for the map sometimes? It's crazy. When I do the texture limit by world DPI thing I should be able to make it only downscale the map when its too big.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

No, I really wouldn't. Colour me impressed though, the mini map was always the most important aspect of a track.. when they are built in 30 minutes :lol:, Ahhhh the memories.

But no I didn't know it was possible, I always thought the limit was 512 or 1024.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Post by VUSTTOS »

jlv wrote:Would you believe people actually use 4k textures for the map sometimes? It's crazy. When I do the texture limit by world DPI thing I should be able to make it only downscale the map when its too big.
So in a future we wouldnt be able to use 4k? Even in our bikes/gear?
Alex V111#1017
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

VUSTTOS wrote:
jlv wrote:Would you believe people actually use 4k textures for the map sometimes? It's crazy. When I do the texture limit by world DPI thing I should be able to make it only downscale the map when its too big.
So in a future we wouldnt be able to use 4k? Even in our bikes/gear?
Think he meant the map.png specifically. Also something like
/setmapscalemax 512
then try to down/up-sample it too 512?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

What happens now is it takes the 4k map, uploads the 89 MB texture to the graphics card (less if your texture detail is under 10), which then renders it on the screen at a resolution around 512x512 using the 3rd mip level (about 1 MB) and never even touches the other 88 MB.

When I do the DPI based texture limit, instead of just downsampling every texture depending on what the detail is set at, it'll only downsample textures that are over a DPI limit in the game world. Kind of sucks since sometimes there are reasons to use extreme detail, but something has to be done about the bloated textures.

Anyway, it'll make it possible to downsample the extreme detail textures without downsampling the normal detail stuff into a complete blur.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.