ia32-libs obsoleted?

Post your questions here
Shanasman450
Team: Privateer

ia32-libs obsoleted?

Post by Shanasman450 »

I just switched back to Ubuntu 18.04.1 after Linux Mint 19 didn't play nice with sim. I downloaded all the needed libraries except ia32-libs. When I try installing I get this

Code: Select all

taylorgang@taylorgang:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
[sudo] password for taylorgang: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  lib32ncurses5 lib32z1

E: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidate
taylorgang@taylorgang:~$ 
So I installed lib32ncurses5 and lib32z1. Nothing. I still get this when I try to run sim.

Code: Select all

taylorgang@taylorgang:~$ cd mxsimulator
taylorgang@taylorgang:~/mxsimulator$ ./mx
/home/taylorgang/mxsimulator/mxbin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
taylorgang@taylorgang:~/mxsimulator$ 
I've done this four times now and it's never the same issue getting it to run like it should even on the same version of the same distro.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: ia32-libs obsoleted?

Post by Wahlamt »

Take it for what you will, but when I had a hard time installing mxsim on ubuntu the first time I tried, I looked back and I had installed these libraries. Whether all of them are needed or not I have no idea, but when I had all of these, it started and worked good.
Shanasman450

Post by Shanasman450 »

Wahlamt wrote:Take it for what you will, but when I had a hard time installing mxsim on ubuntu the first time I tried, I looked back and I had installed these libraries. Whether all of them are needed or not I have no idea, but when I had all of these, it started and worked good.
That's the first thing I did.
Shanasman450

Post by Shanasman450 »

Anyone got suggestions? I have looked everywhere and tried every link on this topic and have found not one working way to download ia32-libs. It's just gone. Like it's been removed from the repository.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You need the 32 bit libGL. Not sure which package you need. It'll depend on if you're using the Nvidia GL driver or not.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Shanasman450

Post by Shanasman450 »

Yeah, I was having trouble finding a package that contained that library. I managed to find a package that worked for me.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

That's one of the reasons I like RPM based distributions. You can use "yum provides libGL.so" to find packages that provide the file you're missing.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Out of curiosity, what distro do you use JLV? Any specific changes to it from stock?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I use Fedora on my workstations and Centos on my servers. Mostly stock with xfce and a few extras installed. I tried Ubuntu once but apt/dpkg felt like a huge step back from yum/rpm.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Interesting. I used Fedora too for a while, but switched to Ubuntu later on. Felt like whenever I wanted something like spotify, skype or really any other program I ran on my windows machines (that wasn't windows exclusives) I had a hard time finding something that worked on fedora, while Ubuntu had it all. Perhaps it's my general lacking understanding of repos, key etc that gave me that conclusion and I could have installed everything with more knowledge.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

That's the reason I wanted to try Ubuntu as well. The package manager was just a big disappointment to me. I can get the non free stuff on Fedora by using the RPM fusion repo. So that takes care of the main problem with Fedora whereas on Ubuntu I'm stuck with apt/dpkg.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com