I need help/advice from you experienced veterans out there <3

Post your questions here
Borggren123
Team: Privateer

I need help/advice from you experienced veterans out there <3

Post by Borggren123 »

Basically my problem is this : I'm unsure when/if I should lean forward/sit in corners and other situations. For instance when I hit a rut at high speed sometimes I lean forward sometimes I don't sometimes I sit sometimes I don't. And I just can't grasp/feel the advantages/disadvantages of the different tactics of tackling the corners/berms/ruts. I don't have much/any knowledge about bike control but I'm absolutely in love with this game and dying to improve. Right now I can do laps on the 2016 outdoor tracks decently which I'm quite proud of. But I'm being held back by my lack of knowledge right now and would -love- some help from you more talented people out there. :D

I've been scowering all parts of this forum for information on this and other things but with no luck ^^ I even left comments with the same question on MX-youtubers videos but no luck so far (ambitious I know haha) but I'm really dying to learn! :D
Crushed Dissenter

Re: I need help/advice from you experienced veterans out there <3

Post by 808 »

tutorial videos and "best beginner setups" are obsolete, just learn on your own that's the best way
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
Borggren123

Post by Borggren123 »

808 wrote:tutorial videos and "best beginner setups" are obsolete, just learn on your own that's the best way
Hi thanks for the reply.

But it seems you didn't read my post properly ^^ I'm not looking for either of those. I'm just trying to clear up some confusion I have about the advantages/disadvantages when it comes to leaning forward/sitting in corners and ruts. I'm trying to learn this on my own but like I said I can't feel a difference possibly because I'm not going fast enough. So later on when I do become fast enough I will have to re-learn a lot of my muscle memory just because I didn't know back when I started out. See why I might want to avoid this? :P
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Not sure if this is just for me but it really just depends on the track/corner you're hitting. You need to know when to lean forward and when to sit down which just comes with time. Practice makes perfect. Personally I never lean forward and sit down I'm usually doing one or the other (that I know of).
Borggren123

Post by Borggren123 »

Atom6246 wrote:Not sure if this is just for me but it really just depends on the track/corner you're hitting. You need to know when to lean forward and when to sit down which just comes with time. Practice makes perfect. Personally I never lean forward and sit down I'm usually doing one or the other (that I know of).
Hey Holm! Yeah that makes perfect sense to me and its what I intend on doing ^^ Apologies for the late reply I had to scoot off to work :)
I have another question if you don't mind. My main concern is that I'm unsure about how the bike characteristics change when I sit down/lean forward, thus it's hard for me to know where to begin.

How do you feel the bike behaves when you do said things? Is it more stable/tighter when you sit, do you lean forward to bring the rear around on corner exit? Can sitting accomplish that too? Right now I pretty much never sit and I lean forward in the corner apex and lean back a little on the exit to try and get more traction to the rear tire. I also tend to lean back when braking I don't know why hehe.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

Borggren123 wrote:Hey Holm! Yeah that makes perfect sense to me and its what I intend on doing ^^ Apologies for the late reply I had to scoot off to work :)
I have another question if you don't mind. My main concern is that I'm unsure about how the bike characteristics change when I sit down/lean forward, thus it's hard for me to know where to begin.

How do you feel the bike behaves when you do said things? Is it more stable/tighter when you sit, do you lean forward to bring the rear around on corner exit? Can sitting accomplish that too? Right now I pretty much never sit and I lean forward in the corner apex and lean back a little on the exit to try and get more traction to the rear tire. I also tend to lean back when braking I don't know why hehe.
Lean forward because your more likely to catch traction weird or wash out if you dont. Sit down to try and get better traction or for tight corners.
Its different for SX and MX. SX I try to come into corners sitting and hold it all the way through until I need to seat bounce. Or if its a sweeper I'll sit and lean forward or possibly just lean forward. MX is really depending on the track type and corner. Say Southwick you dont really want to be sitting much but rather be leaning forward. Regular MX tracks I try soaking up the breaking bumps, sit once Im in the corner, then stand on the exit to brace for the acceleration bumps. If its a high speed corner or rough I wont sit at all really just depends. With all that said try not to think about it much and just try and be smooth. Trail and error just experiment what works best for you.
Borggren123

Post by Borggren123 »

Atom6246 wrote:
Borggren123 wrote:Hey Holm! Yeah that makes perfect sense to me and its what I intend on doing ^^ Apologies for the late reply I had to scoot off to work :)

Lean forward because your more likely to catch traction weird or wash out if you dont. Sit down to try and get better traction or for tight corners.
Its different for SX and MX. SX I try to come into corners sitting and hold it all the way through until I need to seat bounce. Or if its a sweeper I'll sit and lean forward or possibly just lean forward. MX is really depending on the track type and corner. Say Southwick you dont really want to be sitting much but rather be leaning forward. Regular MX tracks I try soaking up the breaking bumps, sit once Im in the corner, then stand on the exit to brace for the acceleration bumps. If its a high speed corner or rough I wont sit at all really just depends. With all that said try not to think about it much and just try and be smooth. Trail and error just experiment what works best for you.
This is just what I was after man. Thank you so much for explaining it, now I can go experiment on my own and see what style fits me :) Thank you dude! I will sacrifice a lamb in your honor.
Borggren123

Post by Borggren123 »

Holm I have to say your input here was invaluable. I've been practicing an un-healthy amount now on the 2016 hangtown track and by sitting down for slow/tight ruts, leaning forward for long fast ones and by sitting down and leaning forward for flat corners regardless tightness. I've managed to cut my best lap down to 2.19 from 2.46 :DDD

I feel a lot more comfortable now and I'm willing to go faster and faster :'D corners I previously took sitting down I now take by leaning forward to ensure I don't wash-out as I gun it like a madman. This game is so much fun I might have a f*cking seizure <3

Now I just need to master the roughness and the seat bouncing, and all the other million things that makes this game so challenging and fun. I still lean back whenever I brake, not fully but just a tad. No idea why but f*ck it, It's my bike I'll ride it like I want :D
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

lmao no problem man glad I could help. I dont think its bad to lean back when you brake like coming into braking bumps. Pretty much what I mean here
Atom6246 wrote:Regular MX tracks I try soaking up the breaking bumps,
Dude41

Post by Dude41 »

Atom6246 wrote:lmao no problem man glad I could help. I dont think its bad to lean back when you brake like coming into braking bumps. Pretty much what I mean here
Atom6246 wrote:Regular MX tracks I try soaking up the breaking bumps,
would love some advice on seat bouncing, I feel like it really hinders my supercross. I can do it here and there but cant really figure the rhyme n reason. lol its hard not to call bs when I see pros triple outa the corner like nothing. also idk if and how much set up plays a factor
gdubmx
Team: mos tarded on forum

Post by gdubmx »

thanks