Disable shifting while foot out

Post your suggestions here
MX196
Team: Privateer

Re: Disable shifting while foot out

Post by MX196 »

I shift when my foot is out sometimes. :P But not often.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

ddmx wrote:As the name implies, the ability to upshift or downshift while his foot is off the peg, should be disabled both auto and manual. as with the rear brake as well. also, if it were possible to, as soon as a shift was made, momentarily cut the throttle out, that would be cool. ideally though if we had to use clutch to upshift that would be nice.
I think the foot off the peg needs to be renovated before we disable shifting while the foot is off. Currently you need to be going so slow to have the foot off that it is a mute point. Once we get to where the foot will be off at higher speeds (sweepers and what not) then disabling it would be cool. JMO
MiNi

Post by MiNi »

This could backfire very easily if someone knows how to go through a corner without dabbing and without leaning over.

As for "speed shifting", most of you don't seem to understand it. Speed shifting is when you slip in the clutch for half a second to shift and then popping it. This way it is easier on the engine and faster.
Phathry25 wrote:Don't try to apply logic to anything mini says. That's where you went wrong.
KTM57 wrote:Total keyboard warrior.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

No that's not what I mean I don't touch the clutch at all I just let off the gas (not all the way) for a split second then shift that's the whole point of speed shifting is to shift with out cutting the power to the back wheel
kwic73

Post by kwic73 »

TimFerry15 wrote:It tears up your engine from what i've heard...
Wrong, Gears are a helical cut so the they mesh together easily, there is no need for clutch when up and down shifting.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Full power clutchless shifting will eventually round off the dog clutches in the transmission. Once they're rounded off the bike will pop out of gear under power. It must take a long time though, since a lot of people shift that way with no problems. It won't hurt the teeth on the gears since the transmission is constant mesh.

I'm not sure about disabling shifting / rear brakes when your foot is off. I expect it will generate a lot of complaints.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

i think it would be could to "test "

but i always "speed shift " as long as you let off the throttle for a moment when you do it it does not hurt the tranny to much. Youd hurt yourself more with lack of maintence and oil changing which id advisor to change oil often if you do not use the clutch. Im not to familiar with 250fs but on 450s ive never had any major problems, i only really grab the clutch when im putting around slow in corners, i just lug it around in a 1st or 2nd with a steady throttle.

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
peters146

Post by peters146 »

i rarely ever use my clutch when shifting , except when the rear wheel is locked up of course. idk about four strokes but on my two strokes i usually let off the throttle just a little, but in spots on the track like whoops or really rough sections that might as well be a sectin of whoops i will shift without letting off at all, and have never had a problem, except the occasional missed gear
JETZcorp

Post by JETZcorp »

The whole point of using the clutch when shifting is to take pressure off the gear dogs, which is generated by the engine. When you pull in the clutch, the engine's power is taken off the dogs, reducing their friction with each other, and allowing them to separate and slide into the next gear. If too much power is put into the transmission, and you try and shift it, you'll need to put more force on the gears in order to make the shift, which puts wear on the gear dogs and potentially damage your shifting mechanism, namely the shifting forks. But as long as you get the power off the transmission, the bike will shift easily and without damage or wear. Momentarily letting off the throttle will relieve the pressure, as will slapping the clutch with the throttle open. I prefer the former method, because my uncle always used the "clutch with power" method, and now his clutch is dead. And that's only a 29 year-old clutch! The identical unit on my dad's big Husky is 31 years old, and partially thanks to the clutchless shifting method, it's still flawless. Also, because of the way the shifting thing works, you can literally hold your foot against the shifter with a constant force, and shift with the throttle, almost like what you do when you want to tell an automatic transmission when to shift.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

what about, ur rider grabbing the cluth when you engage it? that'd be cool. and the front break
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I know this topic isn't about this, but I shift without the clutch, but I DO let the throttle off some. I shift my truck without my clutch a lot too for fun. If you know what RPM's to be at (or just know the sound like I do since I have no tach on my truck), you can do it smooth as butter. Downshifting is tricky tho, but also doable. To me power shifting, at least in my truck, is full throttle hitting the clutch and shifting simultaneously, and never letting off the throttle. Haven't done it on my bike, but it is QUICK in my truck...

As far as the shifting thing, I think that would be a great idea if we chose when the rider sticks his foot out. I understand it's at a certain speed and what not, but sometimes I want his leg to stick out for a SS and I have to work to get it out there. It would get annoying not being able to shift or hit the rear brake when we don't even want his leg to be out there! lol
JETZcorp

Post by JETZcorp »

I agree. This is a great feature to have, but because it's dependent on something that still seems a little sketchy to me, we should get the leg-out function fine-tuned before we implement the shifting thing. It would encourage more realistic shifting strategy in the game, instead of just clicking through gears willy-nilly in the middle of a big high-g turn. You'd have to actually think about when to shift, and know for certain what gear to be in by the time you commit to putting the foot out and taking the turn. Or, you could take the Ake Jonsson approach and just keep your feet glued to the pegs the whole time. It'd be yet another way to express your riding style.
Give me more power.
Give me more handling.
Give me more style.
Give me more Maico.
Hallmx472
Team: Rock River

Post by Hallmx472 »

speedshifting is most commonly called Power shifting, upshifting wont hurt your tranny if you dont use a clutch or cut the throttle because the gears catch smoothly, Downshifting without the clutch however can tear up the transmission. (Learned during 2 years of Motorcycle certification school). But those features would be cool to see in the game sometime in the future for sure!
-MXSON 2010 Qualifier
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

It would be kinda of annoying if you ask me. Trying to shift but you can't because the foot is off, then having another button to not have the foot come off, a lot of raging would come from it (not to mention new people would get even more raged). It's a good idea but I don't think it would end up well in game.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.