Dynamic Stability

Post your suggestions here
DJD

Dynamic Stability

Post by DJD »

I had a thought,

What if we could have a button (like sit-dab) that would change the stability setting (Steering dampening/roll dampening) while you held it down.
One of the major problems with the game is the fact that we constantly have to ride with the same stability settings. Its a game of give and take, you set your steering damping/roll dampening
higher to gain more stability and consistency on the ground, but when faced with a situation in the air that requires quick adjustments you get screwed.

For example, say you wanted to scrub speed off a jump face more aggressively, or throw a huge whip for the ladies, you could hold the button down, then that would lower the steering dampening/
roll dampening settings allowing you to throw the bike around more aggressively. Release the button and the settings return to the "ground setting".

It would be advantageous to have two stability settings, one for the ground and one for the air. "Ground Stability" and "Air stability" :)

If that makes any sense...Basically, different situations on the bike require lower steering dampening/roll dampening (scrubs, whips, quick adjustments in the air). While others require higher steering
dampening/roll dampening. (Getting around the track without swapping all over the place and washing the front wheel).

The way my controller is mapped, a have the "A Button" that controls the sit-dab, and my thumb is already over the "X Button". It would be very easy to hold the "X button" down to lower the settings.

Just like in real life, you use your body differently depending on what you want the bike to do. We could simulate that with my idea, in theory i guess...IDK.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Dynamic Stability

Post by jlv »

Adding a separate control seems a little too complicated. It might make sense to boost the stability when the steering control is close to centered.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJD

Post by DJD »

Just lowering the steering and roll dampening would be to complicated? While you hold the button it would drop those settings to the level you choose.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

I like this idea. There are definitely situations when a drop in roll and steering dampening is called for.
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I think what JLV means is....idk about you guys, but I am managing a lot of buttons in this game! I suppose I could add 1 more, but yea haha
Yamaha285
Team: MotoStar Racing

Post by Yamaha285 »

perhaps the setups should be a bit more simplified like your do not counter steer in every situation. Counter steering should take effect at a certain speed i think its frustrating as hell to wash do to counter steer in a slow corner then as he slow picks him self up if your on the slightest angle he wants to turn all weird and make it worst. I think if setup was simplified this will work get but i think there's many changes needed with rider and bike feel. mass distribution??? Do you sit in one spot in real life nooo you move around like crazy to make you corner better minimize and maximize jumping whoops all that. I really like DJD's idea but i fell these play a huge part in problems with set up aswell
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

This seems awesome to me, and I have no problem having 100 more buttons that i need to press, it make sit more complex, but thats what separates the men from teh boys.
MX196
Team: Privateer

Post by MX196 »

attacker5 wrote:This seems awesome to me, and I have no problem having 100 more buttons that i need to press, it make sit more complex, but thats what separates the men from teh boys.
x2.

I think this is a great idea. The good thing about it is that the people that won't want this dont need to use the button.
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

MX196 wrote:
attacker5 wrote:This seems awesome to me, and I have no problem having 100 more buttons that i need to press, it make sit more complex, but thats what separates the men from teh boys.
x2.

I think this is a great idea. The good thing about it is that the people that won't want this dont need to use the button.
Exactly.
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

Shadow wrote:I like this idea. There are definitely situations when a drop in roll and steering dampening is called for.

i would like to test this out, could be realllllly interesting for freeriding or whips. Just make a command with the sliders similar to suspension in options for the button that enables or disables

example :
*pulls in left trigger to drop stablity to 8 from 25 off a face of a jump to make sick gnar gnar whip and let go while landing to return to 25 stability and continue racing *

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
DJD

Post by DJD »

Im not talking about changing the stability settings completely, The only settings i would like to change are just the "steering dampening" and "roll dampening" in the advanced menu.

So while you hold down the button the game drops those settings to whatever you set it at. Say, from 35, down to 25 or something.

Those are the main limiting factors when scrubbing and whipping.

I think it would be very useful.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I get the idea. It just seems a little "go go gadget less stability!" to me. It might be better if it automatically engaged at the steering limits.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
i_Bite#21

Post by i_Bite#21 »

Maybe with the button, when you stabalize your guy could stick his foot out when your turning.
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

i_Bite#21 wrote:Maybe with the button, when you stabalize your guy could stick his foot out when your turning.
the rider already puts his foot out automatically when sitting down?
DJD

Post by DJD »

jlv wrote:I get the idea. It just seems a little "go go gadget less stability!" to me. It might be better if it automatically engaged at the steering limits.
I don't really see any other way to do it. Anything automatic would just screw you up when riding.