Page 4 of 4

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am
by Thegoat4
jlv wrote:
Thegoat4 wrote:Does someone know if this is something JLV has talked about in the past to might make it possible ? Or if someone can tell him to have a look at this suggestion ?

Race Tech's dynos for the 2017's did have dynos for a few different mappings depending on the bike. I could add them but I think it'd be a waste of time. You can already choose different curves by using different bikes and everyone just rides the fc450 and 250sx-f.


Yeah everyone rides the FC 450 because it's the fastest, but with engine tuning it might not be faster bikes, they would just be ridden better how you yourself want to ride them, change the powerband depending on the track, a little more slippery track and you might want more power att the bottom instead of reving the bike causing the wheels to spin, and the bike would handle a little different aswell i believe, this just changes the riding style up a bit for us, but if you feel it's a waste of time to have a look at it then it is what it is.

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:24 pm
by TiagoGomesMX
sethiemeboi wrote: congrats, you are now a communist.

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm
by Hi Im Skyqe
jlv wrote:Race Tech's dynos for the 2017's did have dynos for a few different mappings depending on the bike. I could add them but I think it'd be a waste of time. You can already choose different curves by using different bikes and everyone just rides the fc450 and 250sx-f.


If it was a set map yes it would be a waste of time because people would pick the best one and run with it as they do now... Having the ability to adjust the map in low, mid and top would be nice as you can really tailor the bike to your liking.. If you had like I posted earlier in the thread where you have a set value of adjustment that you can allocate to say three area's it could be a nice adjustment to have. Maybe having a set max amount for peak HP so on the highest output dyno you cannot go above (stock) HP but can only decrease peak HP to add low and mid range it would even the playing field and have different dyno's be useful for different riding styles. I know at Glen Helen I would have taken out bottom end as the track was quite slick at lower speeds and added to the mid range for more acceleration on the hills.

Here is the results from Hangtown. In 250's its a mix between KTM and Husqvarna (Why wouldn't it be when they have such a huge advantage in HP comparatively to the Japanese bikes).
Image
With 450's the majority of racers use Husqvarna but there is few Honda's and Yamaha's (Yamaha dyno won the race).
Image

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:48 am
by jlv
The 250sxf and fc250 are almost identical. The different mappings would be around the same difference. So you're probably right that people would use different mappings, but the reason would be because they make no meaningful difference.

If I were to do anything like this, I'd probably make each bike have a "mod" version where the power curve is the maximum of all the bikes in that class for the model year. It wouldn't be for tunability, it'd be to fix the unfortunate situation where every skin and model is for whichever bike is the HP winner for that year.

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:20 am
by Hi Im Skyqe
jlv wrote:The 250sxf and fc250 are almost identical. The different mappings would be around the same difference. So you're probably right that people would use different mappings, but the reason would be because they make no meaningful difference.

If I were to do anything like this, I'd probably make each bike have a "mod" version where the power curve is the maximum of all the bikes in that class for the model year. It wouldn't be for tunability, it'd be to fix the unfortunate situation where every skin and model is for whichever bike is the HP winner for that year.


Makes sense. I guess the only other idea that would be cool is if you could have a map switch with pre-set maps.

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:25 am
by Mr. Wiggles
Who the hell was one the cr125 in the 450 race

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:44 pm
by DougBauer19
This is kind of different to this topic, but wouldnt doing this make it so more people ran different dynos? And maybe even having it so people can put a yamaha skin on a yamaha dyno, or a suzuki skin on a suzuki dyno, and all the other brands? because now everyone just makes different bike brands and puts it on the fastest bike.

Re: Engine Tuning

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 pm
by Mr. Wiggles
DougBauer19 wrote:This is kind of different to this topic, but wouldnt doing this make it so more people ran different dynos? And maybe even having it so people can put a yamaha skin on a yamaha dyno, or a suzuki skin on a suzuki dyno, and all the other brands? because now everyone just makes different bike brands and puts it on the fastest bike.


There a start keeping going with your thoughts