Help with my riding - SX specifically

Post your questions here
skyline
Team: Privateer (Looking)

Help with my riding - SX specifically

Post by skyline »

Hey guys!

I started playing MX Sim probably 3 years ago... and have been on and off, never fully committing to improving my game.
I have a new PC (one that I can actually race online in a lobby full) and I'm trying to get quicker.
But there's a couple things I still struggle with and can't figure out.
Sections with a small kicker into a on/off tabletop trip me up. I can't seem to get the bounce needed to clear the jump that follows one of these, so I tend to opt into a different rhythm just to get me through it, even though it's considerably slower. It also happens sometimes in a standard rhythm section, where I can't clear a triple or something cleanly, but I blame my riding more so in that situation. I've had different obstacles along the way, whoops, sand sections, etc. that I ended up figuring out, but I still cringe when I see a tabletop, especially consecutive ones.
Some tips, whether it be rider movement, suspension or other bike setup, would be greatly appreciated.

(I can always post a quick video of a lap if that's necessary...)
skyline
Team: Privateer (Looking)

Re: Help with my riding - SX specifically

Post by skyline »

https://vimeo.com/255823299

And this is all time best case scenario, maybe once every 20 tries :lol:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/255823391
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

About the "on/offs", you seem to just get your front wheel high, not get any sort of pop or even get the rear wheel back up. So instead of just keep leaning back, you have to throw yourself forward to get the rear wheel back up. Just make sure you get back and get the front wheel up first, before you lean forward, so you just don't end up frontflipping.

Then just go for consistency. Myself, I spent 3-4 years playing this game, without ever really being able to just put in clean laps. However as soon as I went for consistency, I skyrocketed in my ability to mainly ride SX. I'm sure no superstar, but I did make a lot of progress. If you get the groove in slow and consistent, you have something to fall back on if you mess up a section, a turn or something else, while if you just keep going for the big lines and failing, you won't get any flow going, which leads to you having no experience on carrying momentum on a track, which is important. Hope this helps a little :)
taelale
Team: VlastMX

Post by taelale »

Yeah just work on seat bouncing, it's kind of like an up-down-up flick with the rider weight.

Another thing no one told me for the longest time is the idea of the auto-clutch. Basically when you up-shift, you get a slight boost in speed like you are slipping the clutch slightly irl. Note that this only works effectively just before the tip of the face of the jump. For instance, on Houston after the whoops, stay high on the berm, make your way to 3rd gear (or 2nd depending on your gearing) and seat bounce while up-shifting twice on the lip of the first jump to hit the triple in.

Hope this helps.