Organized Event Organization

Post your suggestions here
Sweendoggy
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 am
Team: Lone Wolf
Location: California, US

Organized Event Organization

Postby Sweendoggy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm

It seems like it may be useful to have some sort of "events" feature on the forums, where hosters could add some information and racers could go somewhere to see when the next upcoming events/races are. Now being a guy that occasionally plays sim and doesn't check the forum more than once a month or so (very different perspective than when I hosted races), it would certainly help me to have a list of all the events. For example, I'd love to participate in an organized race this weekend if one was going on, but its a bit of a pain in the butt to figure out (for someone totally out of the loop) if there is one happening since most race threads just have the title of the series and what not, you have to open them and read through to figure out the deal, and often times even then it is unclear what is actually going on, if the race was canceled, how many people are planning to attend, etc.

Even a Facebook type "Event" organizer would be super sweet, then we would just be relying on the hosters to use the system, which I think at least the littler guys would.

Mr. Wiggles
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 pm
Team: MXGH/TGP

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby Mr. Wiggles » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:03 pm

I like this and weren't you gonna make a new racing website?
PM if you want to play BF4 on the xbone (I'm not good but you can look at my stats)
Score per minute 4% 1,050.937
Image

Sweendoggy
Posts: 3626
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 am
Team: Lone Wolf
Location: California, US

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby Sweendoggy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Mr. Wiggles wrote:I like this and weren't you gonna make a new racing website?


I was, but had issues with my webhost (Arvixe sucks now, new owners), realized how disliked I actually am/was in MXS now that there is no reason for people to kiss my ass, and decided it would be better to just give up and not have a presence in the community. Seeing as I no longer have any friends in sim, I just quietly play the game now on the public servers. If I ever do anything in the future, it will probably be annonymously, but I also probably won't do anything with sim.

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12147
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby jlv » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 am

I still like you Sween! Do you mean something like a calendar? I don't want to write anything myself but if there's a good phpBB extension I might install it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
broland278
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:28 am
Team: MotoSavage
Location: Kansas
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby broland278 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:55 am

jlv wrote:I still like you Sween! Do you mean something like a calendar? I don't want to write anything myself but if there's a good phpBB extension I might install it.


I think that would be a awesome idea, very useful really. Will people be able to add events to it? or would we have to request to add an event?

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7479
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby checkerz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 am

I like this. Also allows people planning events to try and schedule at a time to not overlap.

And Sween, I will always have love for you. We may have thrown rocks back and forth at eachother, but I figure it's like a snowball fight. Didn't mean to make it personal. To this day, no one has half the entertainment value in commentary that you do and you're still the OG race host that paved the way for what is done today. If I saw you I'd buy you a beer and sit and BS with you, hopefully you wouldn't dump it over my head and make up a song about it.

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12147
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby jlv » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 am

I couldn't find any phpBB extensions for it. (The extensions page is here.)

As an alternative, I could create a sub-forum for it and we could just put ISO dates in the subject and then sort by subject to find specific dates. E.g. "2017-05-14 Mothers Day Race". Unfortunately, I can't change the default sort order.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
broland278
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:28 am
Team: MotoSavage
Location: Kansas
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby broland278 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:25 am

Is there a way you can add like a "Community Events Calender"?

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2155315

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12147
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby jlv » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 am

That's a mod for phpBB 3.0.x which has been outdated for a while now. Needs to be 3.1.x or 3.2.x to have any chance of working here.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
broland278
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:28 am
Team: MotoSavage
Location: Kansas
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby broland278 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:42 am

jlv wrote:That's a mod for phpBB 3.0.x which has been outdated for a while now. Needs to be 3.1.x or 3.2.x to have any chance of working here.


what about this?

https://phpbb-extensions.ga/extensions/ ... endar.html

i dont know much about phpbb but i know a bit about invision power boards

User avatar
yzmxer608
Posts: 14878
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:30 am
Team: Race Tech/SD
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.A

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby yzmxer608 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:51 am

Sweendoggy wrote:Seeing as I no longer have any friends in sim, I just quietly play the game now on the public servers.

This guy.

Remember when I was taking a shit in Markham's house and you were yelling up at me to hurry up? That's what friends are for guy.

He also had a few rooms full of nothing at that time, I wonder if he filled them with weird stuff like sex dolls or something.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7479
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby checkerz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:36 pm

yzmxer608 wrote:
Sweendoggy wrote:Seeing as I no longer have any friends in sim, I just quietly play the game now on the public servers.

This guy.

Remember when I was taking a shit in Markham's house and you were yelling up at me to hurry up? That's what friends are for guy.

He also had a few rooms full of nothing at that time, I wonder if he filled them with weird stuff like sex dolls or something.


They are filled with schmedium shirts and likely puppy dogs soon to be replaced by kids.

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:27 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby Mikey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Do some fun races Sween, I need that back in my life
myj

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12147
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby jlv » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:34 am

broland278 wrote:
jlv wrote:That's a mod for phpBB 3.0.x which has been outdated for a while now. Needs to be 3.1.x or 3.2.x to have any chance of working here.


what about this?

https://phpbb-extensions.ga/extensions/ ... endar.html

i dont know much about phpbb but i know a bit about invision power boards

That doesn't look very trustworthy to me.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

Mr. Wiggles
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 pm
Team: MXGH/TGP

Re: Organized Event Organization

Postby Mr. Wiggles » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:36 am

jlv wrote:
broland278 wrote:
jlv wrote:That's a mod for phpBB 3.0.x which has been outdated for a while now. Needs to be 3.1.x or 3.2.x to have any chance of working here.


what about this?

https://phpbb-extensions.ga/extensions/ ... endar.html

i dont know much about phpbb but i know a bit about invision power boards

That doesn't look very trustworthy to me.

it does to me....
PM if you want to play BF4 on the xbone (I'm not good but you can look at my stats)
Score per minute 4% 1,050.937
Image


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests