SLI / Crossfire

Post your suggestions here
Jester#132

SLI / Crossfire

Post by Jester#132 »

Hey, I don't know if this would be hard to implement, or what would need to be changed to implement it but, SLI / Crossfire support would be so great, at the moment my 2nd graphics card is just going to waste it feels like.. :(
Also I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, if so sorry for that.
Lastly, I do realise not much will be changed during the sx season, just wanted to throw it out there, hope more people think it's a good idea.
"I didn't jump the gate...it musta' flipped back up, after I went over it!?!"
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: SLI / Crossfire

Post by jlv »

I don't think I'm doing anything that would prevent split frame SLI from working. The terrain texture rendering might be a problem, but there is no way around that. As long as the drivers render the terrain tiles on both cards it should work well enough anyway. (If the drivers try to render on one card and copy it over the performance will be terrible.) You definitely want to enable framebuffer objects for SLI.

Right now I don't clear the Z buffer between frames which will cause problems for alternate frame rendering. I'll change that since clearing the Z buffer is fast anyway.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jester#132

Post by Jester#132 »

Okay, I only understood half of what you just said haha :P , but I'll enable framebuffer objects then, thanks a bunch. :)
"I didn't jump the gate...it musta' flipped back up, after I went over it!?!"
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Split frame = each frame is divided in half and each GPU draws a half. This reduces the number pixels each GPU draws by half, but they still have to process all of the geometry.

Alternate frame = one GPU draws the even frames and the other draws the odd frames. This way each GPU draws half the pixels and half the geometry.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
HeGgE
Team: Adept

Post by HeGgE »

While your talking about this, i have a HD Radeon 6950 2gb sick ass card, 8 gb RAM, AMD Phenom quad core 3.4ghz black edition processor, still during onlineraces i have to use 65-6 ground, 65-5 model, and 64x64 ground resolution to not get lag. mikeys shitty ass computer for example can handle higher graphics then me. do you have any idea whats doing this? is it my processor?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Your hardware sounds like it should get a solid 125 fps. Are you sure you're running a recent OpenGL driver? What does the driver info say?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
HeGgE

Post by HeGgE »

where can i see that?
sweden
Team: JPR

Post by sweden »

Hey hegge, did you know that you can flash your HD6850 to an HD 6870 ? that shoud solve your problem i think... Just search on google at tutorials how to do it.... one more thing, if its bought before november 2010 , you are able to flash it. If its newer than that ive heard that you cant flash that card becuase AMD lost moneys on it and many 6850s got broken. Its your own choice =) but if i had a 6850 i woud been trying to do that ! =)
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

HeGgE wrote:where can i see that?
It's on the graphics/sound setup screen. The same info is in lastlog.txt on the GL_VERSION line.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
HeGgE

Post by HeGgE »

sweden wrote:Hey hegge, did you know that you can flash your HD6850 to an HD 6870 ? that shoud solve your problem i think... Just search on google at tutorials how to do it.... one more thing, if its bought before november 2010 , you are able to flash it. If its newer than that ive heard that you cant flash that card becuase AMD lost moneys on it and many 6850s got broken. Its your own choice =) but if i had a 6850 i woud been trying to do that ! =)
its a 6950 :P
HeGgE

Post by HeGgE »

this is what i found in the lastlog one ([155:23:18.90] Logfile "C:/Users/Hegge/AppData/Local/MX Simulator/lastlog.txt" opened
[155:23:18.90] JUGL 0.31) but i didnt find anything in the graphics menu about gl drivers :/
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Under "Graphics/Sound Setup", it will be all the way at the bottom of the screen. In the lastlog.txt file, search for GL_VERSION.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

Its the very bottom line of text on the graphics screen, it doesn't say open gl version, it just says what version, mine is 3.3.0
sweden
Team: JPR

Post by sweden »

HeGgE wrote:
sweden wrote:Hey hegge, did you know that you can flash your HD6850 to an HD 6870 ? that shoud solve your problem i think... Just search on google at tutorials how to do it.... one more thing, if its bought before november 2010 , you are able to flash it. If its newer than that ive heard that you cant flash that card becuase AMD lost moneys on it and many 6850s got broken. Its your own choice =) but if i had a 6850 i woud been trying to do that ! =)
its a 6950 :P
omg ! thats a nice card, i thought you had 6850 lol :D
Mbutler183
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Creme Egg

Post by Mbutler183 »

Phathry25 wrote:Its the very bottom line of text on the graphics screen, it doesn't say open gl version, it just says what version, mine is 3.3.0
Narb, mine is 4.1.1