Server setting for disabling stabilizer (front end lock)

Post your suggestions here
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Server setting for disabling stabilizer (front end lock)

Post by motokid499 »

Apologies in advance jlv, I know the stabilizer being disabled has been discussed before and I know you have good reason for keeping it. What i'm hoping for is a server option that allows race hosts to customize the duration and amount of stability lost during front end contact. Or even just an "on/off" option for server owners to start.

We can all agree that the stabilizer being disabled from front end contact is a great feature for public racing as it prevent people from t-boning other people if they don't want to risk a fall off themselves. It makes people think twice in public lobbies and keeps racing clean. However, we've all seen this video and I think from a competitive standpoint it would allow racing to be a lot closer and more entertaining to watch.

I can't speak for all, but for me competitive racing is simply a game of follow the leader and crash less than the people in front of you. Myself and many others are not willing to risk making passes because 9/10 times it ends with both people on the ground. Having closer racing with more contact and more passing would both make the streams more entertaining to watch and the racing more fun IMO. Being able to send it down the inside of someone and not risk ruining both your nights (sorry Parks :oops: ) is something I've only dreamed of in competitive racing.

If you're willing, i'd love to see a server option where we can at least turn it on/off. I'm positive rF would experiment with running it off and racing could benefit from it.
Tanner Rogers
csibike

Re: Server setting for disabling stabilizer (front end lock)

Post by csibike »

+1
moto114
Team: Privateer

Post by moto114 »

+1
Moto174

Post by Moto174 »

+1
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

motokid499 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:22 pm from a competitive standpoint it would allow racing to be a lot closer and more entertaining to watch.
Don't see it happening because everyone would only want to play with it disabled, which would go against the agenda, but I agree with this.
AHeckman2
Team: Heckman Productions

Post by AHeckman2 »

If I’m being honest, I never notice front wheel lock whenever I hit someone, I only notice it when I barely nudge their rear wheel on accident, and then I just instantly die. It’s probably the most annoying thing in the game and is why I always stay further away from the people in front of me than I really need to
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

AHeckman2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:33 pm and is why I always stay further away from the people in front of me than I really need to
which is exactly why it promotes a follow the leader type of racing
Tanner Rogers
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

I feel like there at least should be some sort of minor punishment for going for takeouts. I do agree making passes stick in this game can be kind of difficult due to the fact that zero contact can be made at all without some rng saving one or both riders from crashing. I disagree that it should be disabled completely due to the fact that in the video provided, somebody would definitely be crashing irl from that much contact.

It's a balancing act to find what's considered fair. Right now it's kind of bs sometimes because I will hit someone and be off the gas and totally fine, but as soon as I give it any throttle whatsoever my bars hook hard left or right and I'm on the ground. Prime example of this is 2021 Indianapolis III in the 250 main event on Lap 1. Rasmus hits me and I get squeezed between him and Casey. I get stood upright and am fine as I'm off the gas. As soon as I gave it any throttle I was on the ground thinking about it for 10 seconds.

I'm also not sure how that would work with being a server setting. I guess it's possible by having the server send your game a message that tells the client to change some hidden setting in your stability but that doesn't seem like the easiest task to accomplish. And if it was implemented I doubt it would be an on/off switch, it would probably be something more customizable. Example: setting that sets how long stability loss happens for after contact (in ms or seconds). Or something that would tell the game by how much to loosen the stability (idk what the actual setting is but you probably get the idea)
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

[flash=]https://i.gyazo.com/fc898c9afd974ad828b ... b38cd3.gif[/flash]

This is a perfect example of how damaging the front end lock is in racing. I have to slam on my brakes to avoid leclair or I wouldve died for sure from tapping his rear wheel. This causes tburns to almost hit me as well.

He proceeds to snipe my front wheel in the next corner. Can't really blame him though, as the front end lock promotes people to target front wheels for easy passes/takeouts.

Race ruined because the current system just promotes dirty racing.
Tanner Rogers
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

DP I cant post gifs apparently

Tanner Rogers
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You don't think you should have needed to brake there?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

The punishment for making contact with another rider should just be reduced across the board. The amount of times somebody has gone up my inside in a bowl turn, we make slight contact, and I go literally soaring across the map because the game stands my rider up while I'm 3rd wide and I just launch off the burm is a little silly. Even when you get from behind, the game just changes your trajectory for no reason sometimes, it happened in san diego where A rider literally got launched left off the SX triple into head on traffic going over the finish line and caused a crash.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

jlv wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:47 am You don't think you should have needed to brake there?
In my first person pov I had no idea he was even on my inside.

Heres a gif of you getting melted by someone in 2009

You don't think you should have needed to brake there?
Tanner Rogers
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

Just realized you must be talking about braking to avoid leclair after whoops. Yeah, irl you'd probably have to slam brakes there ill give you that.

In a game where a falloff can make or break a race, and the fact that we have more falloffs in one pro race than ama does during an entire season, I think we should be prioritizing making the riders more durable either way. Irl they dont have input lag, they dont have ping descrepency, its just not the same.
Tanner Rogers
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

In the clip you posted of me, do you really think I should have stayed up and the other rider went down? It just shows how bad it was. The rider whose front wheel was swept stayed up and the other rider went down. The stabilizer was too quick/strong and made racing moves work backwards. It was a rough move but he had a wheel on me and should have had the advantage.

This thread basically boils down to "I don't want to have to have a wheel on someone to make the pass". I get that it's frustrating when you're faster than someone but not quite fast enough to get a wheel on them, but that's racing!
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.