Buying a cheap computer

Post your questions here
Mmalo1226
Team: Fantom Mx

Buying a cheap computer

Post by Mmalo1226 »

Hey guys im lookin to get into mx sim lookin at cheap computers at best buy does this seem like it would run sim even on a low setting http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-refurb ... Id=5506816
sethiemeboi
Crushed Dissenter
Team: VlastMX

Re: Buying a cheap computer

Post by sethiemeboi »

It's so cheap because it has crappy integrated graphics, But it will for sure run sim on low settings..
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

It'd be pretty good if you added a good graphics card. Looking at the specs on that computer it does have a PCIe x16 slot. Power supply is only 265 watts though, which would limit your options. Probably not quite enough for something like a GTX 1050, so you'd be stuck with a slower card like a GT 730.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mmalo1226

Post by Mmalo1226 »

Well for now im not so worried about online racing where whereas id be new to the game and would take alot of time for me to adjust to it from mx v atv on ps4. Low settings woupd be fine for me But i just picked up a free tower its and im gonna slowly build it its got xp on would 4 gigs ram work or do i need 8
Mmalo1226

Post by Mmalo1226 »

I got an ibm seems to be older still has a floppy disc driver lol
KAWASAKIZ
Team: Privateer

Post by KAWASAKIZ »

jlv wrote:It'd be pretty good if you added a good graphics card. Looking at the specs on that computer it does have a PCIe x16 slot. Power supply is only 265 watts though, which would limit your options. Probably not quite enough for something like a GTX 1050, so you'd be stuck with a slower card like a GT 730.
you can go for a rx 460. which isn't really bad.
I5 4460 @3.2Ghz (Stock), 8Gb Ram (4x2) HyperX Fury @1600 mhz, H81M Plus, XFX RX 470 4Gb Black Edition, Corsair VS650w, Apevia X-Hermes (soon 750D)
Will93
Team: Privateer

Post by Will93 »

You definitely want a GPU for gaming. An i5 is nice I guess but having a good CPU won't have as much of an impact as a half-decent GPU. I'd try to find something fairly cheap with a GTX1050 in it, or add a 1050 to a PC (one will cost you about $100). If you try playing sim on the PC you're looking at you're gonna have to load all your graphics on the CPU instead, so you won't even be able to play most tracks, even on graphics so low that the ground looks like soup. Trust me, I've been there, it's not fun :P

Sim will run pretty well as long as you have a dedicated GPU running the graphics, so you don't need something super powerful.