MacTutorial: Mx Simulator and xbox360 controller triggers

Post your questions here
vmaki
Team: Privateer

MacTutorial: Mx Simulator and xbox360 controller triggers

Post by vmaki »

Recently I had to do a clean install of osx and I decided to try to get Mxs to work before reinstalling windows on a separate partition. Last summer I installed the game using crossover but I couldn't get my xbox360 controller or triggers to work. Can't remember which. Today I got the game working with winery and the controller with Tattiebogle osx driver. So I decided to write a simple tutorial about it.

Table of contents
1. Requirements
2. Installing Mxs
3. Installing Tattiebogle driver and mapping the triggers
4. Thanks and such

Requirements

First you need the game and a xbox 360 controller. Obviously. You can buy the game from http://mxsimulator.com/order.html. You also need the most recent snapshot from http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewforum.php?f=1, wineskin from http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... =Downloads, Tattiebogle driver from http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Projec ... river#toc1 and a text editor. I use http://editra.org.

Installing Mxs

First move your Wineskin winery to your applications folder and then launch it. Push the "update" button if possible. Next you need to install an engine. push the "plus" button beneath installed engines. From the dropdown menu select the most recent release and push the button "download and install". After the download finishes there should read something like WS9Wine 1.6-rc4X under installed engines.

Press the "create new blank wrapper" button. Name it for example MxSimulator and click ok. It will ask you to download two things .net framework and gecko or something similar. I don't know if these are needed, but I downloaded the .net framework thing. It should now say wrapper creation finished. Click "View in finder".

Open new finder window and navigate to your mxs installation exe. Drag and drop it onto your newly created wrapper. The normal mxs installer should open. Go through it as you would on windows.

After installation double click the wrapper. A window will open that has a button labeled "advanced". Click it. On top it says Windows EXE. Click browse. Goto drive_c/Program Files/MX Simulator/mx.exe and click choose. Under EXE flags you can specify flags that are listed here. http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1212. Click "test run". Mxs will start and you can enter your registeration key. Quit Mxs, Wineskin and Winery wineskin.

Go to your applications folder and right click your wrapper. Click "Show contents of this package" or something similar. Navigate to drive_c/Program Files/Mx Simulator. Rename the mx.exe as oldmx.exe or something similar. Copy the most recent snapshot here and rename as mx.exe.

Your tracks and skins will go to drive_c/users/YOUR USERNAME/Local Settings/Application Data/MX Simulator.

Installing Tattiebogle driver and mapping the triggers

Double click 360ControllerInstall.dmg that you downloaded from tattiebogle.net. Double click Install360Controlle.pkg. Installer will open. Go through it as usual.

Hook up your controller and go to apple logo/system preferences/Xbox 360 controllers. Push the buttons on your controller to make sure they are recognized. Start Mx Simulator by double clicking the wrapper. Customize your controls as you like them best but make note that you can't input triggers. Quit msx. Go to your applications folder and right click your wrapper. Click "Show contents of this package" or something similar. Navigate to drive_c/users/YOUR USERNAME/Local Settings/Application Data/MX Simulator. Open the config file with your favorite text editor.

Scroll down to lines 147-149. Replace them with:

Code: Select all

throttle_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)Joystick0 axis 5
front_brake_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)Joystick0 axis 4
rear_brake_key=(-1.000000,1.000000)Joystick0 axis 4
That maps your right trigger as gas and left trigger as front and rear brake. Save and exit. Enjoy the game!

Thanks and such

Thanks jlv for creating such a great game. Maybe we will see a mac port one day?
Thanks for the community for making great content and keeping the game interesting.

I am using a 2010 mbp and the game is definitely playable on lower settings. I had better performance under windows using bootcamp. But as I don't really play the game online I'm quite happy with the result. Sounds are working but they are a bit distorted.

