Graphic Improvements

Post your suggestions here
Garasaki

Re: Graphic Improvements

Post by Garasaki »

Ryan638 wrote:I'm pretty sure people are using .90 as the lighting colour these days, where 1.0 is pure white. I'm not 100% on that though
The lighting is defined as an R G B value. Go ride the MX Jones tracks where I drastically change the lighting values depending on the enviroment and see how your spec maps respond. Most track makers just put them all at 0.9 (mind you pure white is any value where the RGB values are identical). In my opinion, 0.9 is WAY too bright and crushes the whites on skins and especially spec maps. Furthermore, remember that your spec maps can also define the reflection color, I believe.

Getting really realistic spec maps has to be a coordinated effort between the model, the skin, and the track's enviroment.

Rainbow has someone assigned to coordinating those 3 things so it looks good.

We have a minimum of 3 different people involved in making each of those with no coordination whatsoever. And there is no coordination between the different models. And there is no coordination between different skins. And there are different skin makers for the bike, the gear, and the helmet, all with no coordination. And there is no coordination between different track creators.

We have an infinite number of combinations of lighting, models, and skins. Rainbow had a finite number of combinations and make sure to coordinate them all.

It is literally impossible for this community to reach that level of coordination. We depend on too many variables.

I developed my oneal riding gear and Beemer helmet spec maps on the "base" mx jones track. That's the closest we'll ever get to having a coordinated set of variables.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

mace-x wrote:what about soft bodies for rear and front fender?
you can see them bending on real life, a soft body work would do the job in Mxs
we need better graphics for sure, altrought i think that this game handles huuuuge textures, as no other.

Something like in this game perhaps?
What's better is, it's free and open source so implementing something similar shouldn't be too hard after checking how it's done in that.
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

Woah that game looks pretty fun,thanks for sharing Shadow. I'll try it out.
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

rideblue56

Post by rideblue56 »

im downloading it now. lol
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

What fps you getting rideblue? When i'm walking around with human its like from 40fps to 80fps and when i'm in the car it goes straight down to ~4fps..
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

The game is super CPU dependent. It's doing some pretty crazy real time physics calcs when you get in a vehicle. If you don't have a pretty damn fast dual core CPU you're probably SOL.
Ryan638

Post by Ryan638 »

Garasaki wrote:
Ryan638 wrote:I'm pretty sure people are using .90 as the lighting colour these days, where 1.0 is pure white. I'm not 100% on that though
The lighting is defined as an R G B value. Go ride the MX Jones tracks where I drastically change the lighting values depending on the enviroment and see how your spec maps respond. Most track makers just put them all at 0.9 (mind you pure white is any value where the RGB values are identical). In my opinion, 0.9 is WAY too bright and crushes the whites on skins and especially spec maps. Furthermore, remember that your spec maps can also define the reflection color, I believe.

Getting really realistic spec maps has to be a coordinated effort between the model, the skin, and the track's enviroment.

Rainbow has someone assigned to coordinating those 3 things so it looks good.

We have a minimum of 3 different people involved in making each of those with no coordination whatsoever. And there is no coordination between the different models. And there is no coordination between different skins. And there are different skin makers for the bike, the gear, and the helmet, all with no coordination. And there is no coordination between different track creators.

We have an infinite number of combinations of lighting, models, and skins. Rainbow had a finite number of combinations and make sure to coordinate them all.

It is literally impossible for this community to reach that level of coordination. We depend on too many variables.

I developed my oneal riding gear and Beemer helmet spec maps on the "base" mx jones track. That's the closest we'll ever get to having a coordinated set of variables.
I've noticed your tracks definitely look the best with reflections (you de-saturate the blue in the env image right?)
Unfortunately, until the lighting is sorted out and consistent across all the tracks things will never look perfect. It would be interesting to hear jlv's opinion on all of this stuff too
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Technically most of what you said was wrong, but I do agree there are improvements to be made. Don't expect anything major until the supercross season is over.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Ryan638 wrote:I've noticed your tracks definitely look the best with reflections (you de-saturate the blue in the env image right?)
Unfortunately, until the lighting is sorted out and consistent across all the tracks things will never look perfect. It would be interesting to hear jlv's opinion on all of this stuff too
I just put a layer of black on top of everything in the file I used to make the .env file, and lower the opacity on it to like 20 or something. I dunno, i could upload the psd I suppose, if there was interest in it. There's nothing magical about it though. This is something that wouldn't need to be done if there was a coordinated team working on the project though.

