MXS off multiple cores?

Post your questions here
D173
Team: No Thanks

MXS off multiple cores?

Post by D173 »

Is there any way for mx sim to run off of multiple cores? I heard that it only runs off one core, in that case my new laptop wont handle it as well as my desktop and I'm just wondering if there is anyway for it to run off of multiple cores? I know that somehow there is a program for minecraft that forces it to use multiple cores... Thanks guys.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: MXS off multiple cores?

Post by jlv »

For the most part multi-threading has to be built into the application and can't be patched in. Someone used to have a Mesa GL driver that used multiple threads to speed up OpenGL apps. I'm not aware of anything similar available now though. It'd be a waste for any decent graphics card anyway.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Axionkt

Re: MXS off multiple cores?

Post by Axionkt »

I don't really know why but it seems to be running on all 4 cores on my computer since I installed Windows 8, only reaching around 30% CPU usage, while on one core I'm close to 100%.

I've also been experiencing stuttering and low graphics card usage (around 60%). Changing the affinity to one core only fixed that.

In situations where I am clearly CPU limited, setting the affinity on 2 cores gives me higher average FPS but also stuttering and FPS drops, so even if you could patch the exe I don't think it would be beneficial.