Throttle curve.

Post your suggestions here
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Throttle curve.

Post by Phathry25 »

This reminded me of something...
yzmxer608 wrote:It's a lot harder to use the bike with barely any gas though, even half throttle on a trigger hardly has much power.
iRacing wrote:Finally, throttle pedal shaping allows the driver to select the type of engine performance as he/she rolls into the throttle pedal coming off a corner. Setting 1 maps the throttle-to-engine torque just like a typical engine that uses a butterfly throttle plate. Setting 4 uses a direct throttle position to engine torque output relationship. The two settings in between blend the butterfly model and the direct linear torque model together. This setting is completely dependent on driver preference. At race tracks with low grip and slow speeds, where exit performance is critical for fast lap times, you may want to use the more conventional butterfly shape throttle curve in order to control the power application. Conversely, drivers might want the brute force torque from the linear torque pedal for
Basically what iRacing discovered a few months back was that in their sim the throttle curve was linear, when in a real life situation it is more of an S shaped curve. Meaning that it ramps up quickly, flattens out in the middle and then finishes off quickly. What tipped them off was people being able to apply about 50% throttle while under braking and still being able to brake quicker using that method. Turns out that at 50% throttle on a linear throttle curve equates to roughly 1/2 that using the S shaped curve. What type of throttle curve does MXS use? I can try and dig up the information from iRacing if you'd like more info, but it was on their old forum over a year ago, so it might get tricky, but then again I can always just ask the developers for the information as well. :D
Phathry25

Re: Throttle curve.

Post by Phathry25 »

Doh! The iRacing quote I provided was from the FW31 setup guide as there is a dial to adjust the throttle shaping per driver preference. This is the important line I guess... "Setting 1 maps the throttle-to-engine torque just like a typical engine that uses a butterfly throttle plate."
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It's linear in MX Sim. Wish I had a dyno so I could try some partial throttle runs.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

My buddy has a dyno in his dad's shop which he works at. All you have to do is ask.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

If he could do 25%, 50%, 75% and full throttle it would be interesting. I imagine low throttle settings will deliver pretty much the same torque as full throttle at low RPM but at high RPM where there's more flow required the throttle will make a bigger difference. But that's just a SWAG.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.