Automatic skin downloader.

Post your suggestions here
scheeve3

Automatic skin downloader.

Post by scheeve3 »

Would it be possibe to have an automatic skin/models downloader?
So when you join the server and there is someone riding with a skin that you don't have, that the game downloads it automaticly.

In Trackmania nations forever is it like that, but there you have to leave the skins in the .rar or .zip file to have a smooth laggless download.

It would be handy also to have a kind of mute button. Just in case if little childs start to make dinosaurs for the game and you can't see the track anymore.
Then you can mute his skin and do you see a stock skin.

Do you understand it? Becouse my technical english ain't that good :lol:.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Automatic skin downloader.

Post by jlv »

I've been planning on it but still haven't gotten around to it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
totorox

Post by totorox »

jlv wrote:I've been planning on it but still haven't gotten around to it.
Good news.
So the track/models makers will have to include a permanent download link with their content ?
Or a centralization of content is planned ?
I vote for both and i have an idea, i'm making another suggestion post for that:)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The general plan was to have the game remember what files it couldn't find, and then when you exit the game it would go to a web page that looks up the missing files and gives you links to what you need. I haven't really thought about whether I'd allow external links.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
totorox

General plan, dreams and nightmares...

Post by totorox »

jlv wrote:The general plan....(from Automatic skin downloader. topic)
Some others weird requests : :oops:
1. Hi Josh, can I ask you if we can look at your general plan somewhere ? What can we hope for MXS tomorrow and later ? Because I already said that, for a lot of us, it's a dream becoming true... It's one of my recurring dreams and hope it will never end. But only you, have knowledge, from your position at this moment, to see what could be the MXS future. Let the utopia guid your acts and let us dream forever ^^

2. Open-source or team growing :
I already said how I'm frightened thinking for a day when MXS ending for any imaginary reasons, maybe economic crash, maybe death, war, or simply when you want to do another project ? (It's when I'm sleeping bad ;p).
Looking the suggestion forum, I think the job is too big, even for you. And if i totally agree you deserve the rewards for what you're doing, using a lot of open source community, OpenGL, EDO, POV, etc, contents, couldn't you think about opening some parts or your 'sole proprietary' job for the better interest, including yours, mxs users community (and for all the 'humanity' evolution if I may ). Can't you stay the project 'sole proprietary' while letting people helping partially ? Helping those who want to help to learn and let them trying to help, I'm thinking about some easier parts like, interface, editor, or what you can't make for any reason.

3. Economic way :
Just another point, when you said this is a 'niche' market, i'm not really agree with you because if Micro$oft made MotocrossMadness two times, etc, it was because there's a potential market, and M$ team was not a one men corporation... or maybe you plan to be billionaire too a day ? I saw myself when playing with buddies in LAN sessions MX games are very funny games for everybody, and i was the only one MX practicer. There's a real challenge in your game, and I thing you should not underestimate some aspect of the game, like, game-play, ergonomic, advanced simulation possibility, economic way... Maybe the challenge is a little harder for basic users and transition between arcade and simulation deserve a better transition keeping the challenge.
totorox

Post by totorox »

jlv wrote:The general plan was to have the game remember what files it couldn't find, and then when you exit the game it would go to a web page that looks up the missing files and gives you links to what you need. I haven't really thought about whether I'd allow external links.
Need dependencies management yep. We may also win some weight in MXS folders but avoiding duplicates.
I'm thinking about an 'exporter' to help track makers by :
- generating reports of used datas, including external dependencies report
- auto-generating some usefull datas (compatibility purposes, performances, features used, color management between creator/users)
- form for asking missing datas without having to search forums for tutorials and each snapshots addendums.
- assemble datas and generate clean output folder without missing datas, or supplemental datas (unused working files)
- may include a packer, encrypt option as output too...

but the best i can do for now is to share ideas, I'm not a coder :cry:
dudy#75
Team: Privateer

Post by dudy#75 »

I think it will be better when the skins are saved on the server and we have not to download it :)
totorox

Post by totorox »

dudy#75 wrote:I think it will be better when the skins are saved on the server and we have not to download it :)
But it's not possible. Anyway game have to DL them to show them.