Several models out of one .jm

Post your suggestions here
KTM57

Several models out of one .jm

Post by KTM57 »

OK, the title is kind of weird, but here goes:

Say that I'm packing up an update to a team gear set on the rider_body-FSK2011.jm, but each rider has a different buttpatch which needs a different normal map. Each rider also has 3 different color schemes of gear. I could do several things with the current system, none of which promote small file sizes.

I could include three normal maps for each rider, which is annoying and also presents the problem that I could easily make a mistake in typing out the name of the norm and therefore the rider would have no normal map on one gear set (if I made a mistake). I did this with the first team Tectonic.saf, but this creates a very large saf.

I could include a rider model for each rider. For example, "rider_body-FSK2011-Tyler Crain.jm". That way, I could include "rider_body-FSK2011-Tyler Crain_norm/spec.png"for the gear, but I would have 11 rider models and 55 maps (3 diffuse, norm, and spec) in the saf. Mega file as well.

So, here's what I propose:

Say that I include "rider_body-FSK2011.jm" as the only rider model in the saf. Then, it would be AWESOME if I could name skins like "rider_body-FSK2011-Tyler Crain-Yellow.png" and have "rider_body-FSK2011-Tyler Crain_norm/spec.png" as well, but have the game only recognize the text in between the first hyphen and the second in the skin name as the model. Then, the game would search for the FSK2011 model, find it, and place the skin onto that model.

Another thing that could be done is a .txt file or just a plain file could be included in the .saf that told the game what model to place all of the skins onto. The norm and spec would obviously go along with the naming of the diffuse, but they could be placed onto "rider_body-FSK2011.jm" per the .txt file's instructions.

Note that I have no experience in scripting or writing games or anything, so that I have no idea if this could be done or not.

Hopefully this is considered! Also, to all of the people that see flaws and such in this, please post them so that they may be solved if this goes through! Thank you!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
wheels1758

Re: Several models out of one .jm

Post by wheels1758 »

Have you tried creating a rider_body-FSK.jm and using a rider_body-FSK-TylerCrain-TectonicBlue.png? I think it may work already...

If I remember correct, the game will look for rider_body-FSK-TylerCrain.jm, then rider_body-FSK.jm, then rider_body.jm. I could be wrong, but you may want to try it out.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

OK, I will!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Brina927
Team: Whipstyle

Post by Brina927 »

I've always done it the first way you said because I can't get just one normal map to work even if if it's the same for each rider. I have to make a separate normal map for every png of the gear I have :?
My Stats
Discord: MxBrina#9694
jlv wrote:Team Motosport Honda's Brina made MX Simulator history as she became the first woman to take a win in a major series.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

For now you're stuck with using extra models or extra normal maps. A text file that lets you specify the norm/spec maps would be a nice feature though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

I tried what wheels said and it worked. Amazing.

Brina, you have to check "strip folder from path" on the SAF Creator.
Stickerz
Team: N/A

Post by Stickerz »

@KTM, Have you tried making the norm and spec maps a lot less detailed? maybe a image of 512x512? Should be sufficient detail, but would cut down on file size quite a bit...
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Why cut down the quality of the skin if I can have a quality skin, but smaller file size as well?
Stickerz

Post by Stickerz »

Leave the SKIN 2048x2048, the norm and spec maps don't need to be the same size, that's why.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Why compromise the quality of the maps?
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

BTW, the diffuse map isn't the only part of a skin.
Stickerz

Post by Stickerz »

KTM57 wrote:Why compromise the quality of the maps?
Because they don't need to be that detailed, unless of course you like taking screenshots with 10 fov and less than a foot away from the bike...
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

They don't need to be that detailed unless you want the normal map to perfectly match the diffuse map and use small things such as a cloth pattern.

Let's see you make a nice skin with a normal map smaller than the diffuse map!