steering

Post your suggestions here
mxdude891

steering

Post by mxdude891 »

i know i have said this before but can you please make it to where you turn left the riders turns left. not turn left, the rider turns right? i have slid out countless times because of this system
ShackAttack12

Re: steering

Post by ShackAttack12 »

mxdude891 wrote:i know i have said this before but can you please make it to where you turn left the riders turns left. not turn left, the rider turns right? i have slid out countless times because of this system
In bike setup, you can change "reversed steering" to "NO", and the bars will turn the direction you intend.

Let me warn you though, you probably will not make it more than a couple of feet. In real life on any motorcycle, after you exceed the speed where momentum is keeping you upright, you are actually countersteering to turn the bike.... which means you are actually turning slightly left to lean the bike right and turn right. At low speeds where steering keeps you upright, you are steering normally.... IE, right to go right.

This isn't an arcade game like the MX vs ATV games. In MXS you are actually controlling the handlebars.... in Mx Vs ATV, you are controller the rider+bike on a turn table with doctored (fake) turning physics.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
mxdude891

Post by mxdude891 »

yes i understand that but really when you go into a turn do you think to yourself, left turn coming up got to turn right to go left, no you think turn left to go left. counter steering only works if you have your body straight cus the streering off sets your balance to where you turn the opposite way. but in motocross we lean into to turn which is why we turn left to go left and right to go right.
dearnhardtfan7
Team: Privateer

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

you don't realize it but you do self-consciously turn the bars left slightly to initiate a right side lean. I'm getting the feeling you may be using the reversed steering option wrong. I don't remember off hand which setting is the right one, but to check, when you are sitting on the gate try to turn the bars left and they will turn right on the bike in game. Then once you get up to speed you will turn the bars left and the rider will lean left. If its not working like this, change the option and then try it again. The reversed steering option would allow a left handed person to use the keyboard more efficiently. Whichever way/hand you are using, make sure when you try to turn left while standing still the bars turn right. If not you need to change the option.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463
JP37R
Team: JPR

Post by JP37R »

You wont even think about it after a while (just like on your real bike) just keep at it.
JETZcorp
Team: Privateer

Post by JETZcorp »

With my joystick, I've come to love the system as it is. Imagine that instead of using the stick to control which way the bike leans, you are using it to control where the wheels touch the ground (because that's exactly what you're doing). When you want to lean the rider left for a left turn, that means that the bottom of the bike, including the tires, has to swing right. Kind of the way if one person goes down on a teeter-totter the other person's going up, right? Alternatively, you can think of it as a pushing action/reaction. Like, when you push on a wall that's to your right, your body reacts by leaning left. When you push the stick to the right, the bike leans left (as we know) so maybe use that analogy to keep it straight. It's hard to explain, really, and you're going to be doing this all subconsciously, but just come up with some way of thinking that makes sense to you. Or, use the reverse thing.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

Hey jlv, I think I've got an idea about the slow speed steering issue.

When I set the "Direct steering" to 0.88 or 0.75 from advanced stability settings, it's really easy to ride the bike in slow speeds but it messes up the steering in anything faster than walking speeds. How about adding into the advanced settings an adjustable speed limit that sets the direct steering to 1 when the bike goes faster than that?
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I've been planning on boosting the leveling setting at slow speeds but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.