SKINS LIKE LFS DOES IT!

Post your suggestions here
PINNEDTOWIN
Team: Start Your Systems

SKINS LIKE LFS DOES IT!

Post by PINNEDTOWIN »

Ok, so i am not sure how difficult of a task this would be or if it is even possible for MXS but i think the way skins are put into this game is extremely tedious and could use some attention. Live for Speed is a car racing game that uses a sever to load all user created skins for the game and when joining a room you automatically download the skins being used by everyone currently in the room. So, say you create a skin for yourself and you want everyone to see you in-game you simply upload the skin to the server. I know i am being very vague about how this works but if at all possible i think this would be a great improvement! Also, as for people who struggle with lag there could be an option to not DL any skins when joining?

I think this would also greatly improve the security of private skins. Finally, a way to make and use a skin that everyone can see without having to give a download link in a thread that ANYONE can DL.

Please consider this JLV!
Blitz
Team: Privateer

Re: SKINS LIKE LFS DOES IT!

Post by Blitz »

Hey Zack, long time no speak man. Great idea.

Now get on msn brother.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

it's not a bad idea, but there are several things that make this hard to do.

for starters you would need a big server if all skins would have to be uploaded to it, that includes models, skins, and maybe even track objects etc.
second you would have to download a lot of mb's if you wanted to join a server in which people are playing with skins you don't have (which happens a lot to me).
also if it's a skin pack, you would have to download the entire pack just because one person is using one of it's skins.

and what about people that join after you? you are already in the server and someone joines the server, you will not be able to see his skin unless you reconnect.
Or how about championships, you have to join before a given time but because you had to download 50 mb's you were to late.

It would definitely have it's upsides though and if it's implemented with an option to turn automatic download off I'm all for it.

I'm sure jlv had this on his mind at one point or another and the reasons it isn't implemented "yet" are probably pretty good :)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

what about the people that are ALWAYS making some stupid skins :| you have to download every skin people make :? it is a good idea. but it has it downsides :?
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

I think the first thing that should be automatically downloaded from jlv's servers is snapshots.
right now everyone is playing with all kinds of snapshots, and the latest 7-7 really makes a difference with lappers, so it should definately be mandatory that you have the latest ss.
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
PINNEDTOWIN

Post by PINNEDTOWIN »

Ok for the server size i am not sure what it would require but for the joining problem maybe you could be DLing everything while in warm-up mode. If you are worried about bad skins there could be a limit put on the amount of skins allowed to upload to the server from a single person. Then the limit could be lifted off of any creator who asks JLV for an extension with a good reason. Also for the models, the server could be setup to only accept skins for currently used models and any new models could be added once released. I know this would be a large project but I really think that this would be a big improvement to MXS.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I'm going to something along those lines, but it definitely won't download while you're connected to the server. It will remember what you were missing and then download after you disconnect.
Red619

Post by Red619 »

that sounds super sweet.
22sheza

Post by 22sheza »

jlv wrote:I'm going to something along those lines, but it definitely won't download while you're connected to the server. It will remember what you were missing and then download after you disconnect.
yeh thats sounds good :D
JP37R
Team: JPR

Post by JP37R »

22sheza wrote:
jlv wrote:I'm going to something along those lines, but it definitely won't download while you're connected to the server. It will remember what you were missing and then download after you disconnect.
yeh thats sounds good :D
x2 that would be awesome!

Now, if you did this, would that mean you would host these files on your server? would be nice to just have everything in one place instead of having to search through old forum posts to locate links to downloads.
PINNEDTOWIN

Post by PINNEDTOWIN »

Sounds awesome JLV! I think what servatis said is also a good idea there should be a requirment of having the latest snapshot in order to connect. Look forward to seeing what you come up with JLV