I hope this little tutorial will help you to play the game with xbox 360 controller on osx. Thanks, bye and sorry for typos.
sapelgas431
Team: MadCape

Re: MacTutorial: Mx Simulator and xbox360 controller trigger

Post by sapelgas431 »

Dude, you're awesome. I've been trying to do this for ages! Instead I was using my Ps3 controller, without rolling the throttle, lol
André Santos
2015 Arenacross Champion | 2015/2016 EMF 450 SX 4th O/A | 2017 rF SX 250E 5th O/A
juicer731

Post by juicer731 »

Can't try this now, but sounds like it works! Thanks man, been trying to get triggers working on Mac since day one.
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Post by Scotty226 »

i love you!!!
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
sapelgas431

Post by sapelgas431 »

This guy just saved my life, lol
André Santos
2015 Arenacross Champion | 2015/2016 EMF 450 SX 4th O/A | 2017 rF SX 250E 5th O/A
Roost316

Post by Roost316 »

vmaki wrote:Open new finder window and navigate to your mxs installation exe. Drag and drop it onto your newly created wrapper. The normal mxs installer should open. Go through it as you would on windows.
Confused about this part….. do I download the newest update (1.9) and put it in the wrapper or is it something different? Thanks
Bryce Schaner #316
Scotty226

Post by Scotty226 »

Its an update. You have to install it, you can't just put it in there haha you need to open it with the wrapper and install it. I cant remember the details because it did it a while ago and i don't have a mac anymore.
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
Roost316

Post by Roost316 »

Scotty226 wrote:Its an update. You have to install it, you can't just put it in there haha you need to open it with the wrapper and install it. I cant remember the details because it did it a while ago and i don't have a mac anymore.
I put the 1.9 update on the wrapper and installed it…. after that I renamed the old mx.exe as oldmx.exe and placed the snapshot that I normally use into the folder and named it mx.exe. the game opens but my tracks gear etc… are not there
Bryce Schaner #316
Scotty226

Post by Scotty226 »

Get the latest snapshot if its not the one you 'normally use'. If that doesnt work i have no idea how to fix it.
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
sapelgas431

Post by sapelgas431 »

I used this for a while then the controller suddenly stopped working and I went back to my ps3, without rolling the throttle. Now that the controller is fixed, I did everything to put it to work and it works indeed, the only problem is that the controller vibrates when I brake or throttle. Is there a way to fix this? I googled it but couldn't find an answer.
André Santos
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

sapelgas431 wrote:I used this for a while then the controller suddenly stopped working and I went back to my ps3, without rolling the throttle. Now that the controller is fixed, I did everything to put it to work and it works indeed, the only problem is that the controller vibrates when I brake or throttle. Is there a way to fix this? I googled it but couldn't find an answer.
Sorry but I don't know. My controller has never vibrated with msx. Does your controller work normally with other games after being fixed? Also the game seems to behave different depending on what engine you use. I had a sound issue with the newer engines but for me using the engine called WS8Wine 1.3.37 solved the problem.
sapelgas431

Post by sapelgas431 »

Strange.. I just restarted my computer and the controller stopped vibrating :) Thanks once again!
André Santos
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

Couple days ago I updated my os to yosemite and the controller stopped working. To get your controller working again you can download a more recent unofficial driver from github.

https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

-Download the 0.13.1 driver
-Uninstall the current driver from from the system preferences by right clicking the Xbox 360 Controllers prefpane
-Install the new driver
-Restart your computer
-Continue playing your favourite mx sim

Also keep an eye out for an official release at the developers website at http://tattiebogle.net
sapelgas431

Post by sapelgas431 »

I cant get mine to work on yosemite? I wasnt going to update, then I saw you saying how easy it was, then realized I had an Afterglow, which is way harder to set up ... :(
André Santos
vmaki

Post by vmaki »

sapelgas431 wrote:I cant get mine to work on yosemite? I wasnt going to update, then I saw you saying how easy it was, then realized I had an Afterglow, which is way harder to set up ... :(
https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

The developer has released a pre-release of 0.14. Maybe that will work with your controller.