Timing out because you have a lot of bikes/skins

Post your questions here
Ddavis

Timing out because you have a lot of bikes/skins

Post by Ddavis »

What takes a bigger toll on your computer? Bikes or gear? I'd imagine bikes, but who knows. I want to have as many skins as I can while I race, but last year at Glen Helen I timed out on the gate, and it almost happened again at San Diego. I'm just wondering if I should only make it where I see gear (numbers are easier to read on the back etc) or just try to minimize the number of team packs.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Timing out because you have a lot of bikes/skins

Post by Wahlamt »

4k killing is real. I would guess it's a mix depending on the image size and the poly count of the model.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

It's all in the file size. Doesn't matter if it's a bike or a rider. The 4k thing is a real plague. Might have to make some kind of downsampled file cache just to deal with the bloat.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

Maybe a slider to downsize the dimensions of bike and rider files for non local players? As in the other rider's skins would be downsized but yours will not be?
jlv wrote:It's all in the file size. Doesn't matter if it's a bike or a rider. The 4k thing is a real plague. Might have to make some kind of downsampled file cache just to deal with the bloat.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I'm planning on doing more to limit ridiculous textures, but that doesn't help the loading times as it still has to read in the entire bloated texture to downsample it. To help the loading times I'd have to save a cache of downsampled textures so it can load from the cache when it needs a low res version instead of reading in and downsampling a 50 MB texture.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
USABMXER1
Team: DaBaum Designs

Post by USABMXER1 »

Maybe teams just make 2k stuff instead of 4k stuff so that they don't kill the streamers who literally have to download everybodies skins so that they pop up on the streams?