Lighting and erode.

Post your suggestions here
User avatar
FlyinHigh
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:37 am

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby FlyinHigh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Would there be any way to make erode carry over into the next races? Then we could use some more starter ruts, and they just get a little deeper and rougher as the nights go on which would be more consistent for the riders, rather than guessing and having no idea how its going to form and learning as we go which is what causes so many to crash.
R.I.P. Jantz Grodzicki #96

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby jlv » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 am

I'd be hard to make it automatic since the server barely knows anything about the track. I could possibly do something like let a client save and restore the track. Might be a bit slow sending that much data over UDP though.

It could be done fairly easily if the clients were required to stay connected for the entire time the track is eroding.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7962
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby checkerz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 pm

jlv wrote:For the lighting, I could try some simple ambient self-occlusion when calculating the terrain vertex shading values. I'm in the middle of integrating the scripting engine right now and I'd like to get it wrapped up before I start tearing into anything else though.

Is this lighting update something we would be able to have before outdoors?

Went through a lot of testing/smashing my head into a wall with the kicker stuff in SX to ultimately just have to turn off erode on jumps for SX as the solution we thought we found was the jump shapes were not correct, but even with "correct" jump shapes the issue persisted. Understandable, it's part of development, but I'd like to avoid banging my head against the wall more fighting the lack of visibility of erode for outdoors and heading down the road of using erode for outdoors if it ultimately isn't going to work because you can't see it.

Unlike SX where the tracks were previously smooth, so no erode on the rhythms didn't really matter; it's a huge thing for outdoors, as either we have to build rough tracks or having erode working well and that changes the workload on terrain creation significantly.

I'm happy to continue to help testing and developing the settings side, and we're making progress, but the visual element is a pretty substantial road block right now.

User avatar
SKlein
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:08 pm
Team: Evergood
Location: MN

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby SKlein » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 pm

jlv wrote:I could possibly do something like let a client save and restore the track. Might be a bit slow sending that much data over UDP though.

It could be done fairly easily if the clients were required to stay connected for the entire time the track is eroding.

So if you drop network mid race will the client be able to pull back missed erode data on re-connection to the server, or is the person out of luck?

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12621
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby jlv » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:50 am

checkerz wrote:
jlv wrote:For the lighting, I could try some simple ambient self-occlusion when calculating the terrain vertex shading values. I'm in the middle of integrating the scripting engine right now and I'd like to get it wrapped up before I start tearing into anything else though.

Is this lighting update something we would be able to have before outdoors?

Went through a lot of testing/smashing my head into a wall with the kicker stuff in SX to ultimately just have to turn off erode on jumps for SX as the solution we thought we found was the jump shapes were not correct, but even with "correct" jump shapes the issue persisted. Understandable, it's part of development, but I'd like to avoid banging my head against the wall more fighting the lack of visibility of erode for outdoors and heading down the road of using erode for outdoors if it ultimately isn't going to work because you can't see it.

Unlike SX where the tracks were previously smooth, so no erode on the rhythms didn't really matter; it's a huge thing for outdoors, as either we have to build rough tracks or having erode working well and that changes the workload on terrain creation significantly.

I'm happy to continue to help testing and developing the settings side, and we're making progress, but the visual element is a pretty substantial road block right now.

Probably not in a month for the self-occlusion. For the kicker thing, I was thinking it might help if I projected the force vector to the terrain before removing the Y component. I had ruled out that idea before but now I'm thinking it might actually be better that way. That should be an easy change to make. I just want to wrap up some stuff with the scripting integration first.

SKlein wrote:
jlv wrote:I could possibly do something like let a client save and restore the track. Might be a bit slow sending that much data over UDP though.

It could be done fairly easily if the clients were required to stay connected for the entire time the track is eroding.

So if you drop network mid race will the client be able to pull back missed erode data on re-connection to the server, or is the person out of luck?

They'd be out of luck.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7962
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Lighting and erode.

Postby checkerz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:02 am

jlv wrote:
checkerz wrote:
jlv wrote:For the lighting, I could try some simple ambient self-occlusion when calculating the terrain vertex shading values. I'm in the middle of integrating the scripting engine right now and I'd like to get it wrapped up before I start tearing into anything else though.

Is this lighting update something we would be able to have before outdoors?

Went through a lot of testing/smashing my head into a wall with the kicker stuff in SX to ultimately just have to turn off erode on jumps for SX as the solution we thought we found was the jump shapes were not correct, but even with "correct" jump shapes the issue persisted. Understandable, it's part of development, but I'd like to avoid banging my head against the wall more fighting the lack of visibility of erode for outdoors and heading down the road of using erode for outdoors if it ultimately isn't going to work because you can't see it.

Unlike SX where the tracks were previously smooth, so no erode on the rhythms didn't really matter; it's a huge thing for outdoors, as either we have to build rough tracks or having erode working well and that changes the workload on terrain creation significantly.

I'm happy to continue to help testing and developing the settings side, and we're making progress, but the visual element is a pretty substantial road block right now.

Probably not in a month for the self-occlusion. For the kicker thing, I was thinking it might help if I projected the force vector to the terrain before removing the Y component. I had ruled out that idea before but now I'm thinking it might actually be better that way. That should be an easy change to make. I just want to wrap up some stuff with the scripting integration first.

Not a real rush on the kicker thing as it isn't really an outdoor issue. I mean, cool when it comes I'm excited to test it, but don't over rush that part.

Just going to have to work with decals and lighting we have currently to do the best we can for outdoors, just hard with elevation and shadows and everything to really make this work.


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests