How To Correctly Install New Graphic Drivers

Post your questions here
Jacko #828
Team: Privateer

Re: How To Correctly Install New Graphic Drivers

Post by Jacko #828 »

Right I tried doing this last night and it didn't work I uninstalled the catalyst manager and everything, then used the driver sweeper, but when I came to installing the driver it said there wasn't a folder for it and it wanted to create a folder so I clicked yes then it said can't find locataion blah blah blah, whatever it was and the install was unsuccessful.

Also I'm not sure im downloading the right thing.
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
On there it says 'Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series'
So I downloaded the 64bit version as my graphic card is a Mobility Radeon HD 5650. So I presumed that'd be the 5000 series, am I right?

But.. If I choose at the options at the side as follows:
> Notebook graphics
> Radeon HD Series
> Mobility Radeon HD 5xxx Series
> Windows 7 - 64 Bit

It comes up with a different download. The first was is like 145MB and the second one is 1.1MB :?

If anyone could help, it would be muchly appreciated, as atm I have no graphic drivers installed now an my screen is messed up! :(
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Ok so somehow i've managed to install it, but my screen sesolution is not what it used to be, im really stuck with this :?
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Radeon HD 5000 would be their desktop standalone cards. You have the mobility version so that 1.1MB file you downloaded is a verification tool tells you if your laptop is compatible with generic AMD mobility drivers (I'm guessing if you ran it, it would tell you which drivers to use?). Not totally sure on that, never heard of them doing this before, normally they have separate display driver downloads but I guess their Mobility stuff is different.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Right.. I'm starting from scratch. I went on the internet typed in my laptop (Acer Aspire 5553G). Some say it has HD Radeon 5470 and others say HD Radeon 5650. But I can't find either of those on AMD's site:? Is there a way I can check on my laptop which one it is?
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/ ... ifications

Go to display on that webpage and it says:

Graphics Processor
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

So it could be three different ones now? :?
5650,5470 and now 4250..
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

To be honest they all should use the same drivers, at least that's how the desktop line is. Go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager. Click the arrow next to display adapters and see what it says. I'm guessing if you have the wrong drivers installed it'll say something weird, but just see what it is. The release notes for the 12.8 suite say it's compatible with the 5000 series of mobility, which I think you downloaded already (http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... n7-64.aspx). What did the verification tool say when you ran it (that 1.1MB file)?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

Okay I'll have a look for that now thanks. Everytime I go into safe mode to install the drivers it says 'Failed to load detection driver' and doesn't install, so I've just done it by restarting my laptop normally and it seems download fine, which is what I did last time but everything still isn't right. My screen resolution will only go to 1024 x something and before it was like 1600 something. Ermm.. It didn't say anything just opened it, a prompt message came up, clicked run, it took literally 5 seconds to do then the box went, so I presumed it had downloaded, then nothing happened.
Jacko #828

Post by Jacko #828 »

So I've installed and restarted now, an it seems to be ok. Screen resolution is normal, not blurry. And all is normal atm. Not sure which one I downloaded though, I've downloaded so many! :? Do you think I should try the 12.8? Because I just downloaded the thing that said it auto detects. So would that of given me the 12.8?
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

It should have given 12.8, since it's the newest version.
imboredd:\\

Post by imboredd:\\ »

I cant find out where my old graphic drivers are. I have looked everywhere ! Is it possible that I never had any in the first place ? Haha

Ohh and since im on a laptop you said I might have to get new drivers... I went on sony and it said no results found for "graphic drivers" or "display drivers" :oops: I just want my computer to not lag anymore when I'm on mxs !!!! :cry: :cry: :oops:
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The computer vendor's drivers (i.e. Dell, HP, Sony, etc) are usually way behind the GPU vendor's drivers (AMD, Intel, NVIDIA).
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

So what do I do JLV ?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Try the driver from your GPU vendor.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

I went to the intel and it said I dont have one of there drivers. And I know I dont have the other 2.. Would I just have to buy one ?! :oops: :oops: :oops: