Numbers assigned to individual skins

Post your suggestions here
KTM57

Numbers assigned to individual skins

Post by KTM57 »

I'm sure that this isn't exactly a new idea, but wanted to throw it out there for discussion because I would greatly appreciate something like this.

I think that we (skinners) should be able to assign a numbers.png to each skin we make. We have it for norm and spec maps, so I really don't know how hard it would be to do.

For example, I'm working on a Rock River Powersports Yamaha skin. The graphics are made by RoostMX, which is a company with very distinct number fonts. I'm also going to include white and black background versions. If I do this, the numbers will be either black or white, which won't work for both color backgrounds in the case of online racing. They will also look out of place with the skin design. It would be nice to be able to have number skins for each bike (or rider) skin.

They could be named just like the maps. For example:

bike skin: yz250f-2010f2-Rock River Powersports bb
norm: yz250f-2010f2-Rock River Powersports bb_norm
spec: yz250f-2010f2-Rock River Powersports bb_spec
numbers: yz250f-2010f2-Rock River Powersports bb_numbers
numbers_condensed: yz250f-2010f2-Rock River Powersports bb_numberscondensed

Sorry for my rant, but I felt this just needed to get out here so we can solve the ever-apparent number color problem.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
d1abl019
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Re: Numbers assigned to individual skins

Post by d1abl019 »

lol i was thinking about posting something about this exact same thing... although one dilemma would be that you would have to have all the numbers.png files....
and i would think that it would be easier to make it like the bike sounds and have a .txt file with the numbers.png file like the pipe sound... then put them in a saf or something...
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Total waste of texture memory
d1abl019
Crushed Dissenter

Post by d1abl019 »

actually no it's not, worst case scenario it should be a black/white number file.... because some people use white backgrounds..... with white numbers just looks bad, especially with big series races so it looks more realistic in the replay instead of everyone having the same numbers..
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

OK. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Lets imagine a 20 person race. Lets imagine each rider had a different bike and clothing combination, so there are 40 skins altogether that will use a different number image. If each number image uses a specular and normal map, that will make 120 new images that have to be loaded.
d1abl019
Crushed Dissenter

Post by d1abl019 »

Okay, DJ i understand what you are saying, and first of all, I'm not looking for a fight or argument, what i was trying to say was that instead of the original post maybe just a black and white file for ONE set of numbers... so that the people with white backgrounds have black numbers and vice versa...
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

DJ, thanks for clearing this up. I was wondering why something like this hadn't happened before.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.