Stationary Billboards

Post your suggestions here
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Stationary Billboards

Post by aeffertz »

For whatever reason, billboards have a lot nicer opacity spectrum to them. Statues are invisible with anything under 60% opacity or something around that point. That also makes having something fade from solid to invisible on a statue plane look bad.

It'd be nice to have an option that allowed you to use simple billboard files and be able to aim/turn them in the track editor, just like you do with statues. Billboards are nice because you also can just use an image to get them in game and adjust the size in the billboard text file, rather than making a plane in blender and having to deal with resizing the plane in blender and whatnot.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Stationary Billboards

Post by jlv »

Translucent stuff has to be drawn back to front. It's easy to do that with billboards since a Z sort gets it right. Once they stop facing the camera the Z sort doesn't work anymore.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:Translucent stuff has to be drawn back to front. It's easy to do that with billboards since a Z sort gets it right. Once they stop facing the camera the Z sort doesn't work anymore.
Shoot. I suppose there's no easy fix to this? Fair enough, just figured I'd mention it incase it would possibly be something "simple" enough.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Nothing easy that's correct. There's depth peeling but that's slow enough that I wouldn't want to do it. You can also just sort the objects as well as you can and ignore the visual errors from the incorrect order. If you draw in the wrong order the translucent object will block the stuff you should have seen through it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.