Allow On-the-fly Adjustments in Single Player

Post your suggestions here
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Allow On-the-fly Adjustments in Single Player

Post by tyskorn »

I practically only play in single player nowadays, and I really miss being able to make adjustments just by pressing pause at any time and going into the menu. It would be rad if I we could do it like old times in single player and keep the lockout online so that Leclair doesn't get them holeshots.
Craig

Re: Allow On-the-fly Adjustments in Single Player

Post by Craig »

TYSKORN NUMBA 1
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I do have the setup change spam now, so maybe the mechanic can't keep up thing isn't necessary anymore since the setup changes are visible in the demo. Can anyone think of a good reason to keep it?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

Main point of having it is so you cant have a setup for holeshots and switch to a setup for racing the first few laps then change to a late race setting for deep erode.
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

Craig wrote:TYSKORN NUMBA 1
Miss u Craig
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

jlv wrote:Can anyone think of a good reason to keep it?
Personally, I think it looks cheesy when the leader pulls over mid race to change setups on stream. Looks extremely unrealistic and unprofessional.

Wouldn't be such an issue pre erode, but since tracks start completely flat now, its a huge advantage to have a holeshot setup that just tracks. Speaking outdoors at least.

I get theirs a message in chat when the person changes setup, but since rF doesn't have a rule behind it, it serves no purpose. Granted rules can be added/changed, you are the governor behind this certain tactic right now.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Jeremy150 wrote:Main point of having it is so you cant have a setup for holeshots and switch to a setup for racing the first few laps then change to a late race setting for deep erode.
Yep. That is a huge can of worms that opens up if you emit that setting. Holeshot setup/whoop setup/smooth track setup/rough track setup. You shouldn't be able to toggle these via hot keys while racing. Huge advantage, very unrealistic, takes away from racing. I don't see any positive gains other than saving 2 seconds to come to a stop in single player to apply setup change.

I like how it is now, where if you want to change your setup mid race, you have to sacrifice time by pulling over and making the change. It takes away a a huge aspect of racing if you can just create custom suspension for every aspect of the track.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

aeffertz wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote:Main point of having it is so you cant have a setup for holeshots and switch to a setup for racing the first few laps then change to a late race setting for deep erode.
Yep. That is a huge can of worms that opens up if you emit that setting. Holeshot setup/whoop setup/smooth track setup/rough track setup. You shouldn't be able to toggle these via hot keys while racing. Huge advantage, very unrealistic, takes away from racing. I don't see any positive gains other than saving 2 seconds to come to a stop in single player to apply setup change.

I like how it is now, where if you want to change your setup mid race, you have to sacrifice time by pulling over and making the change. It takes away a a huge aspect of racing if you can just create custom suspension for every aspect of the track.
I thought rF had a rule against changing setups mid-race. That's why I put in the setup change spam in the first place.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:I thought rF had a rule against changing setups mid-race. That's why I put in the setup change spam in the first place.
Not that I'm aware of, at least there is nothing in the rule book against it. Why did you originally implement the 'must be standing still to apply setup' change? That's what stopped most people from hot keying setup changes midrace. It was only recently that people started making smooth track/rough track setups that they pull over to switch to because stopping for 5 seconds was worth the time to switch to a better suspension setting.

The setup change chat spam doesn't serve any purpose other than to let the current racers know someone changed their setup.

Allowing the server to not apply setup changes until restart would be a better option than allowing hotkey set up changes.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

aeffertz wrote:
jlv wrote:I thought rF had a rule against changing setups mid-race. That's why I put in the setup change spam in the first place.
Not that I'm aware of, at least there is nothing in the rule book against it. Why did you originally implement the 'must be standing still to apply setup' change? That's what stopped most people from hot keying setup changes midrace. It was only recently that people started making smooth track/rough track setups that they pull over to switch to because stopping for 5 seconds was worth the time to switch to a better suspension setting.

The setup change chat spam doesn't serve any purpose other than to let the current racers know someone changed their setup.

Allowing the server to not apply setup changes until restart would be a better option than allowing hotkey set up changes.
They were both added due to a certain crafty Frenchman. The complete stop to change setups thing was the first try, but then he started making the changes after crashes or sometimes just stopping to make them. So the setup reporting was added.

Here's where we were talking about it last year. I guess there never was an official ruling on it by rF.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:They were both added due to a certain crafty Frenchman. The complete stop to change setups thing was the first try, but then he started making the changes after crashes or sometimes just stopping to make them. So the setup reporting was added.

Here's where we were talking about it last year. I guess there never was an official ruling on it by rF.

Yeah, I guess that's why I've always been confused as to why the spam chat feature was added since it isn't against the rules to change setups mid race and it only seemed to serve as a nuisance. I believe Atom is more against the idea allowing midrace setup changes flat out, not so much the fact that it looks corny when someone does it. It would be way worse if you went back to allowing mobile setup changes, IMO.

The rules as of now allows setup changes as the game allows them, so that's why it's ultimately on you to decide how they are implemented.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

aeffertz wrote:The rules as of now allows setup changes as the game allows them, so that's why it's ultimately on you to decide how they are implemented.
Since the game now broadcasts setup changes it's really up to whoever is organizing a particular race. I have no desire to force rules on people. If rF wants to allow that that's their decision to make.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:
aeffertz wrote:The rules as of now allows setup changes as the game allows them, so that's why it's ultimately on you to decide how they are implemented.
Since the game now broadcasts setup changes it's really up to whoever is organizing a particular race. I have no desire to force rules on people. If rF wants to allow that that's their decision to make.
Fair enough, I guess I was just answering the "Can anyone think of a good reason to keep it?" question. As of now the rule is based around what the game allows. If the current limitation of being still to make setup changes is lifted, I would assume the powers that be would then make a rule about setup changes and have to watch demos of qualifying/race to verify if anyone changed setups throughout. Again, seems like it creates more problems.

Maybe I'm just not understanding how big of a nuisance it is to come to stop to apply your setup change or why it's so critical to having it able to be done while on the move other than to create unrealistic setups to make the game easier and laptimes faster.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I agree it's not a big deal either way. I'll take the lazy way out and not do anything.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Single Player only would be cool though
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like