Option to favorite gear/bikes/helmets

Post your suggestions here
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Option to favorite gear/bikes/helmets

Post by jlv »

NoFear345 wrote:Scripting could be something that would allow us to make features with the UI like a favorite option would it not?
Yes. Obviously the scripting system would need to have the functions to implement a UI and I'd have to convert the current UI to use it, but the scripting engine is obvious first step needed. The nice thing is writing that type of code goes way faster in a language like javascript which has automatic memory management vs C where you have to manually allocate and free memory.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Wheels just wanted the timing tower to work. Now he left us. :(
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

jlv wrote: Yes. Obviously the scripting system would need to have the functions to implement a UI and I'd have to convert the current UI to use it, but the scripting engine is obvious first step needed. The nice thing is writing that type of code goes way faster in a language like javascript which has automatic memory management vs C where you have to manually allocate and free memory.
Just curious, will you release documentation alongside scripting? I absolutely hate JS so a record of available functions and what they do would be really nice. I'd love to write a MXS specific utility that allows code to be written in C# that outputs JS. Might make things a little easier/safer at least for me if JS runs as a standalone like it does in the browser.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

LKR47 wrote:
jlv wrote: Yes. Obviously the scripting system would need to have the functions to implement a UI and I'd have to convert the current UI to use it, but the scripting engine is obvious first step needed. The nice thing is writing that type of code goes way faster in a language like javascript which has automatic memory management vs C where you have to manually allocate and free memory.
Just curious, will you release documentation alongside scripting?
Also with this scripting, would there be documentation over everything accessible within the game?
ColtonD719
Team: Privateer

Post by ColtonD719 »

Wahlamt wrote:Also with this scripting, would there be documentation over everything accessible within the game?
A complete MXS manual would be the greatest thing since the track editor.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

barrington314 wrote:Wheels just wanted the timing tower to work. Now he left us. :(
Scripting will definitely be the next thing I... Hey look! A squirrel/online erode!
Wahlamt wrote:Also with this scripting, would there be documentation over everything accessible within the game?
The important stuff will definitely be documented. I'm also sure there will be some things I don't want to expose as public APIs.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Post by AtlasZoor »

jlv wrote:
NoFear345 wrote:Scripting could be something that would allow us to make features with the UI like a favorite option would it not?
Yes. Obviously the scripting system would need to have the functions to implement a UI and I'd have to convert the current UI to use it, but the scripting engine is obvious first step needed. The nice thing is writing that type of code goes way faster in a language like javascript which has automatic memory management vs C where you have to manually allocate and free memory.
So does that mean the new UI idea that lars had could be implemented? http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 31#p766131
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

AtlasZoor wrote:So does that mean the new UI idea that lars had could be implemented? http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 31#p766131
I'd like it to be skinnable. Not sure where I'd draw the line for what can be changed since ideally you wouldn't want to have to redo stuff every time I add a new setting if you made an alternate UI.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

jlv wrote:
AtlasZoor wrote:So does that mean the new UI idea that lars had could be implemented? http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... 31#p766131
I'd like it to be skinnable. Not sure where I'd draw the line for what can be changed since ideally you wouldn't want to have to redo stuff every time I add a new setting if you made an alternate UI.
With scripting, would having a timer on the finish line statue be something that could happen? Like they do irl?
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

808 wrote:With scripting, would having a timer on the finish line statue be something that could happen? Like they do irl?
It could potentially do anything. It's all a matter of what APIs are exposed to the scripts.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com