Track Folder Cleanup Utility

Post your suggestions here
Garasaki

Track Folder Cleanup Utility

Post by Garasaki »

I think it'd be nice to have a little application that you ran, just before you saffed a track, that would compare the files used by your tracks (thinking mostly image files, maybe models too, whatever) to the files that are in your folder, and deleted excess files and also alerted you to any files that are referenced, but do not exist in your folder.

It would be very helpful for me, I usually stash all kinds of junk in my folders (just in case I wanna use it!!) then can never remember what all I actually used.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Servatis

Re: Track Folder Cleanup Utility

Post by Servatis »

I might be able to work something out.
right now working on a little project with ddmx, also has to do something with track creation (cant tell you much since a: i dont know much about creating tracks and b: don't know how far ddmx want's to go :)).
anyway I would think this would make a good addition to that.

if I do end up creating something though it won't be anywhere in the next few weeks.

so if someone else has a better idea, go ahead :)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

as servatis said, right now we're working on a project that takes your object's jm name, png name, and shp name, and randomly places it across a specified area at an interval with an object count. It can also place more than one object at that coordinate, making it nice for the trees i've sent you saki. I'd like to expand it to random billboard placement as well, and it would be nice for me to learn enough so that i can work further on it. i'd like for it eventually to be an easy way to edit all the track files.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Heck, I'd like to see the billboard placement first.
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

DJ wrote:Heck, I'd like to see the billboard placement first.
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

So it would randomly place objects on your track? That would be good for trees, I think mcm2 had an option for a map that allowed you to "paint" the probability of where a tree would be on your track (black and white).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Yeah, itd be sick if you could draw a black and white image, with black representing no objects, and white representing a preset density of objects. Then a standalone program, or even the game, converted the image to placing objects randomly with a density defined by the map.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Found the process that was used to do it in MCM2: http://www.twisteddirt.com/TutorialStuff/placement.html
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

importing a black and white image to represent where the trees should be placed is an amazing idea. never thought of that. even an entire grayscale image to represent density as well. you could pick the min spacing at white, and black would be max spacing, then tapered in between. i'll talk to servatis and see what his knowledge can do with it.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Sounds good, I forgot about the placement maps in MCM2 until I saw this.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

ddmx wrote:importing a black and white image to represent where the trees should be placed is an amazing idea. never thought of that. even an entire grayscale image to represent density as well. you could pick the min spacing at white, and black would be max spacing, then tapered in between. i'll talk to servatis and see what his knowledge can do with it.
well it's definitely beyond anything I have done before. I really wouldn't know where to start to be honest :).

I'm sure after some research i could figure something out but it would take me quite a bit of time to get it right i think.

to finish the entire application ddmx an I talked about it wouldn't be done for a couple of months at the least, since i got a lot of stuff to do for school also.
we could release the app in parts, so once one component is done we could release it and then over time add components to the app.

but before that, i just remembered. I thought i heard jlv talking about a standalone track editor a while ago, you guys know more about that? would be a bit of a waste to start working on something that will be done by jlv too, somewhere in the future.
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Just bumpin this idea up again. Could come in handy in the near future.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

For the supercross tracks I used a shell script to do that. Only useful for Linux geeks though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.