Context-sensitive reverse steering

Post your suggestions here
Nikhil

Context-sensitive reverse steering

Post by Nikhil »

I get the reasoning behind the whole counter-steering system and reverse-steering option. But at low speeds, counter steering does not apply, right? You simply turn the bars in the direction you want to go, which is why left/right is backwards when going slowly (unless you've unchecked reverse-steer). This isn't exactly realistic though, because in real life you never actually think about turning in the opposite direction. So why not have reverse-steering be context sensitive? When at low speeds where steering would be backwards, have the left analogue stick control bar turn rather than lean. At the regular speeds, keep the left stick controlling lean like it currently does.

Anyone else like this, or am I just retarded lol?
Joe
Team: MXSP

Re: Context-sensitive reverse steering

Post by Joe »

I think everyone is so used to the way things are now if it changed it would mess us all up and we would probably want it changed back the the way it used to be
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

Joe Sawler wrote:I think everyone is so used to the way things are now if it changed it would mess us all up and we would probably want it changed back the the way it used to be
Sure, but why not have an option for it in the menu? Under the reverse steering category, there could be yes/no/context sensitive.

That way, everyone can choose how they want to play.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yeah well im pretty sure this is 80% of the problem what when people first play this game they fail until they get used to it...
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

Mikey wrote:Yeah well im pretty sure this is 80% of the problem what when people first play this game they fail until they get used to it...
I mean, I'm pretty new but I've gotten used to turning the opposite direction at low speeds. It still feels wrong though. Even if you get used to it, that doesn't make it more realistic IMO.
Ashes
Team: Privateer #65

Post by Ashes »

You cannot evolve a game with only the current players in mind.
I agree - something needs to be done about the reverse steering system.
I too have gotten used to it, but that's not the point now really, is it!
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Is there any advantage to running reversed steering? I turned it off right when I bought the game.
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Is there any advantage to running reversed steering? I turned it off right when I bought the game.
are you saying that you actually turn left to go right? :shock:
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

I don't feel like I do. I steer just like I would on MX vs ATV or any other game. I just don't have to steer as hard as MX vs ATV. When I run with reversed steering I have to turn left to go right.
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

Ashes wrote:You cannot evolve a game with only the current players in mind.
I agree - something needs to be done about the reverse steering system.
I too have gotten used to it, but that's not the point now really, is it!
Yeah, exactly. Having the option be context-sensitive would preserve the current physics, while making the controls more intuitive.
Nikhil

Post by Nikhil »

jlv, what do you think of this?
gordy
Team: Privateer

Post by gordy »

but how is the game supposed to know what you are attempting to do?
if you just had it set so it reversed at an arbitary speed it think youd find that it would reverse whilst taking slow inside lines etc. causing your front end to wash out.
instupitious.
jbob23
Team: Privateer

Post by jbob23 »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Is there any advantage to running reversed steering? I turned it off right when I bought the game.
are you positive you have it turned off? its so hard to play when you have it off bc i messed with it once also. ... it was impossible lol.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:I don't feel like I do. I steer just like I would on MX vs ATV or any other game. I just don't have to steer as hard as MX vs ATV. When I run with reversed steering I have to turn left to go right.
no, i''m pretty sure you have it on then.

when reverse steering is ON you have to move the analog stick to the left (or press whatever key you use) to lean left.
when reverse steering is OFF you move the stick to the right to lean left.

try to whip. you will see that you actually steer left when you move your stick to the right and vice versa when reverse steering is on.

the direction the bike leans is opposite to the way the bars turn.

anyway there is no possible way for the game to magically know when the perfect situation is for what kind of steering. it would require major changes to the game.
a predetermined speed would not be ideal either because sometimes even at low speeds you want to counter steer.

I really dont see the problem, i got used to it and I'm able to ride fine, any adjustment would just make it strange unless jlv is willing to spend tons of time improving this little thing. there are things that need improvement that are more important.
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Flipping the steering at a specific speed will never work. It won't do what you expect at all. What you really want is more leveling at low speed, which I do intend to do.

BTW, I play with reverse steering off (left turns the bars left). Just feels more like a real bike that way to me. Since you can bind the controls backwards, the reverse steering option is redundant now. So the reverse steering setting could be normal steering if you have the controls bound the other way.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.