The biggest thing I do is that I don't use blown out lighting numbers like everyone else does. My values are more like 0.3 to 0.6. And I choose RGB values that match my sky.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
rideblue56

Post by rideblue56 »

Kawasakis wrote:What fps you getting rideblue? When i'm walking around with human its like from 40fps to 80fps and when i'm in the car it goes straight down to ~4fps..
yeah, its pretty tough on the pc, oddly.. just gotta figure out the graphics setting. i got it running around 60 consistently now. (biggest thing was the "minimum visibility range" setting in the advanced tab) and some of the cars are pretty complex, so thats why youre getting a frame rate hit.

the game is pretty addicting though. lol
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

jlv wrote:Technically most of what you said was wrong, but I do agree there are improvements to be made. Don't expect anything major until the supercross season is over.
I fuck hate this supercross series haha , but ok its a part of the markting of the game :(
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
Bio
Team: None

Post by Bio »

I doubt JLV has enough resources and time to bump the graphics up,anyways most people like it simplistic, because you dont get too slow of FPS for smooth racing
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Ryan638 wrote: 2:

On the subject of maps, ground normal maps would be sick to have. I remember seeing a post where jlv said it would be possible but using tangent space maps instead, which I would be fine with. I'm guessing it would work by each decal having its own normal map and everything is placed right over the decal. Not sure if it's possible but ground spec maps wouldn't go a miss either for replicating things like mud and surface water etc.
What we use now for skins are tangent norms, the ground textures would have to use world (http://mxsimulator.com/benchracing3/vie ... ld#p173629). Here's a good article, at first I thought they were referring to world space as object space but it's a total different type. Only mentions world space once but it still has good explanations of normal maps and how they work http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php ... ormal_Maps.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Ryan638

Post by Ryan638 »

yzmxer608 wrote:
Ryan638 wrote: 2:

On the subject of maps, ground normal maps would be sick to have. I remember seeing a post where jlv said it would be possible but using tangent space maps instead, which I would be fine with. I'm guessing it would work by each decal having its own normal map and everything is placed right over the decal. Not sure if it's possible but ground spec maps wouldn't go a miss either for replicating things like mud and surface water etc.
What we use now for skins are tangent norms, the ground textures would have to use world (http://mxsimulator.com/benchracing3/vie ... ld#p173629). Here's a good article, at first I thought they were referring to world space as object space but it's a total different type. Only mentions world space once but it still has good explanations of normal maps and how they work http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php ... ormal_Maps.
Yeah, i was confused between the 2. Not the only thing I had wrong in that post :lol:
Good read though, might want to post it in the tutorials if it's not already there
Bio wrote:I doubt JLV has enough resources and time to bump the graphics up,anyways most people like it simplistic, because you dont get too slow of FPS for smooth racing
He's developed it this far and it's still progressing, so why not keep going
jlv wrote:Technically most of what you said was wrong, but I do agree there are improvements to be made. Don't expect anything major until the supercross season is over.
:lol: Yeah, not expecting anything at all for a while. You've got alot on your plate
Garasaki wrote:
Ryan638 wrote:I've noticed your tracks definitely look the best with reflections (you de-saturate the blue in the env image right?)
I just put a layer of black on top of everything in the file I used to make the .env file, and lower the opacity on it to like 20 or something. I dunno, i could upload the psd I suppose, if there was interest in it. There's nothing magical about it though. This is something that wouldn't need to be done if there was a coordinated team working on the project though.

The biggest thing I do is that I don't use blown out lighting numbers like everyone else does. My values are more like 0.3 to 0.6. And I choose RGB values that match my sky.
Yeah, I suppose it's something that everyone needs to do to get consistent results with skins