Multiple server launching (from single file?)

Post your questions here
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Multiple server launching (from single file?)

Post by Wahlamt »

This question is aimed at people who run a few different servers on a Linux based system.

I currently have a few different servers up and running (5-6 ish) where I have the standard "folder" setup. Everything server related in the folder, except trackinfos where as I have them

Code: Select all

../shared/trackinfos/*
However as soon as a server update comes out, I have to change a lot of them, which is both consuming and confusing. The servers files are named like "mxserverNAT" (nationals) and "mxserverSX" for the ease of knowing which file (when running) is which, so I can differentiate them when I execute

top -bc | grep mxserver
so I can see which PID to kill.

To start the server I do

./run
which contains the code

nohup ./mxserverSX --args-file serverargs.txt > consolelog.log 2>&1&
Would it be possible to do something like:
nohup ./../mxserverCOLLECTIVE --args-file serverargs.txt > consolelog.log 2>&1&
where "mxserverCOLLECTIVE" is the one and only file used to start all servers. Also in this scenario, it'd be important to tell the difference from each instance running in the "top" command, which is why I name them differently now. So, could this be done, still being able to differentiate which instance is which of the server?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Multiple server launching (from single file?)

Post by jlv »

I have separate scripts for each server (run00.sh, run01.sh etc.). To see which script started which server I use "ps axf". If you don't want to use the extra shell scripts, you could use pwdx to see the current directory for a specific PID.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Multiple server launching (from single file?)

Post by Wahlamt »

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely look into that once I get some spare time.