Using a 4K TV as a monitor

Post your questions here
Rich_MeaderMX
Team: MeaderMX

Using a 4K TV as a monitor

Post by Rich_MeaderMX »

Hello all,

I have a new PC coming in a week or two which has a graphics card capable of outputting ultra HD resolutions, therefore I've been thinking of getting a 4K TV to to use as a monitor as well as, obviously, a TV.

Do any of you guys have this set up? If so, what's it like? Worth it for MXsim? Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Thanks,
Rich
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Using a 4K TV as a monitor

Post by Wahlamt »

Personally I don't like playing sim on TV's. It's just weird to me. I'd Prefer a 24" HD/WHD high-end monitor with low response time, good color contrast etc. But if you like playing on tv's it's probably great! As for 4K, I think it's a little overrated. BUT I'd still like to have one myself, but it's not a priority. :)
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Capable of outputting 4k and gaming at 4k are different subjects. What card is it?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Pumaxcs wrote:Capable of outputting 4k and gaming at 4k are different subjects. What card is it?
I thought about that too. 4K gaming output would need a lot more than just 4K video playback output huh?
Rich_MeaderMX

Post by Rich_MeaderMX »

Wahlamt wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:Capable of outputting 4k and gaming at 4k are different subjects. What card is it?
I thought about that too. 4K gaming output would need a lot more than just 4K video playback output huh?
Thanks guys. It's fairly good card, it's the GTX980 from Nvidia. I am starting to think that a cheaper 1080p will do just as well for MXSim, maybe at this point 4K tech is a bit gimmicky and we should wait until it becomes more the norm.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

"Fairly good" Oh hell, why didn't you say so? Yeah, nah, you're good to go. :lol:

I've seen a 4k TV at a Best Buy. They truely are insanely clear. You just have to watch what TV you get because some will downscale to what your input is and some will upscale your input to 4k (or is there an external device that does this? Not sure). 4k looks stunning just depends on what you are using actually uses, and you PC can most certainly output 4k in any situation.

If you go with a 1080p TV make sure you get the highest pixel density possible, as it will look atleast close to a 1080. Might also check if TV's do 1440p or something inbetween.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Is HDTV lag still a thing?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

jlv wrote:Is HDTV lag still a thing?
I dunno, I run a 1080p TV as my screen and don't have any lag or latency.

What does a normal monitor run as far as output? Better than 1080p?
Rich_MeaderMX

Post by Rich_MeaderMX »

This is my main worry, I am at the point of brining my PC to a TV store and hooking it up to different TVs and seeing if this lag exists. Not sure how the staff will feel about it...
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

It's more than a thing! It's an epidemic! In all seriousness I've had some experience with it. Last christmas I bought a new HDTV, and the input lag was just nuts. Probably at least around 0.5-1sec. I plated Halo 4 mainly at the time and it was just terrible. Supposedly the TV's with a CPU withing them that are processing the image first is the worst, unless it has a gaming-mode which let's you bypass that. So I returned my TV and picked up another one, and couldn't be more happy!
Rich_MeaderMX

Post by Rich_MeaderMX »

Wahlamt wrote:
It's more than a thing! It's an epidemic! In all seriousness I've had some experience with it. Last christmas I bought a new HDTV, and the input lag was just nuts. Probably at least around 0.5-1sec. I plated Halo 4 mainly at the time and it was just terrible. Supposedly the TV's with a CPU withing them that are processing the image first is the worst, unless it has a gaming-mode which let's you bypass that. So I returned my TV and picked up another one, and couldn't be more happy!
That settles it for me then, I will be hiking my PC to an electronics store and spend an afternoon testing out their HDTVs. That lag is something that I could not tolerate, my MXsim skills are shitty enough without my TV making them worse.

Thank you for all your advice, it is much appreciated.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Rich_MeaderMX wrote:
Wahlamt wrote:
That settles it for me then, I will be hiking my PC to an electronics store and spend an afternoon testing out their HDTVs. That lag is something that I could not tolerate, my MXsim skills are shitty enough without my TV making them worse.

No problem. Just ask the store if you can bring the PC. One of my locals said that I could hook up my xbox 360 and try so it worked :)
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Rich_MeaderMX wrote:That settles it for me then, I will be hiking my PC to an electronics store and spend an afternoon testing out their HDTVs. That lag is something that I could not tolerate, my MXsim skills are shitty enough without my TV making them worse.

If they let you do that, that'd be cool!

But like I said, I don't even have a monitor for my PC so I've played on many TV's from 720p to 1080p, all different brands, and never experienced any lag at all.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Not much anymore. To someone playing on a really expensive monitor with 1ms then you may notice something but for the most part its not apparent these days.
MXS Cares
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Pumaxcs wrote:
Not much anymore. To someone playing on a really expensive monitor with 1ms then you may notice something but for the most part its not apparent these days.
I can assure you that you're wrong.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.